another MB SID.. [Finished!!!] ' Greenie' updated pictures.

TD

http://picasaweb.google.com/td0001/TDSGreenMeanieMIDIboxSID8550

ok, im beginning  a mb SID 8580r5.. i will document this attempt as follows,

and i will try not to be too much of a n00b..

as this is my first MIDIbox project, im going to start out with a minimal SID, mono with a step A controller.

maybe add another SID later for stereo. (i intend to use it primarily with Ableton and another controller, so the minimal surface should do me just fine.)

i would also like to try the feedback mod, as well as an audio input to utilize the filter..

(i know it's no moog filter, still could have fun sonic decimating potential.. idk. waste of time?)

i do not have a C64 psu, so im going to have to make other arrangements. (plus i think it's kind of big and ugly) also, is it possible to power a box this size with batteries??? is this impractical?

i plan to ultimately install all this kit into a tidy little box of some sort, hopefully not looking too ghetto!!!

im trying to keep a low budget for this project, and and have fun building a cool, highly featured, little synth.

not mention i dig the sound of the SID, esp. the bassline engine. i really like open source projects, being an IT pro / UNIX geek etc. i was very excited to discover MBHP!

my costs including shipping, so far: $117

£20 ($40) for the 8580r5 nos on ebay and about $65 for parts from Smash TV.. (cheers mate!)

core kit w/ PiC programmed, SID module, din module, encoder w/ switch, chip for mem stick..hope thats everything i need. 2x20 LCD, $12 on ebay.. still waiting for this item, from hong kong..

still need to score tact switches, some of that ribbon cable, connectors, some thin solder, and a more pointy solder tip. oh yeah, and a meter.

this project is getting quite the carbon footprint so far.. (lol) re. china, hong kong, bristol, etc..

i am going to try to get the remainder of these items at my local Radio Shack..  2 blocks walk from my house.. we'll see how that goes.

i have read through all the relevant pages on ucapps.de ..  i think carefully.

and, I've posted to a public forum.. so now im commited!

i am itching to tear into this bag of parts!!  ;D

~TD

Welcome aboard mate :)

Filter: Kickass. Definitely worth it.

PSU: Get one off ebay. Batteries is probably a dream.

Ghetto: Sounds just as good ;)

Budget: Anyone have that link to the cardboard midibox?

Carbon footprint: The problem is not the tools, it's what we do with them. Use the carbon wisely, make beautiful music and save the world from foolish humans.

PS: Radio shack probably uses more energy powering up the store all day, plastics, adertising, etc etc etc, than it saves by shipping everything in one go.

You're in now! Fresh meat! :D

so i started building the core module last night..

i managed to get all the resistors and both IC sockets installed!  :)

not bad considering i have not soldered like that in quite some time.

(but lets not get too cocky here, lest i get my feet kicked out from under me. haha!!)

the Smash TV PCB's are all pro, and the kits are put together quite nicely.

regarding my Radio Shack excursion.. not very productive. only able to get solder, veroboard, 1/4 phono jacks, and a tip..

(add $12 bringing my cost to $129 so far.) 

no good tact switches, no ribbon cable, IDC, SIL, or DIL crimp connectors..

man! RadioShack is NOT the place it once was.. more like a Circuit City with a few parts..

its kind of sad.. people just really don't build things themselves anymore..

You should have seen the look on the associates face when he asked what i was building..

"yeah.. im building a synthesizer from a C64 SID chip!" ..he thought i was crazy!!! haha!

i will try to post some pictures soon of my progress.

I completed building the core, testing voltages, and successfully uploaded MIOS. :)

still waiting on the LCD so i had to do it blind, but MIOS studio appeared to upload MIOS successfully.

if i monitor the MIDI in data i can see a happy little sysex msg prompt when i power on the core so i assume that it is alive..  pictures soon..

i made a bankstick last week, and after loading the patches i spent the rest of my time pretty much delighted as i auditioned the soundbank...

of note, i have been using MIOS studio on mac OS X quite well for hex dumps and monitoring data etc..

however it looks like sysex send/recieve is not yet implimented 

...as on that page one is greeted with "***TO DO***"    ...hmmm.

i found a nice free app SysEx Librarian:  http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/  which did the trick quite nicely.

also, ordered the remainder of parts from mouser today.. and i think i found my case.

so i wait for parts. im anxious to get mr. SID boxed up!

i

Thursday afternoon a box from mouser.. checked out my parts and spent about two hours chewing on this case with nibblers. (rather tedious.)  Friday eve. OLED LCD panel! (re. ordered stateside as the one from hong kong was apparently lost and being resent.. jeese.)  anyway, I hooked up the LCD last night after tediously crimping the LCD end of the cable for 4 bit mode on an IDC connector! ..but it looks tidy, and i like the idea of being able to swap parts around w/o solder/unsolder, and quite pleased it worked first try.  ;D  so, i have ALL my parts now. will spend the rest of this weekend on controls and case.

oh btw.. i broke down and bought a C64 w/power supply on ebay.

i now have most of the items for a second box.. 8)

Im in the home stretch.. this weekend it felt like orange county choppers as i fabricated my case!

also wired up the LCD, soldered din4x module, and soldered buttons to vero, all i need to do now is wire up the buttons and encoder to DIN and im there! ..and a few cosmectic details.  ::)

question: on a Smash TV DIN4x module, is it kosher to cut it in half, if one is only stuffing half the registers? ( it seems like it wouldnt be a prob, but other side of course, would be no good. ) id like to save the space as it is getting rather cramped inside my case..  if not, ill just have to cram it all in there!! haha.  ;)

oh yeah, and im calling it..  "Greenie"