First audio example from my MIDIBOX project

vedge

Sorry, there are currently no free download slots available on this server.

Please try again later, or you can upgrade to FileFactory Premium for instant access.

Oh time for me to find a better spot to drop it in any suggestions?

You can move this thread in "Desing concepts" , since it was my mistake to begin with.

its really old school, but its also very simple to build. Just a core, an extra proto board and a few cables

did the trick...  just 3 squares(done) and a noise channel(todo)

Sorry, there are currently no free download slots available on this server.

Please try again later, or you can upgrade to FileFactory Premium for instant access.

Oh time for me to find a better spot to drop it in any suggestions?

You can move this thread in "Desing concepts" , since it was my mistake to begin with.

its really old school, but its also very simple to build. Just a core, an extra proto board and a few cables

did the trick...  just 3 squares(done) and a noise channel(todo)

Just attach the file to your post.

I'd say it doesn't really sound like a NES or a VIC chip, the square wave is quite aggressive, so i'd take a guess at it being the Pokey?? If so then i'd like to see more of this project, as it's quite a powerful sounding thing, if maybe a little limited. Add a Moog filter and you could have something magic!

EDIT: I just read your other post regarding the NES motherboard, so I guess I should re-consider!

Also I took the liberty of hosting your example on putfile so it can be heard online without downloading, hope that's cool Vedge.

http://media.putfile.com/GuessTheArpingChip

I'd say it doesn't really sound like a NES or a VIC chip, the square wave is quite aggressive, so i'd take a guess at it being the Pokey?? If so then i'd like to see more of this project, as it's quite a powerful sounding thing, if maybe a little limited. Add a Moog filter and you could have something magic!

Its especially agressive since this example was made when the clock was at 2 Mhz, allowing for lower pitches than the normal

3579545 (NTSC) or 3546893 (PAL) , but its not a Pokey, i have no cash these days for more chips, but i plan to.

(i want MIDI boxes for all classic console's chips)

I guess the attachment is a giver. (slightly out of tune since the PWM runs at 3.33 MHz vs 3.579545 Mhz - original console)

EDIT: I just read your other post regarding the NES motherboard, so I guess I should re-consider!

Also I took the liberty of hosting your example on putfile so it can be heard online without downloading, hope that's cool Vedge.

Thats very cool, you can look at the NES topic again for an inside pic of my rack.

The hardest thing for me was the initial "electronics" learning curve and the PIC/MIDIBox C compiler setup, once i was

able to read and write digital bits, It was a walk in the park.

And im sure its the same with many old chips, if you just want the bare sounds out, (maybe a few arps) and not do something as extensive as the SID and FM midiboxes.

But I do have lots of questions about electronics left. TTL/CMOS logic voltage differences amonsgt other thigns

hacked_emulator.mp3

• 2 months later...

Is it the sound chip from the Sega Master System? Seems to match up with the hints you left here and in some other topics.

This seems to be the chip in question...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_SN76489

I have a SMS sitting around doing nothing so it would be interesting find a use for it.

Its the right chip alright :)

But i dont think the SMS has that chip directly:

See:

http://www.smspower.org/maxim/docs/SN76489.txt

"2. SN76489 sightings

====================

The SN76489AN discrete chip is used in Sega's SG-1000 Mark I and II,

and SC-3000 machines. I do not know if the Mark III has a discrete chip

or not. The Sega Master System and Game Gear have it integrated into

their VDP chips, for backward compatibility to varying extents."

The SMS also has a Yamaha YM2413 which i dont have, and frankly, idd be ok with my MBFM once i get that PSU done.

But the SMS is not the console i had in mind, its the ColecoVision that i wanted to MIDIfy :)

So that "hacked_emulator.mp3" was made using a modified ColEm ColecoVision emulator (http://fms.komkon.org/ColEm/)

which sends MIDI CCs to my MIDIBox'ed SN76489AN  instead of generating the sounds itself. The game is "PepperII"

That site doesnt have the open source version of the SMS emu, so i couldnt test some SMS roms with it :(

Ill continue work on it once my MBFM is done. There is a dude on ebay who sells truckloads of these chipps, but minimum order is 25.

so ive got, lets say around 20 left.

Beaten to the punch here!

The SN76489 is also used in the BBC Micro, so I might just do ROM for one of them and see if 2MHz 6502 is enough to drive it from MIDI. The BBC would make a reasonable control surface - it's got a 4channel 10 bit A-->D in the joystick port, a free VIA in the user port, and well as loads of other goodies. You can easily drive an LCD from the userport.

If anyone in the UK/Europe needs a BBC, I've got a few to spare. Postage any further is horrendous.

Mike