Preloaded PICs from SmashTV.....

smashtv

Hi all!

Just a quick note to let everyone know about a change in procedure with my shop, I am now shipping all 18F452 pics with both the Bootloader and MIOS. 

You will still need to upload your chosen app, etc. via MIDI and MIOS Studio.....The immediate advantages of this change are that it allows me to properly test the bootloader/TX+RX pins and a properly wired LCD works immediately....."Ready"  :) 

To attempt to avoid confusion the label on the PIC has changed:

If your label looks like this:

PicLabel2a.jpg

Your PIC was shipped with only the bootloader burned on it.  You will need to upload MIOS and then your chosen app (via MIDI).

And the new label:

PicLabel1a.jpg

Has the bootloader version, MIOS version, and header ID on it.  These need only an app upload via MIDI, MIOS is already there.

Questions/comments? 

Back to the kit mill with me.... ;)

Have fun and Best Regards!

SmashTV

This is a great idea, Smash!

I suggest even putting on a test app that might assist people getting MIDI communication going.... like MIDImon perhaps? That might be a really easy way to prove the PIC is receiving MIDI, with any old MIDI hardware you have... so if you have trouble uploading new apps, you can start the debugging at the PC end instead (i.e. MIOS Studio, MIDI drivers in Java, MIDI interfaces, etc.)

uploading mios is as easy as loading an app....

"Easy as ABC, easy as README.. the 1.9 upgrade was hassle free.." ;D

There aren't such a radical changes coming for a while, but just a little reminder.

As Smash already said, this new procedure will ensure PICs leaving his test/programming rig should be working correctly as some essential functions are already tested.

Moebius

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great idea, Smash!

I suggest even putting on a test app that might assist people getting MIDI communication going.... like MIDImon perhaps? That might be a really easy way to prove the PIC is receiving MIDI, with any old MIDI hardware you have... so if you have trouble uploading new apps, you can start the debugging at the PC end instead (i.e. MIOS Studio, MIDI drivers in Java, MIDI interfaces, etc.)

I agree this is another great idea from SmashTV! It will simplify getting to the point of having a basic functioning MidiBox for beginners. In my experience getting people to that point is the biggest hurdle to overcome with the MidiBox. Once they have a MidiBox that does something, then they start to see how the whole MidiBox concept works and they start becoming self-sufficient.

I think preloading MidiMon might be another step in this direction. I don't know if MidiMon enables MIDI Thru, but I think it should so that it can be installed in-line for its intended purpose. As a start-up aid having MIDI Thru and also putting out some sort of MIDI Time Code so that MIDI In and Out functionality can be confirmed even without an LCD would be a further help to the beginner.

In the same vein, perhaps the CORE Board might eventually be revised to include LEDs to monitor MIDI In and Out. That probably would be useful in all applications of the MidiBox.

Hi guys!

Sorry about the formatting, I'm on the mobile and the lo-fi wap version of the forum is missing a few features like quotes and smilies.... 

First off this is another one of Thorsten's great ideas, it came up in some discussions we had and now its done.  ;)

On the F4620s avail time, very soon.  I have those and the F88s in, new uber-burner built and tested, but  I still need to make up some new chip labels and add everything to the order page.

On the test app pre-loaded idea, how about we make a list of commands to cut & paste into MIOS Studio to exercise and test things in the various apps? 

Just thinking out loud without proper coffee intake.....  ;)

Best

Smash

Whoops I missed Mr modnaR's question.....pre-loaded PICs won't cost more, and I can ship with just bootloader or tested+erased for those with burners.....just let me know what you need.  :)

Unless specified otherwise, these days i'm shipping them with bootloader and MIOS loaded.

Best

Smash

I think it's great

this and the SmashTV Core Card with the Midi Ports is what prompted me to finally order and get started.

... and I have been whatching all this from the very earliest days way back when, I think there was an old, old site.

Some may think that loading things into the PIC is easy ... BUT only if you already know you have a end to end working system.

I have just spent the best part of a week getting The SUN Java runtime and a NON corrupted MIOS Studio.

I also had a Faulty USB Midi port ... straight out of the box.

Unless you have other working parts to check things against and know you have a faulty unit,

it can all be a nigtmare for the first time DIY'er as you just don't know what you are supposed to see or which part is going wrong.

It's all good.

Anything that can help people to get to a complete and working first project is a good thing.

Unless you have other working parts to check things against and know you have a faulty unit,

it can all be a nigtmare for the first time DIY'er as you just don't know what you are supposed to see or which part is going wrong.

That's very true. The ability to substitute suspect componentry with known good replacements is an indispensable tool. This is just another reason why I'm always saying that DIY is rarely the cheaper option....