Ideas for a dedicated Linux Digital Audio Workstation for midiboxes

tuxilinx

Hi everyone :)

I have thought about in a longer time now; what about creating a midibox DAW for live controlling of eg the midibox SID patterns, automatic detection of SID model and so on (remember that this DAW is not meant for the SID only, but will be more abstract so it can be implemented with virtually any of the midibox projects).

Now you may wonder why i would create a DAW as theres many of them, based on other platforms, and especially why Linux?

Well, Linux is free, and quite flexible and has low hardware requirements (but the audio side will not suffer for that).

By using the linux-rt (real time) kernel it would be possible to gain very low latencies. and using a window manager like XFCE (X Face) it would also be lightweight too.

Now you're probably thinking about the software?  what come to my thoughts was a powerful but yet simplified studio-like interface where you can edit the more advanced features of the midiboxes (the SID comes to mind) where you would be able to in real time edit the patches and patterns for every voice of the SIDs, do a quick assign of physical hardware to one of the LFOs for the SIDs.

this is just some of my plain ideas and thoughts... feedback would be greatly be appreciated :)

more ideas and sample images of the interface to come really soon.

best regards

tuxilinx :)

Take a look at Pure:Dyne, a Linux distro aimed at Music/Multimedia people. They do a bootable CD that you can use for a tryout.

https://devel.goto10.org/puredyne

I has Soft synths, the successor to Max, A drum machine and quite a lot more. I was able to boot the CD and take it on line quite easily. It will store you data on a spare hard disc partition, or a USB stick, so you can boot up a PC as a DAW, then reboot into whatever you use normally. Obviously, you can do a proper install if you really like it.

Hope this helps

hardware wise it would be great if we could forget about midi port. I dream about an asynchronous (subset of isosynchronous) protocol where you have FIFO on the outside, and clocking is generated outside as well. This would result in very high quality CV outputs for, say ADSR envelope.

smithy, can you try this VST if it runs ?

http://refinedaudiometrics.com/products-plpareq.shtml

please :)

Lol! I should of said im no expert, i havent linux installed!

A friend just recommended it to me.

Im too lazy to install linux really, more effort than its worth when windows does what i want (50% of the time  :P )!

prof you got me thinking about booting up your pc as a daw. Can a windows pc do this? I wanna be able to boot my sequencer up only but I am pretty sure it needs some kind of win98 or higher.

This picture shows a quick bootup of the Pure:Dyne CD on my old basic windows machine. I just put the CD in the drive and rebooted. I didn't bother to resize the desktop - it's a bit high res' here. It's got 'Jack' running, Hydrogen, (the drum machine), running a cowbell loop (!), a softsynth, and the nano editor running. This is an old P3/1000 with 512Meg of RAM, I took the photo, then removed the disk to reboot into Windows 2000.

For working, you can arrange to save your data and settings to  a USB stick, (a process called 'Nesting').

It won't run on some of the wierder graphics cards - my engineering box has an old 3D labs 'Wildcat', which locks up. It will boot and run, though not that fast, on my ancient Compaq Armada 733MHz laptop.

Hope this helps.

PureDyne_thumb.jpg

2037_PureDyne_jpg47f2564350306fae90164e2

@Playbo$$: thats exactly what i have thought about too with the step sequencer :D - btw feel free to add more of your ideas here :)

i know about the other multimedia oriented linux distributions, but i wanted tive something back to the midibox community and create something special for the midibox projects :)

Does anybody use MTV Music generator or Music 2000? Can anyone please tell me if they will work on linux. I know these programs are getto but they rock! The only problem is that other windows sys apps in the backround might be affecting their performance.

try do a search on the appdb page at winehq (http://appdb.winehq.org)

greets tuxilinx :)

• 3 weeks later...