Custom MEC Love

stryd_one

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, good idea to bolt the perf boards together like that!

I'm going to use the MECs for my SEQ as well, and am wondering at having 1, 5, 9, and 13 be different LED colors than the rest, to more easily locate the groups of four. I don't know if this would work out or not, or if any particular color combination would be more attractive than another. Has this crossed your mind as well?

I have thought about that also, but have not dissected my switches to see if I can replace the LEDs. 

I think I got the idea of bolting the perfboards from the pix that TK put up on the web. 

My point of difference, I then attached the perfboard to 1/4" hardboard (with 1/2" plastic spacers) to firm up the 'floppy' way perfboard goes together. I will drill holes in the hardboard to allow wires to pass through, and mount all the PCBs on the underside of the hardboard.  That way, it is only a rack mounted panel, without an enclosure.

good luck with your project !!

gb

Hi all,

I got final pricing on these, and it's pretty much the same as I posted before. Alas I don't have a few grand lying around, so I'll have to take payment in advance, and there could be a significant lead time - I was told it's up to 12 weeks (we'll only know for sure after the order is placed).

Also, the clicky version are only 10c cheaper than the custom silent ones, which is pretty expensive compared to retail I've seen... Kinda makes me wonder if I should try another distributor, but the one I've spoken to is the only one local to me...

Sorry there's not much happy news happening there guys. Have a think about it all, and I'll post again soon with the exact pricing, and a wiki page to take firm orders.

Hi,

I would advise to look for another distributor. Last year I bought 100pcs of 3FTL6 from Elproma Elektronika (http://www.elproma.com.pl).

Here are quotes I got in march 2007, prices are in euros.

3FTL6 0,45

1D 0,09

1E excl. lens 0,09

1E incl. lens 0,21

1S - heights 16.0 - 19.0 - 22.5 0,09

3FTL are noisy ones and those prices are for 100pcs. I can attach enitre PDF with prices for all MEC products I got back then but it would be better to contact Elproma and ask for more recent prices.

Regards,

koki.

Here are quotes I got in march 2007, prices are in euros.

Wow, that`s a quite difference. What do you say stryd?

Keep in mind that the 1E and 1D caps I've listed here are not standard 1E/1D caps, the translucent white led hole is custom run... So it's not a massive difference... But those are really good prices on the switch and the 1S, normally they don't come that cheap even in bulk through a retailer with stock!

If anyone overseas would be willing to fire off an email to their local distributor that would be great, but keep in mind that if we ship the full order to australia it will incur customs duties and that will sting. If we get them from overseas, we'll need someone overseas to break the order up and spread it around.

Thanks mate you're very kind!

Here are the quantities for the order:

3FTL6 300 (Standard 3F Thruhole, no LED)

3FTL6-Q 1300 (Quiet 3F Thruhole, no LED)

1D.16 800 (Translucent white)

1E.09.6 800 (Black with translucent window)

1E.03.6 350 (Grey with translucent window)

1S11.16.0 700 (Clear round)

I just found what looks like these tactile switches with pre-installed red T1 LEDs for US $0.20 each (US $1.00 for a pack of 5) at Electronic Goldmine.  I'm sure they're the clicky ones. I took a chance and ordered 500.  They don't have any caps available at Electronic Goldmine.  This switch deal is at: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G15660

G15660B.jpg

Note: these switches just showed up and I now see why people like the quiet ones for musical applications.  These clicky ones have a very nice, positive (and loud) click when depressed and also when released.  I won't be using these clicky ones everywhere, just those places I want to be easily able to tell the button was pressed without looking at the button or a light.

I just found what looks like these tactile switches with pre-installed red T1 LEDs for US $0.20 each (US $1.00 for a pack of 5) at Electronic Goldmine.  I'm sure they're the clicky ones. I took a chance and ordered 500. 

500  :o

I ordered 35 or so for my SEQ and yes, they're the clicky kind. VERY clicky.

Stryd, I was going to get some 1S11-16 from another MIDIbox'r but I haven't heard anything back for a month- Is it possible to get some, say 50, at this late date? Not a problem if not. Thanks for doing this for the community...

Peake: At this point, you need to ask drsyncenstein... but I doubt the distributor will even notice a small increase like that.

drsyncenstein: thanks heaps mate!!! good luck!

amp1ron: there are a few cheap places to get the basic switch as surplus like that, but the point of this thread is the custom goodies :)

I'd like 100x 1Q031 which is a black cap with a square transparent lens.

They look great, but first things first; let's see what happens with the other switches.

I'll wait for a week to see if i can get things cheaper, if not then Stryd and I will decide who will be ordering what. If possible, I would not mind to add your switches, but it will save your very little i guess.