VOTI Encoders Suitable knobs

monokinetic

Hi all,

I am trying to find some cute knobs to finish of my MBSeq, I have used the VOTI encoders. I took one to my local electronics shop and they were surprised to see that the encoder has a flat part to the shaft. Personally I don't think its that uncommon....

after a bit of forum trawling and drooling over various options I think I am going to order the knobs mentioned here:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=6562.msg41366#msg41366

But before I spend the money can anyone confirm that these knobs will fit ok onto the VOTI encoder shaft with a flat edge?

Plus if I remember albs.de has a minimum order, anyone want to do a group buy?

Regards

Dave mK

I bought some of these knobs from ALBS for my MB-SID, and some other ones for the MB-Seq.

304943495_71a0689c91_m.jpg

I can confirm that they do fit perfectly to a plastic 6mm/4.5mm shaft like the encoders from Voti. (My encoders aren't from Voti, but they're from the same manufacturer). Expect long delays between emails from ALBS, but they do eventually deliver. However, they're probably not the best ones for a MB-Seq, a bit too big at the base, it might be better to order some of the narrower ones with the same sized shaft hole (the ones on TK's MB-Seq are also from ALBS, quote from parts list: "12 x "DK13-164 black-soft", 4 x "DK13-164 gray-soft", 1 x "DK38-144" from Albs"). I got the very narrow ones, "albs P/N 860006- -Drehknopf DK10-150 A.6/4,5 AT:13,5mm schwarz" and they also fit nicely to my encoders, as would any of the ALBS knobs with "A.6/4,5" in the description.

Hope that helps you  ;D

• 1 month later...

The know you said you used for the encoders...

I think that's "The knob you said you used for the encoders"  :) I see too many typos every day, because I do tech support, and especially, because I make them allthe tyimew :P

No, they're the same knobs as on his sid, I've seen em in real life, in fact I have a baggy of them here too :) You can find them on the albs page.

The encoders Wilba used were a special order he made... most people get the encoders from smash or voti around here I think. Wilba, being the super slick uber legend that he is, considered that others may like to use his designs, and you will notice that his PCB's allow for either his special encoders or the ones from smashtv (Did I get that right Wilba? or was it the)

The LED's are from eBay, I think you can find them hehehe

Saved you some typing Wilba :)

• 5 months later...
I can confirm that they do fit perfectly to a plastic 6mm/4.5mm shaft like the encoders from Voti. (My encoders aren't from Voti, but they're from the same manufacturer).

From my experience Albs knobs fits nicely only to Alps encoders/pots. I tried it with Voti, Burns, and some noname encoders, both plastic and metal shaft, and they are very hard to take off, especially Waldofr type knob as it is coned and fingers are just slipping. So I found there is NO WAY to take Waldorf knob of Voti`s encoder without sticking some knife underneath it, but it really shouldn`t be an option as you can damage the panel that way.

From my experience Albs knobs fits nicely only to Alps encoders/pots. I tried it with Voti, Burns, and some noname encoders, both plastic and metal shaft, and they are very hard to take off, especially Waldofr type knob as it is coned and fingers are just slipping. So I found there is NO WAY to take Waldorf knob of Voti`s encoder without sticking some knife underneath it, but it really shouldn`t be an option as you can damage the panel that way.

For the MIDI router project, I warmed up a waldorf knob in a hot-water boiler, so that it was elastic enough to stick it over a burns encoder. It can be easily removed without a knife

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I also had a little trouble taking off the "Waldorf" knobs, but I used the end of a plastic cable tie, which didn't scratch the panel or knob. You could lightly sand the encoder shaft if it really concerns you.

For the MIDI router project, I warmed up a waldorf knob in a hot-water boiler, so that it was elastic enough to stick it over a burns encoder. It can be easily removed without a knife

I like your simple way to do it, but I didn`t find putting them on a problem, removing is kind of struggle. It could be tricky to sink mounted knob into the hot water without sinking whole SID  ;D ;D ;D

Now seriously Thorsten, how did you remove it without knife (or ther tool) when knob becomes cold? Or maybe shaft dimension tolerance is so big that there is a difference in my encoders and yours. ???

You could lightly sand the encoder shaft if it really concerns you.

I thought of that, but same time, I would avoid dusting around the encoder. Sure, it can be done if you protect it. I desnt really cncerns me, more annoying. I hate to see standards mismatching! >:(

@stryd

I always remember that removal tool when digging the chips. I used to do it to my PICs so many times in past that some pins are bended few times. Really good tool! Must find to buy it!

Now seriously Thorsten, how did you remove it without knife (or ther tool) when knob becomes cold? Or maybe shaft dimension tolerance is so big that there is a difference in my encoders and yours. ???

... knobs are made of thermoplast. - If you warm them when mounting them, they won't retighten that much when cooled down.

I tried last night keeping knob in hot water from kitchen boiler (pretty hot but not boiling), but seamed not changed much. It comes off more-less same as before. I repeated same 2 times, but really didn`t noticed much change, maybe was no change at all. I think I won`t put knobs on encoders, until I finish everything and be sure they are staying on. :-\