Old mixer into MIDI controller?

fairchild

Hello,

I have this old numark mixer:

numarkau7.jpg

I dont use it anymore, and after failing to sell it on ebay for $10. I thought of maybe using it to create a MIDI controller!

Would I be able to salvage any parts from it? such as the knobs, faders and switches and turn this into a midi controller?

My goal is to create a mixing board that I could use with Traktor DJ and also maybe be use the pots to control synthesizers inside Ableton Live/Cubase during music production.

I havent researched creating MIDI controllers too much yet, but I have seen pictures of what others have built, and that gave me this idea.

From what I understand I should be able to use the various components (faders, knobs), but i would need to rewire everything into a configuration which would be possible to send out as a MIDI signal to my PC?

I guess im just trying to salvage as much as possible instead of going out and buying everything, I think it would be a good first time project since I believe it'll cost a lot less than having to buy all these components new? or am I wrong and these wont send the correct signals required for midi?

Good idea or should I start from scratch? Thanks in advance!

hi and welcome aboard

Would I be able to salvage any parts from it? such as the knobs, faders and switches and turn this into a midi controller?

yes

From what I understand I should be able to use the various components (faders, knobs), but i would need to rewire everything into a configuration which would be possible to send out as a MIDI signal to my PC?

yes

I think it would be a good first time project since I believe it'll cost a lot less than having to buy all these components new?

true

or am I wrong and these wont send the correct signals required for midi?

well you need 10K linear pots and faders but you can get cheap ones if you ll need to change them so no worries

Good idea or should I start from scratch?

it s a good idea, casing and knobs are quite expensive and difficult to find

so there you go, read read read, check the wiki as well, lots of infos there, good luck and keep us uptodate with further development

simone

BTW: Does anyone have any links to someone who has done something similar with an old mixer?

sorry for the too quick reply but ain t no time here  :P

anyway do a search for Denon- traktor etc i remember this guy doing such a nice job ripping apart an old 2 decks denon dj cd player, pulling the parts, making new pcbs and reassembling everything together.. was that MTE ?

simone

I decided to jump right in before doing any further research  ;D

numarknh9.jpg

Then I went online and started to read, and realized how much work itll be, and how much itll actually cost.

So instead I think Ill invest my money into a Behringer BCR-2000 ($80 or so on ebay):

BCR2000_big.jpg

Which will work great with my current Behringer BCF-2000:

BCF2000.jpg

With those two together ill be able to accomplish all of what I wanted to do with the custom one I was thinking of making. But Im not going to totally give up, because I think making custom things is fun. So when I have the money ill continue with it, and bring this topic back to life when I do.