OS Preference

smashtv

I to use XP home. If The OS is tweaked correctly (I recomend Tweak XP pro) and updated It will run like a dream. My XP system is far more stable that the 3 brand new G4's running OS X and Protools 6 at my work. There are still some issues that need correcting with in OS X to improve the stablity.

Hey here is another off topic idea : Windows tweaks.

Until next time

Rowan.

There are still some issues that need correcting with in OS X to improve the stablity.

Amen brother!

:)

Apple will eventually get it there, hopefully before OS XI.......

I dual boot on the laptop, but I still spend all my work time in OS9.  Luckily MAX/MSP is fine with OSX and OS9, When I build the MIOS tools for Mac they will be for both.  How quickly that happens will depend on the number of Mac users that speak up here.  8)

Later!

Smash

i use linux for 5-6 years,

for music it's not actually excellent but good

now i sequence midi with rosegarden or Muse or jazz (more stable but old)

there is a good ASIO clone : JACKIT at sf.net

a good Recorder : Ardour it becaune in few weeks in 1.0

and there is more soft synth but no sampler

for more info see www.linuxsound.at

the big problem is that there is more and more config file to modify and libraries to install, it's just the problem

TUx en chocolat

for info i use a Redhat 9.0 with official kernel 2.4.20 low latency + preemp + patch for Ext3

an atlon 1700+ (no overclocker) + 512 Mo of Ram ddr 2100 and an audiophile 24/96

all work fine with very few latency on linux and no latency on windows

does anyone use an amiga as me when i was young  ;D ;D

I use XP pro and win98se for audio..

The win98se stays just for the APSlive drivers for the live5.1!

And of course because I can't think of my PC not being able to boot from DOS and play favorite old games like sensible soccer etc!

I also have a partition with mandrake 9 but not using it for audio...

Used to have dual boot up system with 2x Win98SE. One was installed using 98LITE Pro for audio use. The other one was the chubby, normal full installation for internet, school and stuff like that.

After that a dual boot up system with the '98lited' Win98SE for audio and WinXP Pro for internet etc.

After that 2 pc's. One running the 98lited Win98SE and a dualhead graphics card for audio stuff, the other runnig WinXP Pro for the rest. The 'audio' pc died a few weeks ago unfortunatly!!

Now i only use WinXP Pro for internet etc. I don't use computers for making music no more until i finished the midi controller projects. I hate computers for making music, damn that mouse. Only benefits are a big interface and bizar editing capabilities. I like dedicated harware more now instead of all that software junk. And i can't afford an RME Hammerfall or equivalent, so there's no reason to keep on using a pc for making music.

I also got a cheap and slow P1 133 laptop which i'm maybe going to use to sequence with Cubase 2 or 3 (one without all that VST crap). But it's old and i have to make some modifications to the thing to make it Midi compatible. I need something like an serial to ide device, because it doesn't have a cdrom player. It's to much trouble to install something on it. Anyone got some solutions for a familiar problem?

Guest the_Swede

I use a nifty key that switches the master/slave relationship between two hard drives, thus enabling me to have one boot for normal applications (the one I am running now) and one clean for the audio. Works like a charm and is a cleaner solution than dualbooting from the same hard drive since the systems are completely separated for each other - in essence they are two different computers (except you can only use one at a time). Both systems use WinXP which is the best OS MS has created so far - for whatever that's worth... :(

Guest the_Swede

Bought it from my local computer dealer (in Sweden). Called "NickLock" as I recall, costs about $5 and installs into a floppy sized slot in your computer front.

Another nice thing I did that I recommend is punching a small hole through the wall to a closet (or whatever) in an adjacent room and running the cables to the screens/keyboard through that hole. Guaranteed silence as long as your computer is reasonably quiet to start with. It does require that you find a way to move the air from the closet in summertime lest temperatures grow too high. Opening the closet suffices in this arctic country! However, water cooling would be even better.

got a similar system like the_swede: two times windows xp on two different bootable hard-drives (one reserved only for audio).

i've got a software-switch which i can recommend: Boot It NG. it switches the ide-type of your harddisk so that you can boot even from ide 1 not only from ide 0. and you don't have to use a hardware-switch.

both of the xp-partitions are tweaked by using different tweak-sites for audio-purposes.

icam

yeah, partitionmagic is prog that pretty good for that as it includes bootmagic - it's very easy to use, just make both o/s partitions primary and set one active and one hidded so for instance  in both boots (ie, office and daw) the o/s drive will be C: and u wont see the other boot partiton. I also made the pagefile (for both boots) on it's own (FAT16) paritition on a sep HD to the O/S...bootstar pro is another app that does a bit more, but is also a bit deeper ;p

Cheers...

Dan

Dan

My main computer is an older sawtooth G4 running OS 9 and OS X -- my main music app is Logic, and I'm learning to enjoy it under OS X, and find it remarkably stable.

My other computer is an iBook 500 which primarily stays in OS X.

I do use VPC for some things, and find that my good ol' version 4 runs Win 98SE quite acceptably under OS 9 on my G4.

Guest Xcen

Oooh I just learned something!

my gf is moving with me in july and she has an ILamp (the new Imac pod thing) and my friend told me I could run Logic on this...yay!

I think I have to buy a midi adapter though... which should I get?

I heard Imac's suck for making music.

But i've only heard and read about it, never actually tried it myself.

I've seen test though, which prove that the powerbooks, especially the Titanium powerbooks, are one of the best Mac's for making music. Or Sony VIAO's for pentium based systems.