quick question about voltage on CORE

marcus77

Hey there

I'm progressing with my SID as my PSU IS working now ;D.So I checked the voltage on the CORE before putting the PIC and it is 5.33V. I just wanted to know if that's ok with the PIC and the optocoupler or does it HAS to be exactly 5V ?

Thanks again for the help

Marc

The 5.4v you're getting is probably due to the wayward tolerances of most 1/4w resistors commonly available. You'll probably find that one or more of the resistors which makes up the regulator circuit is slightly over/under the valu it's showing, in which case either find another with better tolerance or add a second resistor in series.

If it's a real issue for you, you could always put in a resistor in series with the output of the psu to drop the voltage a little. R=V/I so if you have a current of 100mA a 400 Ohm resistor will give you a voltage drop of 0.4v and hey presto, clean regulated +5v supply. The series resistor will also help with supply noise if you're finding that's a problem.

Bizarre - the way I learned it, R=EI.  (Yup, "E" is voltage)

I find this strange (E=voltage) because E is and always has been energy ie. E=mc2. I work in a first year physics lab in Brisbane, Australia and I have a never heard of it being E. We have heaps of foreign students too.

Which country is this?

I find this strange (E=voltage) because E is and always has been energy ie. E=mc2. I work in a first year physics lab in Brisbane, Australia and I have a never heard of it being E. We have heaps of foreign students too.

Which country is this?

Electronics people take all your physics stuff and simplifies it..  DISTILLS it if you must.. to stuff that makes sense to us.  ;)

E=Electromotive force. The most proper form of the equation, is in fact E=IR..  which, from phsyics, makes sense. Electromotive FORCE (work) must equal Current times Resistance. E is a form of work, and can be measured in Joules or Coulombs (the electron version of work, or joules).

However, V makes sense, as VOLTS is the unit of measurement for Electromotive force.

So.. E is more right than anyone!  ;)

I= induction by the way. Force applied to a resistance INDUCES current.

ohh right and to clarify..

"If we expend one joule of work (energy) in the process of moving one coulomb (6.25x10^18 electrons) of charge from one point to another, than the two points have a difference of potential of one volt."

So, Electromotive force IS energy.

Even if they werent the same, we'd steal your letters anyway ;)

Electronics people take all your physics stuff and simplifies it..  DISTILLS it if you must.. to stuff that makes sense to us.  ;)

E=Electromotive force. The most proper form of the equation, is in fact E=IR..  which, from phsyics, makes sense. Electromotive FORCE (work) must equal Current times Resistance. E is a form of work, and can be measured in Joules or Coulombs (the electron version of work, or joules).

However, V makes sense, as VOLTS is the unit of measurement for Electromotive force.

So.. E is more right than anyone!  ;)

I= induction by the way. Force applied to a resistance INDUCES current.

Cool. I'm with you now. I've never heard of EMF (that's the term commonly used here, in my lab at least. Don't like to leave my hole :P) being shortened to E, probably due to the CONFUSION that would arise. LOL. That's why physics people over explain stuff and leave it undistilled. LOL. No disrespect cause the post grads in the electronics lab help me out all the time.

If we're going to get pedantic about this then yeah, technically EMF is probably correct, but should be represented by a lower case e in an equation. However, EMF is not generally used in modern electronics except where induction is concerned, or where physisists are trying to look smart (no offence to anyone here of course!).  As it happens, the symbol for induction is actually a lower case L not in fact an I which always stands for current because of some german bloke, don't ask me who!

hey.. theres only so many letters in the alphabet right?! heh..

Personally, I like V.. E was always a little weird, and I learned to accept it long enough to get a piece of paper that says I know what I am doing.. and promptly went back to V  ;)