Wireless MIDI

Sasha

As I get MIDI signal is just a serious of pulses, right? So, it must be wery easy to transmit/receive it wirelesly. I think easiest way is over IR. Somebody done something similar or have idea how to do it? Radio transmiting is better but I think IR is easier.

Hm, I tought...instead of optocoupler transmiting and receiving part could be little bigger distance and that`s it. But if it is so simple it would probably be done till now. ;D

rf PIC... sounds great if somebody do hard work, and we just make it phisical.  ;) I know nothing about programing PICs ...just trying to follow the god of MIDI

Hi,

if you take a look at the midi protocol (http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midi_specification) you might see what TK said: Not every packet has three bytes, some of them have only two and SystemRealtime is totally different.

E.g. if the StatusByte of a 3-byte-package gets lost and the (2nd) DataByte is interpreted as (1st) StatusByte, you might get a PRG-CH instead of a NOTE_ON... that wouldn't be so nice, esp. if you're on stage ;D  I can image what might happen if some bytes get lost when transmitting a SysEx Application update  :o

...but don't take my opinion for granted, I learned all about MIDI by myself...

If I would experiment with wireless MIDI, I'd first try to submit uncritical packets only and use it as an optional method.

Otherwise it is really needed to write an additional protocol that somehow wraps the packets and brings the possibility to verify that the received data is the same as the sent data :)

Actually this points me to my old PS1-Lightgun, that's waiting to be cannibalized anyway (don't have no 75Hz TV anymore), it would be funny transmitting data by laser or IR that's just received when you point to the right direction  8)

In this case it wouldn't hurt if some notes are wrong, but in other than experimental cases, I think it's a lot of work without knowing that it can be processed with acceptable latency.

Best,

Michael

I don't know what you plan about wireless MIDI, but as far as I can remember, you're an experimental midi-boxer, too, right?

What about a wireless transmission of a DIN-module?

So that you don't actually transmit MIDI, but have a DIN-module connected by RF to the core? :-/

Would save battery energy, too...

Hi,

if you take a look at the midi protocol (http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midi_specification) you might see what TK said: Not every packet has three bytes, some of them have only two and SystemRealtime is totally different.

E.g. if the StatusByte of a 3-byte-package gets lost and the (2nd) DataByte is interpreted as (1st) StatusByte, you might get a PRG-CH instead of a NOTE_ON...

Errors are possible with missing bytes but not as you state.  The first byte of a MIDI command has the high bit set, data bytes do not.  A controller can distiguish between commands and data.  In running status mode missing bytes are a whole different story...

• 5 months later...

Both CME and M-Audio have announced cheap wireless MIDI units in the last week or so.  The M-Audio one is built in to a small controller keyboard, and the receiver has USB and MIDI in and out.  They are releasing a plug in (ie no keyboard) unit soon.

... to whom it might interest:

http://www.cme-pro.com/products-list/product-widi-8.html

Greets, Roger