Re: MIDIbox CV V1.1 and MBHP_AOUT_LC

logo64

Whatever this little pissing match is about, I'll first ask politely for it to stop. 

How quickly can you ensure that TK won't want to release anything else related to CV?  Keep this up if you want to find out.

TK gets paid only in self-satisfaction for overcoming technical hurdles, a good feeling from helping strangers, and the general outpouring of thanks & goodwill from the community.

Hijacking a release thread into a fight is not the way to say "thanks for your hard work".

Not pointing fingers @ anyone, everyone who participates is to blame.

I don't care who started it, who's daddy can beat up who's daddy, etc.

Please prove to me that you guys are actually adults and can play friendly, so that I don't have to put on the admin hat and "re-phrase" my request to end this before it degrades the forum further.

I really hope you guys spend more time playing with your gear than debating features, as this seems like a massive waste of tinker time.

As usual I don't pretend to speak for TK or anyone else, these views are mine.

Best

SmashTV

SmashTV: I think a comparison between Midibox CV and its alternatives is completely on point for this thread, given the discussion of future features.

As far as I can see in this thread, people got excited about new features, other convertors were discussed and compared, and uninformed opinions were refuted. Oh and bad behaviour was chastized. Sounds like a typical day in the life on a forum  ;D

I really hope you guys spend more time playing with your gear than debating features, as this seems like a massive waste of tinker time.

But seriously, may I politely point out that discussion time (heated or not) is often just as valuable as tinker time? It helps guide the technical process in terms making informed decisions about the tools of the trade.

cheers,

michel

ps. I take discussions like this seriously seeing as producing & performing is my sole living

I don't care who started it... etc.

Ah, that would be me! Ease up Smashy - it's just some Friday fun ;)

Wow, you're pretty cranky.

That's a well know fact for fellow forum members! ;)

Stirring up some discussion while Thorsten is evaluating options for the next release shouldn't be that bad. I'm not here to say Fvck arpeggiarator 'cause I don't need it and You can always use SID with CV output for that.

I doubt that even hotter discussions really matter to Thorsten - of course the man himself knows. HE does incredible stuff with things he's interested in and listens to reasonable suggestions.

Moebius

Holy crap....

Sorry guys!

I just realized that when I read this thread the first time, I did not see any of the smilies in any of the posts that were heated....My bad!  It reads totally different without them.  When TK did the forum upgrade a few days ago it started serving a WAP http://www.answers.com/topic/wap version of the forum, and I have been reading via my Palm E2.  On my browser, on the Palm, none of the smilies are shown in the body of a message.

If you read it without those it looks like you guys were getting a bit personal....  :D

Looks quite fine with the smilies.  ;)

My apologies, I did not like browsing on that thing anyway, now I have a great reason not too.. ::)

Best

Smash

Stirring up some discussion while Thorsten is evaluating options for the next release shouldn't be that bad. I'm not here to say Fvck arpeggiarator 'cause I don't need it and You can always use SID with CV output for that.

Or MIDIbox SEQ, which is my most powerful arpeggiator implementation so far (see http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_tutorial4.html), and it provides CV outs as well. I'm sure that I won't put this code into the MBCV, it would be wasted time. Instead I will just improve the MBSID arpeggiator a little - and not more!

In fact, for myself the main intention behind the MBCV improvements is to get some more experiences with modulation/trigger routing in order to find out, what is possible with the PIC, and what not. These experiences will flow into the MIDIbox SID sound engine V2 (next year or so...).

So, of course, it's useful to know which features other guys have realized in order to get some inspirations for future projects (than sooner I consider them, then more consistent the final engine), but my focus is definitely not to beat the others - I just want to have some fun!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Oh good! Everybody's on the "same page" now  8)

I agree - the fancy arps should stick with the MB Seq.

Moebius, I've lurked on this board for years, so I should have remembered that you get cranky  ;D

I admit, I get into really excited discussions very easily when it comes to gear... heheh. Obsessive? Yes! Definitely.

Regards to all here,

michel

Geez i'm an idiot, too many short bus moments for me lately....palm guru says get wap instead of imode page and smilies come back, he's right!  :D

Anyway......

How much of an issue is temp. co. on the resistor ladder DAC?

The reason I ask is my in progress layout for the AOUTLC has the resistor "farm" spread out and spaced so DIP resistor networks can be loaded instead of individual resistors.....will this cause accuracy issues vs. loaded with discrete resistors?

Best Regards

Smash

PS: thanks for the private teasing about my "mastery" of the net, very funny stuff! ;)

Oh good! Everybody's on the "same page" now  8)

Sure!

I admit, I get into really excited discussions very easily when it comes to gear... heheh. Obsessive? Yes! Definitely.

Obsessive?! Hell Yeah! Sometimes prejudiced & stubborn, before proven otherwise (see below) *grin* It also could be a mental condition. (I'm referring to myself!! No offense!)  ;D

Peace, Moebius

(P.S. It might have helped the discussion to easier style, If I had received the spare parts for my MC-505 on Friday.. Sick things happen: I was totally against the "Groovebox" concept, when I bought it broken -> just to fix it and resell it. Damn. I tried it out and found out that even with broken LCD I can operate basic functions without looking in the manual. IT STAYS! It's still sorta ugly and presets make me sick - but it suits my workflow. Heh.)

P.P.S. Smash - Doesn't discrete metalfoil 1% resistors have 50ppm/C tempco? It's small and unavoidable. See, if DIP resistor network datasheets have tempco specified. Anyway - it shouldn't matter at all, even in the applications needing high accuraty - overall "system" non-linearities will be higher.

P.P.S. Smash - Doesn't discrete metalfoil 1% resistors have 50ppm/C tempco? It's small and unavoidable. See, if DIP resistor network datasheets have tempco specified. Anyway - it shouldn't matter at all, even in the applications needing high accuraty - overall "system" non-linearities will be higher.

I second that - the non-linearity caused by unequal R values is higher. I guess that highest accuracy can only be achived by using integrated, laser-trimmed R ladders ($$$ - this is, what the MAX525 makes so expensive), or by using high precision Rs, which are normaly used for measuring instruments ($$$$$)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I second that - the non-linearity caused by unequal R values is higher. I guess that highest accuracy can only be achived by using integrated, laser-trimmed R ladders ($$$ - this is, what the MAX525 makes so expensive), or by using high precision Rs, which are normaly used for measuring instruments ($$$$$)

Aww - good analysis Thorsten, actually I didn't even think about THAT! ;)

With overall "system" non-linearities I meant things out of scope of the AOUT itself -> things to be controlled.

VCFs are usually non-temperature compensated, residual drift being around 3350ppm/C.

VCOs with passive temperature compensation (temco resistor) are rather stable, but there's still residual shift coming from the different temperature depencies of the different components. This is usually "good enough" and so is the AOUT_LC.  8)

Moebius

Hi

Back to an earlier part of this thread - a suggestion for the feature list;

Re-trigger select for the EGs would be useful, i.e. "Normal" mode, where every new note will trigger the EG regardless of whether any other notes are being held down, and "legato" mode where if a note is held down, any new notes don't re-trigger the EG - which is good for trills and solo stuff. Both are useful, Normal is prob. the most useful of the two.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...