Favourite non-midibox synthesizer

Davo

I dont have non-midibox synths except half broken juno 60, and never tested much of others, but one of my favorites is Radikal Technologies - Spectralis. What is interesting about this fabulous grovebox is that it has Albs knobs on it, like alot of our MB synths.  ;) I doubt I would ever be able to afford it, as it is  dirty expensive.

Alesis Andromeda is also on my wish list. Ahhh  :-\

I own a Korg Triton Pro which is a nice preset box with keys.

:o Are you for real? ;D I guess by today's standards they are slipping a bit but that's still a good synth, and definitely not a preset box! Maybe you oughtta get the sampling option and/or figure it out, you're missing out man!

:o Are you for real? ;D I guess by today's standards they are slipping a bit but that's still a good synth, and definitely not a preset box! Maybe you oughtta get the sampling option and/or figure it out, you're missing out man!

It's the classic version, which already has sampling option integrated, it has 64MB now. Problem is that it only has a floppy drive, no sample loading from CD unless I finf a cheap SCSI expansion somewhere, don't want to invest much more in it anymore, midibox is my thing now. I also have the MOSS board for the triton. In theory it should be a nice synth, but the complexity is killing me. When I have the time I will probably investigate the possibilities a bit further, but I like diy-ing stuff very much more.

omg that's just not right man! I bet there are 100 people on these forums that would happily fight for that thing ;) You have been very naughty, now go to your room and read the manual and think about what you have done. Bad NLX! Bad! ;D

In all seriousness though, it is a powerful workstation with those options and would make a good companion to the SID in the mix I suspect, a little digi here, a dash of analog there, et voila!

PS just so I'm not hijacking: uhm.... Nord Modular G2

No laughing at at the SH-201, that's a tasty VA keyboard, especially if you edit via a PC. I think if it was a little cheaper, you'd see a lot more of them. Not to mention the fact that I have a fetish for Roland stuff ;)

My personal fave is the Roland GR-20 because i'm a spaz with keyboards ;) But I also have a JX-3p which is my favourite real synth.

my first and only hardware synth is a roland v-synth xt.  i've really only just started digging into it because i've been working on my seq and other projects, but i like it a lot.  i also really like reaktor.  i'm curious about building an avr-x synthesizer.

:o You own a Kyma???

Once I get these midibox pcbs done that's next.. Only been saving up for like 5 or 6 years :'( But at those prices it has to be last on the list huh.

Korg Wavestation A/D. Forever.

I do however have one of them and it's sweet as.

my first and only hardware synth is a roland v-synth xt.  i've really only just started digging into it because i've been working on my seq and other projects, but i like it a lot.  i also really like reaktor.  i'm curious about building an avr-x synthesizer.

While I was googling for images of this synthesizer I found this great rack mount solution. So simple, and very useful it the synth is bit low in s rack. Maybe it is nothing new but to me it is.

roland3rackslider.l.jpg

Let´s found a Wavestation fan club ;) I´ve also got an A/D, great machine!

My other favourite is the Ensoniq ESQ1. Extremely underrated synth, just because the presets are total crap. They tried to put good acoustic emulations in it, which horribly failed with the few 8 bit samples ;) But when you use it to do synthetic stuff, it´s really fat and mighty. (Got to get another one as my old one became completely braindead :( )

On the wish list:

Waldorf Microwave I - great machine and not too expensive anymore.

And, most important: DSI Evolver. Last year I was at the Frankfurt Musikmesse, and I just couldn´t leave from the Dave Smith booth. This thing is so fascinating! I would love to get a Poly Evolver Keyboard, just can´t see I´d be able to afford one in the next few years :/ But one day it´ll be mine...

S

I would love to get a Poly Evolver Keyboard, just can´t see I´d be able to afford one in the next few years :/

You could go for a Poly Evolver as a rack version and do the control surface yourself - you're a member of the MIDIbox community...  ;D

Best regards, ilmenator

That would be possible - but the PEK is sooo nice. solid build quality, great design and layout. If I wanted to build an equally pro controller for the rack, it´d take at least 500 Euros, and then the price difference is not so huge anymore. And I just want it, especially for the illuminated Plexi mod wheel ;D

hello

for me it's the yamaha cs 80 but hard to tune and use, siel dk 80,and for samplers it's ensoniq eps 12 for old school sound and roland s 760 for a super-clean-punchy sound and best filters i have heard .yamaha a 3000 exellent for dirty electronic music

i don't like the sampling fonction of triton .

the sid by TK will certainly be present in future hits !

Ensoniq ESQ1. Extremely underrated synth / use it to do synthetic stuff, it´s really fat and mighty.

Ayup, I'll second that.  And it's the godson of our favourite SID.  6 voices x 3 digital OSCs, analog CEM VCFs, loads of modulation.

wish list:

Well if we're going to start one of them:

Machinedrum, Evolver, SH-202, TR-626 (for bending), Cheetah/Matrix, Yamaha TG-33 (Dave Smith design), Ibanez UE405 and a Simmons SPM 8:2  ;)

Hey Doc, forget the 626, get a 505. They're much cheaper, and you can add one of my custom pitch bend PCB's. They connect to a bend console, so you can tune each group of sounds up and down when connected, and when the bend console is removed, the pitch will be standard. Very cool, and very useful, especially when bending the hell out of it!

I do second your Matrix/Cheetah call though, I want one of those too ;)