Jaicen

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for doing what??

Well, my Simmons drum module for example expects +7V for a full velocity trigger at the 5 pin sequencer input.  It will trigger at 5V, but at a reduced velocity.  My Roland System 100 from memory expects +12V or +15V.  Other modules, especially home made or cloned ones, may expect a higher voltage too.  It might also be useful for controlling high-current lights or LEDs in a MIDI controlled light show, or for those in the MIDIfication forum working on old organs etc.

I also had this slightly insane idea for implementing velocity/accent in a drum sequencer by boosting the voltage to all the pins simultaneously.  I think this chip could handle that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey man, sorry I sort of allowed this thread to become a little old and dusty!

I think I did finish the PCB's, after a fashion, but I haven't got round to building any. I think there are a couple of errors on the Hat's board too. I got a job around the same time and it's eaten up most of my PBC making time. Since I already have a DR-110 which i'm adding DIN-sync to, I figured i'd build the 808 clone i've always promised myself first ;)

Last week however I did start work on a better version of my DR-55 clone, with all the pots mounted on the PCB and also included a velocity CV input for each sound. So far i've finished the rimshot, but the others could be a long-time in coming.

To be honest, I think i'd be better off starting from scratch with the clones. I've learned a lot about PCB layouts, and I think I could make the boards much better if I re-do them.

Thanks for reply Jaicen.

To be honest I'm a busy on other projects too (TR-9090 & TR-808

clone). But I want to add some other sounds to my analog drums

set up. I think at least I gonna build the DR-110 Hi Hats that I really

like a lot (more than the 808 ones). So I gonna start to see the

schematics...

Sebo

I tend to agree, I think the hats on the DR-110 are probably the nicest analogue hats i've ever heard.

I actually plan to put the noise & chime generator from the 110 into my 808 clone, with switches to select between them. That way I can get the best of both worlds with the Snare, cymbals and hats!

EDIT: Actually, I just looked up the schems for the 808 and found something interesting. The Cymbal section is almost exactly the same as the DR-110, right down to the values of the twin-T noise filter! This means that it would be a very simple job to substitute the noise and 'chime' sources. From what I can tell, the only real difference between the two versions of the hats and cymbal are the specific frequencies chosen for the schmitt oscillators, and the fact that the DR-110 uses a harsher digital noise source.

Just had to share this with you guys, I don't think my girlfriend really understands ;)

This is my new baby, complete with the original Practical Electronics manual used to build it!

I'm very excited! Only downside is that she who will be obeyed says I can't play with it till christmas (good thing she's at work when it arrived! I had to test it...)

It's a wierd little box, sounds a bit like a DR-55 crossed with a CR-78 and programs in the same way. Actually, I think it's closer to the CR-78 with the brush and noise cymbals. Either way, it sounds great!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MASTER-RHYTHM-DRUM-MACHINE_W0QQitemZ230049205781QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38069QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey Jaicen:

Great for you man !!!!

Recently I missed to buy a DR-110 in e-bay. I asked the seller if he

can ship to my country, he say yes, then I look if I can spend the

money (even my wife agreed), but when I go to buy it, was alredy

solded :(

Next time...

Back to the schematics...

Sebo

Yeah, bad luck on that man!

I'd quite like another one to keep in my 'collection' of sorts, but the prices they've been fetching lately has been pretty high. I think £40 inc shipping is about right, but they're going for upwards of £60. There's a DR-55 on ebay right now that's at £50 with 3 days to go, and it's unboxed!?! 

• 1 month later...

Good boy!! The DR-110 rules!

The manuals can be downloaded from rolandus.com. You have to register with a valid email address, but you can get manuals for everything for free.

The P-BUS is just something to do with the output jack being a stereo jack, with the right channel used as an external input into the output buffer. It lets you plug in a second sound source, such as a bass into the output if you don't have a mixer.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but it was popular in Japan where rehearsal space is at more of a premium ;)

Well, as it happens i've been modding my DR-110. Since my girlfriend dropped it, necessitating repairs to the case and PCB, I figured I may as well add  MIDI sync capability.

I'm working on an internal mod that just replaces the trigger out jack, and responds to MIDI start/stop bytes. When I get it working properly, you'll be able to see all my work on the website of the guy that did the coding probably (his name escapes me right now).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm building some analog drum voices for my seq...

starting with:

dr55 kick

dr110 snare/hats

the kick works ok but the snare doesn't sound right

could someone send me a sample of the snare?

PM me for my emailaddress...

thanks,

Michaël

• 3 weeks later...