Friday the 13th!!!

Twin-X

Yeh I think it might have been restored from the backup from Thursday night, which means Friday daytime is lost forever, floating electrons in the sky :(

Oh yeh the smileys are busted too I think. Ihatecomputersface 

OK I made that one up, but all forums should have that smiley ;)

I wonder if I write Wink now if it will become a winky face later? heheheh

Hey Ilmenator&co I don't suppose you backed up the GLCD project docs? I'm really keen to check it out, and I read the post saying that it was on the wiki in full, and clicked the link... and that was the exact moment the servers died I think.  :(

Edit: Twin-X, these are neither demands nor mere suggestions that you fix this stuff, just stuff I've observed. No pressure, mate :)

Hey stryd,

you are right, only the teaser is up there... sorry, I currently do not have access to the documents myself and I am back on a slow modem connection after a year of DSL (but that will change again very soon), Gertius will go to Australia for half a year or so tomorrow, but I hope that some of the other guys have time for uploading the stuff again very soon. I will send some emails to them right now :).

Best regards and thanks for restoring that forum so quickly twin - I caught myself checking it every other hour... Am I an addict?

ilmenator

PS: One more teaser here...  ;D

403_MIDIbox-GLCD_jpg931a262104d8d5b24664

I caught myself checking it every other hour... Am I an addict?

Thanks for the update illy.

Well I didn't check quite that often, but I checked a fair bit, and I will admit to announcing "awesome!" rather loudly when the RSS feed suddenly sprang to life :)

I think part of it was knowing the forum was back up, and part of it was knowing the weight that came off twin-x's shoulders :)

Im just curious, whats the average bandwidth requirements for the forum? How much data is used per month? Im only asking as I may be able to offer a  a linux server here in Australia which is on a 24mb/s connection which could be used as a mirror, or at least a place to back the data up. Its already used for business applications which require high uptime so its ready to go and pretty secure. Im not even sure it would help, but worth asking!

Im just curious, whats the average bandwidth requirements for the forum? How much data is used per month? Im only asking as I may be able to offer a  a linux server here in Australia which is on a 24mb/s connection which could be used as a mirror, or at least a place to back the data up. Its already used for business applications which require high uptime so its ready to go and pretty secure. Im not even sure it would help, but worth asking!

Can You offer anything that 1and1.com can't offer? (it's my preference)

*.midibox.org is these days hosted in pretty stable server(s) - Thank, Twin-X!

But lack off clustering with daily backups sounds, uh, sorta unprofessional :D

Moebius

So far I remember, the current bandwith is about 20GB/month, it increases non-linear (we had about 15GB/month last year)

However, there is no need to move server, I'm very happy with the current solution, it runs much more stable and really fast compared to the servers we had ca. 3 years ago! Can't thank Twin-X often enough! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The currentbandwidth i set for midibox is 30GB as i allowed picture hosting as well.

I never knew backup was not included in my package. It costs 2 dollars a month per gigabyte on my whole server.

I just purchased it.

Do not only thank me but also our genorous donator's who drop a coin from time to time! You know who you are!! So a big thanks from me towards you!

Regards,

Jeffry

Hi TK/Twin-X,

miosstudio.midibox.org no longer seems to be working, is this related to the server failure?

Cheers,

- Adam

This is related to the server crash all "sub" domains are gone.

It will be fixed.

Just use www.midibox.org/miosstudio for the time being.

The currentbandwidth i set for midibox is 30GB as i allowed picture hosting as well.

I never knew backup was not included in my package. It costs 2 dollars a month per gigabyte on my whole server.

I just purchased it.

Heh, You live and learn! ;D

Like my friend told me just few days ago: If one disk breaks in a Sun Blade, be sure to order replacements for ALL the disks, because in one month they're all gone bad. (disks come from the same batch and MTBF is about the same)

I think dcr10 deleted his posting for no reason - nobody did step on the others feet, I guess.

Current hosting by Twin-X has been pretty solid, if You're having troubles accessing the forum, it's because recovering the websites hosted by him.

Moebius

Hi Everyone,

I deleted my posting because I thought it was out of context with the other earlier posts and I didnt feel like getting into an argument with anyone about what sort of web host tech/procedures is better than another, or what could be given out to help for free or if anything should be moved. None of that is of interest to me, I just wanted to help the midibox community out by offering a backup in case of failure, not trying to make comment on if anything would fail for whatever reason, or say anything bad about the current service because I dont do that, and every time I come to see the forum its up, fast, and smooth as! I dont think should be moved, or have any opionion on it other than that it is good, and like all good things can be made better, and if that improvement is free then its also a good thing.

PS I dont know what Moebius is suggesting about my deleting of my other posting and saying "nobody did step on the others feet, I guess.", it  didnt say anything bad or anything like "stepping on others feet" either, and if anyone can dig it out to show that please do :}

Do not get me wrong but i liked the idea. And you did not step on anyones feet. I will keep you in mind if i might consider a diffrent kind of backup or something else.

on the other hand.

I cancelled the backup service as i discovered it is backupped on the same server and not on another one.

For me a backup is not needed this way. As it makes no sense.

So i am going to make a cron job that makes backups and those backups will be downloaded until the backup service is going remote. this is going to happen as more customers complained about this.

All the best,

Jeffry

Hi Everyone,

I deleted my posting because I thought it was out of context with the other earlier posts and I didnt feel like getting into an argument with anyone about what sort of web host tech/procedures is better than another, or what could be given out to help for free or if anything should be moved. None of that is of interest to me, I just wanted to help the midibox community out by offering a backup in case of failure, not trying to make comment on if anything would fail for whatever reason, or say anything bad about the current service because I dont do that, and every time I come to see the forum its up, fast, and smooth as! I dont think should be moved, or have any opionion on it other than that it is good, and like all good things can be made better, and if that improvement is free then its also a good thing.

PS I dont know what Moebius is suggesting about my deleting of my other posting and saying "nobody did step on the others feet, I guess.", it  didnt say anything bad or anything like "stepping on others feet" either, and if anyone can dig it out to show that please do :}

No worries Twin-X, im happy to help out if I can. What sort of database are you running the forum from if I may ask? MySQL? There are a lot of great tools that im sure you are aware of for site to site database backups either live or otherwise. Im assuming that having the data is the main thing and that the shell site is not a big deal to put back on top of it? Just thinking ahead for possible strategy for the data's long term existance for everyone.

All the best,

John