Waves Plugins.. Oppinions ?

Artesia

Hi,

i've been looking at the most recent plugin collections, to 'demo'; in order to track down the highest fidelty ones of the crop...  particularly curious about reverbs and compressors. suggestions here welcome.

I've been toying with the plugin collection by Waves (http://www.waves.com/) ...and fairly impressed so far ..however peoples views on them on the web range from resounding praise ...to absolutely slating them to the worst degree !

Whats the real story folks ? ..could do with some balanced oppinions here :)

(..however we also have the Cambridge Plugins arriving for vst users soon too ...hmm !)

i've been using the waves plugins a bit on some single shot drum sounds i've recorded with a friend.  i can't yet vouch for the compressor and reverbs, but i can say the noise remover works great and the 2 band mono parametric eq works nicely as well.  these plugins have a pretty good reputation but i guess are very expensive.

well at the end of the day... when some money is made from using such softwares.. i will gladly sponsor my given palllete of tools with my wallet & opt for full registration... even if it does set me back afew quid ! (..mind better that, than blowing a whole bunch more money in the short term, finding out which ones you'll actually use in the end).

For now i'm just looking to 'test the water' with the current cream of the crop (I'm very picky about fidelity..).

hi

artesia, i consider Waves plugins among the best around.. i think somebody consider them not really so good because they suck quite much CPU so that it can be reasonable sometime to go for a cheaper less requiring plugin..

and yes no doubt that they are expensive!

simone

well.. by the time the $ factor becomes relavent for me ...itll have dropped to something slightly more sensible than £4k ...especially with the general quality of plugins going up ...prices have been dropping for sometime.

Mind heres a thought, what would an equivalent quality stack of hardware effects and processors cost ? ..thatd really sting ! ..and think of all the space it would take up ! ..cant exactly put it in a rucksack and go walkabout ;) ...if things got to that point, i would rather invest in really high quality software ...than either mediocre processing ..or huge space invading (scalability limited) hardware.

hi,

I think that for such a price as the waves plug cost, you can get all what you need in really good hardware, eg, take a Lexicon PCM91 for time effect (sounding  faraway better than the reverb  of waves) and some neve comp or chanel strip, but you won't get the possibility to use many instance at the same time, here is the choice. For all dynamics effects, now a lot of software do this job as well as hardware, even if they are cheap.

I worked with Waves TDM Diamond daily for about 2 years for layout jobs (like commercial spots, short audio commedies) and I was quite happy with it.

I once mixed a music album and ended up by using only the EQ (I think t was called "Rennaissance EQ"), the rest I was doing with outboard gear (good old Lex 480 and Ureis).

I couldn't get happy with the Reverb plugs for music mixes but I liked them pretty much for sounddesign tasks.

Greets, Roger

big mouth studio owners of my country writing that waves has definately more graphical& marketing co-workers than actual engineers, this says all IMHO (and this is for TDM ver.) too . For compressor they had not much against Sonalksis comp (this company is run by ex-Neve engineers who wrote programs for dsp platform). Reverb: I find myself returning to Quantec IR-s, I definately rate these over the 480-s, at least inside my weakling set up these sit better :)

Reverb: I find myself returning to Quantec IR-s, I definately rate these over the 480-s, at least inside my weakling set up these sit better :)

... Quantec, Lexicon, TC and what ever. - It's a matter of taste and the result you're looking for. I believe, there is a certain threshold of quality which is almost not measurable, which makes an effect good sounding or not so good. - Trust you ears!

I don't know anything about Quantec IR, I only worked with the Quantec QRS/XL and this is a beautiful sounding reverb which I used a lot (... until it broke and the repair costs would have been a third of the list price  :-\). Even if I liked the sound a lot, I couldn't use it for cerain applications because it was too noisy.

In short: It's not just the theoretical quality that matters... it has to fit your result you're looking for.

big mouth studio owners of my country writing that waves has definately more graphical& marketing co-workers than actual engineers, this says all IMHO (and this is for TDM ver.) too .

... shure! Why not? In todays studio business, time is a big factor in being able to do the job in the desired budget of the customers and that for I need a nice and intuitive GUI. Did you really think that if they bring out a new plug, they're always rewriting their algorythms? Did you think that the algorythms of a Lexicon 960 are much different than the ones from a 480? They just implement the requirements for the enhanced bit- and sampling freq-rates, make use of the higher memory possibilities of their new DSPs and add some more controllable parameters.

For compressor they had not much against Sonalksis comp (this company is run by ex-Neve engineers who wrote programs for dsp platform).

Neve? ... and??? What makes you so shure, that the engineers of Neve transformed their nice analog sound so perfect to digital algorythms? I don't know, I never had a chance to work with any digital Neve gear yet.

Greets, Roger

Quantec IR - I tought of Impulse Response, the convolution thing. For sure it is noisy tho it is bandpass noise cause 18khz processing = 9k thruput :)) Bout sonalksis blokes: "The audio signal processing technology developed by Sonalksis is the result of extensive research by ourselves, in collaberation with academics and music industy professionals. Indeed many of our algorithms would not have been possible even 5 years ago, as they build upon research at the very forefront of digital signal processing theory." And Neve (..group of companies) made the first commercial digital console,tho not sold well, but the result , the smaller DTC has its effect on CD production, so rather let's say that, there is quite a lot percentage to it that youve heard it already! The head of Weiss engineering (top end equiptment) said, that the thing got him into engineering was in fact the DTC (one of the few "serious" devices what did the justice). And here is this decade between bitslice processing and ADSP Sharc too.

the smaller DTC has its effect on CD production, so rather let's say that, there is quite a lot percentage to it that youve heard it already!

... well, just because I heard nice sounding records where something was used for next to all other kind of equipment, doesn't make me say: "Hey, it's good"  ???

the smaller DTC has its effect on CD production

... do you mean the "DMX15"?

The head of Weiss engineering (top end equiptment) said, that the thing got him into engineering was in fact the DTC (the only quality alternative there was.. ).

... Daniel Weiss started his engineering career at STUDER (right after his engineering degree) working on DASH machines.

... so far the comments. - But I still don't understand, what you wanna tell us with this...?

Greets, Roger

What I want to say , is that I did my homework on this topic. 

Yeah, DASH machines, same gang as Neve DSP / DTC ...

http://tinyurl.com/22xcfp

http://tinyurl.com/yr783a

ok perhaps my word of use wasnt the best. So the Q was:

"I see that you were formerly employed at Studer/Revox. What inspired you to start Weiss engineering?" the rest at:    http://tinyurl.com/28qmxu

facts: is mentioned on the above pages but DSP-2 led to DSP-3 also known as the Libra. And I know from AES papers that later DTC are downsized DSP-2, google after Neve DTC to read some industry talk.

-The point I want to make is that there is no other audio company like Neve, simply b/c their unlimited funds.