More illuminated buttons

Sasha

This is 3 part custom button I make for customer who liked my sequencer buttons very much and wanted something similar for his project. Top part is 6mm opal acrylic which has just great diffusion/transparency ratio. Second layer is 4mm transparent acrylic spacer with big hole which help to get wider area illumination. Third layer is 4mm LED holder, and doesn`t have to be transparent. I glued 3 pieces together using superglue.

989674390_0eb8c9d0ea.jpg

989674468_3f99191593.jpg

989674524_828e89254c.jpg

Attached ZIP contains EPS file if somebody have access to laser cutter

button_thumb.gif

button.zip

1457_button_gif0e50ab80bb531011373a309d7

button.zip

DAMN!!!.................... I am so far of doing some professional looking stuff :P :P :P :P...........cnc machines........a cool place to work where nobody asks you to put the tools back in place.............with no time schedules.......

Anyway, Sasha those button caps look very very very cool, I have to envy your tecnique and skills at work..........perhaps you could make a few photo tutorials of things like this to learn for the rest of the midiboxers. ;) ;)

Greetings from Argentina.                                                              Milton

Snorkman, I would so love to work in place you described, but I`m working one of the worst jobs in IT.. technical support.

To realize my designs I use different services. CNC, laser, waterjet... Most often lasers, as they are most economical and result is very good if you work with acrylic/ thin woods and such. Engraving is done on same machine without taking out the panel.

About picture tutorial, I`ve already did some. Check these pages:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=8417.msg58748;topicseen#msg58748

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=4322.15

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=8933.165

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=8450.30

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=8450.0

I hope you`ll find it useful

• 2 months later...

Sasha for your sequencer are you using encoders similar in height to smashtv's encoders? Are you mounting these buttons to the same breadboard as the encoders? I am wondering about the 6mm,4mm and 4mm pieces and if that combination is perfect for height from pcb to panel. On your sequencer how much of the buttons is sticking out above the front panel in mm height? ____---___

Sasha for your sequencer are you using encoders similar in height to smashtv's encoders? Are you mounting these buttons to the same breadboard as the encoders?

I made one PCB for both, buttons and encoder, but than I realized the hight cannot be same because I add another piece of acrilic in the button sandwitch to increase the distance of LED to improve light diffusion. I ended cutting the board and leaving just a piece that holds the encoders. I didnt uses smash kind encoders. Mine are albs for PCB type with no thread and bolt. And,they are very good! Can be dense packed which was important to me as my vertical lines match to the the corresponding section of LCD screen.  ;)

On your sequencer how much of the buttons is sticking out above the front panel in mm height?

They dont stick out at all, they are still in the box. ;D

What happened... well, In the time I have finished nice watercut steel panel, 2 subpanels, buttons, and it was all mounted except wiring, SEQ V3 appeared and I really wanted those changes on my sequencer so I just cannot decide what to do with it all. So I put all asside. Maybe  I will finish it some day, or maybe it is better to offer it to somebody here on the forum who will finish it. I feel kinda bad because of that because it could look good and it is pretty well made. I put hours, and hours only in those buttons, but I really like my new design.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I think this is the first time ever I prefer the bluish light

Maan, if you know me just a little bit better you would now how much I hate blue light!!! The "blue" button you see is actually white, and looks much better in real. It was even more blue until I photoshopped it.

Why to mask blue light... just don`t use blue LEDs if you don`t like it.

Hi Sasha. No, I actually do like the blues, but I've seen several complaints here from people saying they were too prominent. I haven't put any on anything here either, but I've always wanted to. Seems like a really soft blue might solve the problem if you could use really hazy plastic or distance the LEDs like you were talking about.

Wonderful looking buttons BTW and great choice of font (what is it anyway?).

George 

Jidis, I don`t hate all blue light. The one I`ve seen on VFDs seams to me much less aggressive, but I haven`t seen LEDs with that shade.

@cimo

The floor is actually laminate - rustic oak. It looks pretty realistic. I love it.  :)

I might be organizing some batch.

Your projects are an inspiration to me! I really like the way you do your LED rings as well (but thats another story).

If you do end up getting a batch going I'd be in. I'm planning on attempting to make some of my own buttons like yours for an upcomming LC not to mention a few other projects and have sourced out everything I need .. but I'd still like some of yours :)   if only to compare which I manage to create. 

I'm assuming that the button holder was also made / designed by you.   Any chance of an esp/cad file of that? Is the blue a plastic or are you still using acrylic for it?

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Your projects are an inspiration to me! I really like the way you do your LED rings as well (but thats another story).

Thank you mirv for your nice words.

I'm assuming that the button holder was also made / designed by you.

Yes, my design.

Any chance of an esp/cad file of that? Is the blue a plastic or are you still using acrylic for it?

Sorry but I`m not willing to release the files for these buttons as I wanna produce some for selling. I`m preparing 2 sets of buttons - for LC and SEQ.