Video mixer

lightforms

Hi

I am new to all this hence my first post, I have been looking through the website and forum for the last month and am well impressed with what you have all built.

I am looking to build a control surface for computer based video mixing. I have been mixing video since it was a tape based thing with a couple of vcr's and an mx-12 mixer. The computer programs that are out there now are fantastic with resolume been my pick of them. But these programs all suffer from the same thing; it is very hard to get a real feel for mixing live by hitting keys on a computer keyboard you need faders and knobs to twiddle!! There are currently a couple of commercial units available but there seems to be supply issues with one and the other I don't like its layout.

I am trying to work out which box is best to build MB64 or MB64e, given that I have a limited knowledge of electronics. Is the implementation for faders in the MB64e hard, as I can see clear advantages to using rotary encoders over pots, but I defiantly can’t live without faders!

Has anyone built a resolume control surface yet and if so are there any issues??

I will be working on the layout over the next few weeks and will post a layout design for comment as I know video mixing but not midi if that makes sense.

Any comments appreciated thanks

hello

1. what you expect from new one layout?

2. Are you plan use also additional LCD on layout or just take it simple?

If you need only some faders. knobs and other please keep in mind that DIY is not cheap! Its maximally customizable, but not fast, cheap and easy.

DIY-ing will eat your time, power, money. Please consider this before you will build something.

Of course it is sense for build that one like you said, but if you find for this new unit somting special, that isnot possible (or very hard) to do with regular commercial controller (for example  using motorfaders, memory of values and names of parameters in PIC, etc...), but programming this, checking, testing

it all will take a few months.

I suggest you try commercial cheap controller (2 octaves, 8 faders, 8 knobs etc...) for check your feeling with Video/MIDI fun.

Hi QBAS

1 To answer your questions I want something that closely represents the lay out in resolume have a look at the interface. http://resolume.com/gfx/resolume_screenshot.jpg

2. I dont plan on having an lcd on the layout I want to keep it simple.

Been able to remember memory values for effects is important when switching between decks.I am aware that diy-ing is neither cheap nor quick having built my own super 8 film to video transfer system in the past and I am not in a rush.

I think I will do what you suggested though, and see if I can pick up a second hand controller to play with it may help me understand midi a bit better.

thanks for your thoughts 

Another thing that you want to find out is how much MIDI the program responds to.

Are the funtions you plan to use accessible via MIDI?

Is there a MIDI learn type function?

Is the program compatible with an existing interface, such as Mackie Control Universal (ie Logic Control)?

Is there a comprehensive midi routing capability?

Hi

one of the reasons that I want to work with resolume over other video applications is its excellent or so I am lead to believe midi implementation. When I look through the preferences just about every parameter that is available can be assigned to midi.

If anyone is interested you can download a full working trial version of resolume from there website the guys are very generous and the only difference in functionality is a watermark on the output.

http://resolume.com/features/index.php

thanks

resolume midi genral_thumb.jpg

resolume midi mapping_thumb.jpg

1600_resolume_midi_genral_jpg76ddfff8ba1

1602_resolume_midi_mapping_jpgaa9159b411

hi lightforms...

first : whats your vj name... maybe we know us from somewhere :P

i had the same idea like you about a half year before.

first point - keep your ideas in mind - and start building your controller when resolume 3.0 arrives.

why? resolume sends no midi version 2 only recieves midi. you cannot build cool features like led status bars etc.

i had a concept for a really cool controller with all that funny shit. but its simply not possible with resolume for now. you "can" realize it with the software but if you change somehing with the mouse it will not react on the controller... i don't know how i should describe it here. i did my best.

i finished my controller now - its really simple just 12 encs and 4 buttons - but when the new software version will be out - i will build a new one!

but... did you check out the react controller? it's from austrian guys - i know them and tryed the controller. and i think it's the best one for resolume for now. www.netzteil.org

have fun, leonard aka. bildwerk

Hi Leonard

The last time I was gigging regularly was a few years ago and i was part of a group in New Zealand called Axis Visuals, since then I have been concentrating on other stuff more instillation based so there has been no need for live mixing.

The latest project im working on is going to include a large element of live performance and I much prefer knobs and buttons to work with in that situation.

Im not sure if resolume not sending midi is to important for what i want to do, I might look at the idea of setting  up the base layout with the option for adding more leds at a later stage once midi send becomes available in resolume.

I have looked at other controllers available and while i like them I think there is room for improvement for my workflow.

I will be using lightforms as a performance name as it covers my interests pretty nicely light and form and its nice and short??

cheers dave

hey lightforms

ive also had the idea of making a resolume controller but not got around to it yet lots of other things taking my time

it seems even more interesting for visual work to make a mixer of your own layout because of different ways of working

so id be interested in any potential layouts you come up with for resolume

regards kris

ps i keep looking for an interesting 3d program as resolume is good but a little flat

Hi guys

The real power in vvvv is it flexibility that you can build applications for specific tasks and the fact its real time or at least that's my take on it. Some would argue that it is its 3d applications or its  live input analysis are, or whatever particular strength you want it for your imagination seems to be the limit.

Resolume on the other hand is more or a player rather than a generator but it is very good at what it does again this is just my take on it and some are bound to disagree! :)

cheers d

• 1 month later...

heya leonard

im curently working on OHM http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_ohm.php clone controller that controll LividInst Union software http://www.lividinstruments.com/software_union_features.php

ohmclone.jpg

its still not finished but u can get the idea....

few custom changes

instead of faders im using encoders to ease the work and cut on unnesesary expences

FX channels have been cut to total 4 layers (but leaving an option to expand it to 8 as on original ohm)

all componetns was integrated on 1 pcb too keep the box clean of tons of wires (only connections will be to core module)

size of box will be aprox 30x15 cm