Possibility for midi router?

basta73

Hi Kent,

IMHO i would prefer the 4-slaves-on-a-board solution. I have some real troubles with some of my older equipment using this ´double-decker´technique. First, its more or less hard to change components, second, the hard wiring tends to produce bad soldering points after a while (ok, some years maybe... ;)). Another point is, you will need much space in z-direction for this construction.

Axel

Guest Johannes

Well I think we (you  :P) should go for the 4-slaves-on-a-board solution as I suppose most of us would like to build a 1U 19'' unit and boards with ´double-decker´technique would most probably not fit in there (1U = 4,4cm).

greetz

Johannes

OK Friends. :D

Here is the PCB Board for 4 slave, its 77x177mm.

CON1-8 are the 4 MIDI in and output.

CON9 are for connection to the core.

If you only need 4 slaves the mount 2 SIL 6x100K in R21 and R22.

If you need 8 slaves, use 2 board in ´double-decker´technique (easy fits in a 19" rack 1U case), on board A, connect CON9 to the core, on board B mount 2 SIL 6x100K in COM9 place (there are some extra pad for it).

Make a connection between the 2 boards using R21 and R22 place with 13 solid core wire.

A better explanation and a componentlist will follow later.

Also the picture is scale down.

Kent

mrtr4x1a.jpg

PS. Thorsten can I send you a pdf of it, that you can put on your site?

I wished my danish skills were better, but the only words I still remember from my last holidays in denmark are "smörrebröd" and "tuborg beer" ;-)

We can publish this circuit officially when it has been verified. I cannot guarantee that it really works before I've tested the whole system (however, I don't expect unsolvable problems...).

Which dimensions did you use for the board? Does it fit on a common euro size PCB (160/100 mm)?

Christoffer noticed that I used a 10 MHz crystal instead of 20 MHz. This was an error in the schematic --- 20 MHz are required for the maximum performance.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey Thorsten

Sorry, the dimensions does not fit on a common euro size PCB, its 177x77mm.

I may be able to squeeze it to 160mm, but the tracks will be to close for "amateur" to make it.

Btw, your danish is something like my skills in german language  ;D

As there are no hardware select to each slave, I suspect that each slave will have a unique id and the core will have to check all slave if one request service, or ?

Something like select a slave by software and the selected one will only be on the databus.

(Just thinking a little about how you will make the software).

OK that it this time.

Kent

Hi Kent,

please try it, because it will be hard to get a cheap non-euro size PCB. :-/ Maybe it's better to put CON9 in the middle and to arrange two slaves at the left, two at the right side.

The slaves itself are selected over the data bus when A0=1. Every slave has one dedicated select bit.

For the slave ID setup I plan to provide a seperate MIOS application which initiates a special password sequence to change the ID. Only one slave should be connected to the bus at this time. The slave will save the ID in EEPROM so that this procedure is only required once.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: although my plans are clear, I don't will find the time to realize this application before May. Other projects have higher priority

Hi there ...

This is my first alpha version of a midirouter-board

It's 80x100 mm with 4 ports, so it's very easy to get 8 Midi-In-Out on a pcb 160x100 mm.

I can't do this by myself because of limitations of the freeware version to 80x100mm.

midirouter_a1.jpg

Notes:

> 2-layer-pcb

> I don't know if soldering is easy (dil-sockets?)

> mounting holes

> not verified

Feel free for advices ;)

If somebody needs the .brd - file  ... no problem :)

Bye Pearl

Houston...  :-[

Making a 2-layer PCB will be mostly impossible to many users. I would not know how to do this with affordable equipment, and the costs for doing this externally (at some place specialized in making PCB boards) will be comparably high... I even think we lose the chance of Mike offering the board if it is 2-layer.

Best, ilmenator

Hi All,

Making a 2-layer PCB will be mostly impossible to many users. I would not know how to do this with affordable equipment,

Making a 2-layer board is possible with your existing equipment. First, drill a couple of holes through the board so the top and bottom negatives (or whatever method you are using) can be aligned by putting a pin or piece of wire through the holes. Then expose/transfer the pattern and etch. When assembling, solder both top and bottom of component leads and, since the holes are not plated through, use a piece of wire or cut-off piece of resistor lead through the vias and solder to the tracks.

Now three or four layer boards are another story.  ;D ;D ;D

Later,

Mickey

OK here is a new PCB version that fits on a standart eurocard, it 154x94mm, and single side.

mrtr4x2a.jpg

btw as seen in Pearl's PCB it not problem to make it small if is dual side, but I prefer single to home use.

And Pearl, I suggest that you use 45g on bending track rather than  90g (the water runs more smoov)  ;)

Kent

Hey Mickey,

thanks for explaining how to make double sided PCBs! Now I am not so afraid of them any more...  :)

Still I think single sided boards are more likely to be sold at Mike's place, so I would prefer a single sided layout as an "official" version.

Best, ilmenator

Btw.: USB drivers are no problem: under Windows ME/2000/XP, Mac OS X and Linux the standard drivers for MIDI USB have been integrated. The USB device on the other side only needs to send the required USB descriptors to open multiple MIDI In/Out ports (I already tried this by hacking my MIDIman midisport 2x2 interface which runs with a Cypress chip)

So - the show can begin once some DIY friendly PICs with integrated USB interface are available. ;-) In the meantime this router will only be useable as mega-merger or whatever.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey ilmenator,

You're welcome.

Still I think single sided boards are more likely to be sold at Mike's place, so I would prefer a single sided layout as an "official" version.

Yeah, I prefer the single sided boards too. Not as much soldering to do! One job I had, if we got a board of a particular manufacturer (read cheap) that didn't work or was intermittant, the first thing we did was spend an hour or so heating each via and inserting #26 wire in each. Seem like the holes were not plated properly and solder would not flow through them when they were wave soldered. Then the weak connection would break and I would have to repair the darn things. That usually fixed the problem. (Think 1000 or so vias - the bottom of the board looked like a grassy field before I clipped the wires I soldered in.)

Later,

Mickey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has this got to a point were it's a doable project yet...? (think i emailed Kent a while ago)

I really could do with one of these as I'm out of midi i/o now :/

I know it'll noly work as a monster merger until the new PICs have landed, but this is all i need it for currently anyhow...

Nice...

Dan