rack/desktop seq case

ultra

i decided to make a case for my seq that will allow both rack and desktop use.  i know there's been other people interested in doing this so i'll post my developments here.

i based my design off the 4U v-synth xt case.

v-synthxt.jpg

i simply measured it and scaled it down to a 3U design for the seq.  here is a side shot.

rdcase.gif

the plugs on the back of the case will stick straight out when on a desktop and angle upward when in a rack.  the jacks will be placed closer to the bottom so they don't interfere with anything above it in the rack.

the front and back panels will be made by fpe, and the remaining three panels will be single pieces cut on a laser.  the side pieces will each have a lip bent inward with self-clinching nuts such as these.

s.gif

i'm considering making some kind of bent rail pieces that will install over the seams of the panels, but that will depend on the cost of these self-clinching nuts and the finish of the laser machine.  they'd be more of a nice touch for looks so i'm not going to do it if the finish isn't nice.

lately, i'll mount some rubber feet to the bottom for desktop use.

any tips, comments, or suggestions are appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

well, here's the design so far.

front panel:

seqv3fpd.gif

back panel (tentative design):

seqbackpanel.gif

the front and back panels will be made by front panel express.  the other pieces will be cut and bent by my girlfriend at the metals lab at school.

each custom panel has a 1/2" flange that will be bent inward for attachment pieces.  the small angles you see at the corners in the side image are actually the borders.  the pieces sticking out are the flanges to be bent.

side piece:

side.gif

top piece:

top.gif

bottom piece:

bottom.gif

bottom.gif

Looks nice so far, but I'm not quite sure how you're planning to put the hole thing together yet. From my experience as a "metal bender" for a certain german sports-car-manufacturer something's telling me you'll get in trouble bending 3 sides of a sheet of metal into the same direction 90°. Besides, the edge on backside will be "open", as you only have flanges for the front top and bottom sides.

What material are you planning to use? If you're using Aluminum, keep in mind that is has a "grain":

BrushedAluminum.jpg

Bending it parallel to the grain usually tears it even if you heat it up before bending, so you might want to cut the pieces accordingly.

Bending it parallel to the grain usually tears it even if you heat it up before bending, so you might want to cut the pieces accordingly.

Hm, that is good to know. Din`t know brushing grain could lead to tearing. But i think it matters pretty much of the softness and thicknes of aluminum. Right? Thanks for the tip.

I don't have any experience with thicknesses above 3.5mm or below 1.0mm. But within that range bending it parallel to the grain more than 45° degrees usually leads to complications. It's not a porblem of the aluminum being brushed though - the grain comes from the rolling (is this the correct english term?) of the material.

the side piece has flanges on all five sides.  apparently it's possible because my par-metal cases have 90 degree bends on four sides.  the rest of the pieces "wrap" around those flanges, and attach to them.  the top and bottom piece also have a flange (i didn't put in the 45 degree angle needed to clear the other flanges yet) and those will go to the back.  the rear panel will attach to those flanges.  the front panel will attach to flanges of the side piece.

it's gonna be steel.

• 2 months later...