Crimping cable to SIL connectors?

m00dawg

So I have tried to avoid this at all cost, but think I have run out of options and have to dive into the world of making SIL cables (to mate with the male SIL headers for CORE, and other boards). It seems that the DIL connectors are quite easy to crimp down onto ribbon cable with a pair of pliers. The instructions I saw on Smash TV, and other places, seem to require a special crimp too?

Is there any way around this? I asked some of the hardware peeps at work and the recommendation was to use female headers on the boards and then solder the wire to male pins?

Thanks (as always)!

Tim

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i've had very succesful efforts at crimping the SIL connectors from Smash with a pair of needle nose pliers, you just need to figure out the technique of how to hit the two wings near the end of the metal insert.

i can post pics if they would be helpful to anyone.

-Ajax

I did it for the first time last night mate, its not as scary as it looks! I used needle nose pliers as someone else in here mentioned. The trick is to get the tip of the pointy bit in the grooves of one side of the needle nose pliers, and the opposite corner in the grooves of the other side of the pliers...that probably doesnt make too much sense but as soon as u start applying pressure, the triangular tab will start to bend, then you do the opposite for the other one...bend them enough so you can wiggle the wire in there, then squeaze the crap out of it both ways so its box-shaped...a bit of solder on the wire and you are good to go! The hardest part I found was sticking it into the plastic housing...sometimes it just doesnt want to go!