9v 6581 E?

Slorrin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the E board ("short board") only equipped with 8580's? That would mean that the SID socket gives 9 V DC.

6581's were used on the earlier, longer board, although housed in a similar newer style case. 12 V DC at the SID socket.

Here's a tip: case held together with plastic clips means short board, case held together with screws means older board revisions.

i think with 'slimline C64C' you mean the C64-II, right?

well, my first C64 war a C64-II with 6581 chip inside. all c64-II had a slim case, but not all c64-II were equipped with a 8580.

it's very easy to determine if a c64-II has a 6581 or 8580 inside. just look at the Function-Keys.

If everything (F1-F8) is printed on top of the keys, you will find a 8580 inside.

If F1, F3, F5 and F7 is printed on top but F2, F4, F6 and F8 is printed on front of the keys, you will find a 6581 inside.

Anyway, I haven't measured the voltages yet, but I'm almost sure that all 6581 are 9V only.

I will check my C64-II (6581) soon.

There is so much inaccurate information out there apparently.  Everyone's got a different take on the issue.

I thought it was a C64-II, then someone told me it was a C64C, then C64-II again.  Regardless, it's the whitish slimiline deal.  I opened it up and it's got a 6581 R4, which i haven't tested the voltage of yet.  Assuming it's 12 or 9, i will just use the apropriate parts in the midibox.. if it's 9 volts, i assume you can just use the 8550 configuration which is also for 9 volts.. i assume......buuuut.. if not... much sadness.

ok, just checked the voltage and everything...it IS 12V

look for yourself...

this is my C64C (or C64-II as some may call it):

IMG_0836.JPG

another picture from the sticker on the backside:

IMG_0837.JPG

if you open it up, a 6581 R4 will show up:

IMG_0838.JPG

i measured the voltage between Vdd (which should be +12V) and Vss (GND) and it shows aproxx. 12V:

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

now fot the "other" C64C (or C64-II) which has a 8580 inside...

as you can see, the case looks the same but the keys are different:

IMG_0841.JPG

the sticker on the backside even looks the same:

IMG_0842.JPG

yes yes, I know, the spot is empty. but beleive me, a 8580 was sitting there some time ago until I took it out to fit it in my Midibox SID:

IMG_0843.JPG

measuring again between Vdd and Vss shows 9V for the 8580:

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

I've never seen a 6581 which only needs 9V instead of 12V.

I don't know if it's important, but the keyboard on the first C64 is indicative of an earlier model. Presumably it was stuffed into a later case during the transitional period. This probably accounts for the fact that i've seen several 'later' type C64's with both 6581's and the later PSU's.

• 2 months later...

i think with 'slimline C64C' you mean the C64-II, right?

well, my first C64 war a C64-II with 6581 chip inside. all c64-II had a slim case, but not all c64-II were equipped with a 8580.

it's very easy to determine if a c64-II has a 6581 or 8580 inside. just look at the Function-Keys.

If everything (F1-F8) is printed on top of the keys, you will find a 8580 inside.

If F1, F3, F5 and F7 is printed on top but F2, F4, F6 and F8 is printed on front of the keys, you will find a 6581 inside.

Anyway, I haven't measured the voltages yet, but I'm almost sure that all 6581 are 9V only.

I will check my C64-II (6581) soon.

hi Front, this could be happened for the old c64 too or just for the II? Because there are different print of function-keys for the old style c64 too right?

thankyou!

hi Front, this could be happened for the old c64 too or just for the II? Because there are different print of function-keys for the old style c64 too right?

thankyou!

it looks like you mean the C64G. The C64G comes with the old style case but with the same print of function-keys like the new C64c and with a SID-8580.

You can see a picture of the C64G here

here in italy people throw their c64s away! i've found 3 in the dumpster and 5 donated to the local charity that i picked up free (since i work there)

when i see them for sale on ebay its too much, but that is true of any country

i think you just need to know where to look

I didn't mention that there were already 2  c64s that had been sitting there collecting dust for 5 years when i started working there -- and I bought those two. The owner just started giving them to me after that.

Only poor immigrants come to the place (looking for clothes, furniture, other non-obsolete things), so if I donate my time to get a few obsolete computers, no harm done! :)

• 2 weeks later...