~SIDDER~ a SID v2 build

DenDer

B: We (stryd and me) came to the conclusion that the pic id header might be wrong.

It definitely is ID 1, not 0 as you had expected - this can be seen be the upload request. As you say though, we can use the change_id app and fix that right up :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So i've checked my core on soldering mistakes: None to be found

Did the Vdd test: All positive values

Did the ground test : All positive values

My midi plugs cant be wrong since they are soldered directly to the pcb

Next thing to do is changing the id header....

So if i want to change the id header from 01 to 00 i open up MIOS, than load the change_id application 0000 0000 0000 0000, with the device id set to 01 in the hexuploader, press start and then power up the core, right?

This part is really confusing ??? ??? ???

btw i didnt do this yet because i want to be sure that im doing the right thing here....

So if i want to change the id header from 01 to 00 i open up MIOS, than load the change_id application 0000 0000 0000 0000, with the device id set to 01 in the hexuploader, press start and then power up the core, right?

Right.

OKEE MAYOR COOL UPDATE::::::

[glow=red,2,300]MY SIDDER IS WORKING!!!!!!!![/glow]

Okee i must admit being an ass.........ive put the optocoupler the other way around.....really dum dum dum dum.....so switched it back to its correct position and started uploading without any problems.

So check, double check, three double check if its in the right position otherwise your midi won't work.

[glow=red,2,300]SIDDER IS ALIVE[/glow]

You can imaging how happy i am at the moment...all my friends declared me for a nut, i quote:''yeah,yeah cool sounds from an old c64, you're an idiot that doesn't work'' well i(we) proved them wrong.....

THIS IS SO GREAT.....

nice one mate!  ;D

You can imaging how happy i am at the moment...all my friends declared me for a nut, i quote:''yeah,yeah cool sounds from an old c64, you're an idiot that doesn't work'' well i(we) proved them wrong.....

THIS IS SO GREAT.....

Thank you guys!!! ;D Well all the equipment i need is in the mail to make a complete C surface SIDDER.

LCD, rotary pots and tacticle switches are coming from Voti. Another core kit, three SID pcb's, dinX4, dout kit are coming from Smash. I already got all the wires, leds, phonojacks I need. So now its waiting in anticipation on the parts to arrive...... ;) ;)

Yes, today the package from Voti arrived ;D So now its time to connect the LCD.....but I have some questions about it.....I read somewhere that you dont have to connect D0 till D3 or something like that to the LCD. I've been looking everywhere but i can't find it anymore ??? Any  one?

And I'm confused about how to connect 4 SID modules(all 6581) to 2 core modules(pic18F452).....

I know how to connect the 2 cores btw but then you connect 2 SID modules just to one core right?

So the master core controls the slave core and 2 SID modules and the slave core only controls the other 2 SID modules.

There is to much information thats scattered around on Ucapps.

Thanks Cosmo, but doesn't this only apply to V2 ? ? ? ? And can I apply this to my project since i'm using pic18f452? But first i want to connect the LCD.

AND AGAIN.....I'VE READ SOMEWHERE THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO CONNECT D0 TILL D3 OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP??????????

Oke found it!!! For pic18f452 you have to connect all the wires....

i quote from uCapps:If a PIC18F4685 is used in the project (-> MIDIbox SID V2), the LCD is accessed in 4bit mode. Accordingly, the data pins D0/D1/D2 and D3 should be left open at core and LCD side (don't connect them to ground!) - see mbhp_lcd_4bit.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Yes yes y'all......package arrived this weekend from Smash.... i really have to hurry to get this thing going....i have a live performance on the 9th of may and it would be really cool if i can use SIDDER live on stage....last weekend i had a try out with my live setup and the crowd went willlllddd.

Some questions.... I'm building this with pic 18f452, so a version one.

1.Do i need to have a core for every SID module or not??

2.Or is it only possible to control 2 SID modules from one core with pic 18f620??

Otherwise i'll be switching to pic 18f620 and use the 18f452 for a MidiBox 64 that i'm going to build for a friend and one for myself. He is my vj on the parties i organize and he needs a midibox to control the vj software.

3. I'm building the control surface now. When i connect the lcd do have to upload anything to the pic or is the lcd control already in the main hex? (im using a 4*20 LCD with bl)... and does this also counts for the DIN and DOUT pinning, are those also in the main hex??

The DIN and DOUT boards are soldered, the lcd i'm working on it right now.

O yeah if you are going to make the ledmatrix leave out the last 220 resistor pack and bridge it. I was yet again to enthousiastic and had to desolder the bugger again. Just a waste of time. I really need to buy a printer and print these things out.

3. I'm building the control surface now. When i connect the lcd do have to upload anything to the pic or is the lcd control already in the main hex? (im using a 4*20 LCD with bl)... and does this also counts for the DIN and DOUT pinning, are those also in the main hex??

i don't know anything about the V1 process but as far as the LCD and DIN/DOUT goes, it should all be in the main hex file.  just watch out for the 4-bit/8-bit issue i seem to be having.  it's no fun.  make sure your LCD will run in 4-bit mode otherwise you may have to re-ID your PIC and change the LCD driver.

Some questions.... I'm building this with pic 18f452, so a version one.

Why would you do that (except for not having the newer PICs *yet*)?

1.Do i need to have a core for every SID module or not??

Yes, with the 18F452.

2.Or is it only possible to control 2 SID modules from one core with pic 18f620??

Why "or"? Yes, it is possible with the sid v2 hardware.

On v1 they're a bit clustered in different places. It's all documented on ucapps.de though. As long as you DON'T upload the "no cs" version, the LCD will work right away, although you might wanna make some changes in main.asm to change the display size.

Well just connected the lcd and its working although i get a ''cs not enabled!!'' message. So i have to upload the other file to enable it. I'm going to a studio reset at the moment, changing the way of ordening things for easy play,you know....i bought a lot of equipment lately so its time for a change.

I'll connect SIDDER tomorrow(if i can find some time...got three bookings on saturday ;D ) on the computer and get back to you. But LCD working....ya

quote]

On v1 they're a bit clustered in different places. It's all documented on ucapps.de though. As long as you DON'T upload the "no cs" version, the LCD will work right away, although you might wanna make some changes in main.asm to change the display size.

What do you mean by this???

Sometimes i really get confused with this sh*t. What are these .inc files?? And do i need to make some changes now??? And if i want to change the main.asm can i do this in like MidiOX?

the .inc files are inside the 'src' folder located inside the app folder..

on mac you can just edit them with textedit..

and regarding xcode2 on OSX as suggested by  buhler, you a will also need to go get gputils from sourceforge and load gpasm..  ( i hope this doen't seem overwhelming..) then  i had to copy the gputils myself to /usr/bin/ before make would see the gpasm lib.

cd to the folder containing source files in terminal..  type:

sudo ./configure , make ,  make install 

run each command in turn..

..hope that helps.