new Mbox Project

DavidBanner

Hi,

Firstly let me thank anyone who takes the time to read, reply and or help me with my project.

I'm planning to build a mbox with the specs listed below and would like to check that I'm on the right path so far...

DINs: 119

(115 buttons and 2 encoders)

AINs: 64

(21 faders, 41 knobs and 1 joystick)

LEDs: 95

I am planning to use the ain64_din128_dout128 application - it supports 64 pots, 128 buttons and 128 LEDs.

Questions:

Is it possible to stick 1 encoder and 30 buttons on the same DINX4 module?

Does anyone know where to get "Led Diffusers" from? I want the ring shaped ones like Allen and Heath use on the xzone:3d, they are very sexy but I can't find anywhere that does them.

Can someone please check the following diagram to see if I'm on the right track:

design2.jpg

thanks again

D

Hi Nas,

Thanks for the reply - it's nice to meet you!

Are only 64 buttons supported even when using the ain64_din128_dout128 application ??

It says in the download section:

ain64_din128_dout128_v2_0.zip  - MIOS configured for 64 pots, 128 buttons, 128 LEDs - don't forget: all unused analog inputs must be clamped to ground!

D

Hey Nas,

No problem, you warned me to dbl check ;)

From what I gather this is the kind of place where everyone is meant to discuss and learn together right! I'm a complete newbie to this level of electronic design, I'm learning so much my head is spinning, but I'm loving every minute.

D

All looks great man :)

Answers in order:

Yes

No

Yes

Geez you made that easy heheheh

From what I gather this is the kind of place where everyone is meant to discuss and learn together right!

Right you are :) At least, I hope so, or I ask too many questions!

I'm a complete newbie to this level of electronic design, I'm learning so much my head is spinning, but I'm loving every minute.

Yep, that means you've been bitten by the bug :D Hope you have fun man, welcome to the forum!

hey and welcome;

just wanted to say that ain64_din128_dout128 application is an example application.

i never built it, so i'm no expert on this, but looking at the main.asm (where the apllication is configured) this example is not as user friendly as the complete applications as for instance mb64, which is very similar (but has 64 buttons/leds max).

compare the ain64_din128_dout128 main.asm to the MB64 main.asm, you'll see what i mean.

also i dont know if it's easy to implement encoders in this app as in mb64 it is.

not wanting to kill nice intentions, (and maybe you are just far better at this stuff as me) if you are sure you NEED 128 buttons, you could give it a try..

but if i scared ya ;); take a look at mb64; you could have (if i'm correct):

64 ain (pots faders joysticks)

64 din (so maybe 60 buttons+2enc)

64 dout (leds etc)

then you could later even add another core which handles the rest of your buttons and leds (this is how the monster controllers in the galery are made)

just giving you some options..

good luck, marcel

My 2c, I am never sure why anyone uses pots instead of encoders... For sliders and joysticks it makes sense of course...

I must admit though, that's a whole lotta control surface you're talking about... Do you really need all that? What's the plan? I'm all curious ;)

>not wanting to kill nice intentions, (and maybe you are just far better at this stuff as me) if you are sure you NEED 128 buttons, you could give it a try..

actually, I really want 134 buttons, but 128 is the max right? And yes I'm sure I need all of em.

I'm building an ableton interface for Djing and live performances, I really need as much has possible at my fingertips, swapping between channels and params with a mouse just aint gonna cut it at 5am in a sweaty club with a skin full...

I originally planned on building a 2 core beasty, but given that the app has been written it made more sense to go down the ain64_din128_dout128 application route.

Do you think it's going to be hard getting everything up and running using the ain64_din128_dout128  route? I'd rather avoid anything that's too much of a head-fuck to configure on the first build. That's why I decided against a 2 core route, as I figured there would be lots more programming to do. I am sure I could handle the C code, but assembler scares me.

>My 2c, I am never sure why anyone uses pots instead of encoders... For sliders and joysticks it makes sense of course...

mmm, interesting. How would an EQ in abelton work using an encoder? The same way as a pot would?

D

mmm, interesting. How would an EQ in abelton work using an encoder? The same way as a pot would?

Same way, the value of the encoder (0-126 aka 1-127) is stored in the app and the encoder increases or decreases it. There are lots of other tricks too, have a read about encoders :)

>There's a section in the Wiki,

yes, that's where I've been going to get info.

I originally read that and took it to mean, that you'd map one direction to one button in the host app (ie ableton) and the other direction to another button - i.e. right turn does the up button, left turn does the down button.

but on re-reading, after your comments, all is clear.

I've just added a sentance to the end of your entry in the wikki explaining what you  said....

Do you think it's going to be hard getting everything up and running using the ain64_din128_dout128  route? I'd rather avoid anything that's too much of a head-fuck to configure on the first build. That's why I decided against a 2 core route, as I figured there would be lots more programming to do. I am sure I could handle the C code, but assembler scares me.

when i look at it, to me it looks harder to config. And i'm sure forum/wiki/people can help you with the 2 core option.(will cost you one core more though)

like i said; the ain64_din128 is an example (can be used to learn and expand), the mb64 will probably have more user functions implemented and is more "ready to go"

but please look in both main.asm files (especially the mb64 one) you can read em with any text editor; if you do this you know what i mean; configuring a "complete application" is kinda like a multiple choise quiz

hey; even i can configure it and i don't even know what coding is  ;)

but again, i'm not trying to make you choose mb64 over the other; just saying it would be good to compare.

cheers

With regard the allen and heath diffusers;

I love Allen and Heath, always have always will. I used to live in Cornwall in a place called Falmouth just a few minutes from A&H HQ. The staff and engineers their are more than helpful. Drop them a line via their website and request the LEDs as spares.

BTW: I'm talking about the diffusers not the LEDs. The diffuser is the ring shaped lens (aka Halo ring) that diffuses the light and makes it all sexy that the led goes underneath.

Sorry to get off topic here....

Any of the CAD boys want to discuss the design of some halo rings?

It needs to be something I can mill from a sheet with only one flip of the workpiece.

The cost of entry for injection molding is still way too high, but I have an NC mill collecting dust right now that could be converted to punch these out by the hundreds, even without an operator (small enough workpiece for a shaker feed!)

Said design -might- also make it's way into the production Kombine controller, but that is not my choice to make.....  ;)

The perfect design in my eyes is something I could stock in the store with a 25 cent price tag. 

Any thoughts?

Best

Smash

Said design -might- also make it's way into the production Kombine controller, but that is not my choice to make.....  ;)

OK, hint taken. :D I've been waiting till your production duties slacked off before mailing you. I guess that's now? :)

-drin