Newbie looking for help starting a Midibox SID V2 minimal control surface.

Snyderman

Okay, I've tried my best to read up as much as I can on the topic before asking here but I'm at the point where I think it would be more helpful just to ask you guys here.

I even read this forum post: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,11465.0.html

I've looked over SmashTV's site and as far as I'm aware the parts I need to order are:

1 Core Kit with PIC18F4685 (Header 0000 0000 0000 0000)

1 Din Kit

1 SID Kit

1 24LC512 Bankstick

Is there anything else that I can order from him that I'll definitely need like midi jacks?

Another quick question.

I noticed in the FAQ regarding PSUs, they say that once you add an LCD you either need to use a second power supply or the optimized PSU.  Does that mean it will be best to just cannibalize an old C64?

I'm sorry for the really basic questions, but I'm really anxious to get started on this.

Is there anything else that I can order from him that I'll definitely need like midi jacks?

Another quick question.

I noticed in the FAQ regarding PSUs, they say that once you add an LCD you either need to use a second power supply or the optimized PSU.  Does that mean it will be best to just cannibalize an old C64?

you may want to look into a DOUT kit as well...  as far as MIDI jacks, you won't be able to send and receive MIDI if you don't have a way to get it into and out of the box. ;)  also, the C64 PSU is external not internal so "cannibalizing" isn't necessary BUT it is necessary, if you have a C64, to take the SID out of it as the "SID Kit" from SmashTV doesn't come with a SID.

Right, I understand that the C64 PSU is external.  I meant more along the lines of is the "optimized PSU" option more necessary for the complete control surfaces or even just the basic control surface, or would another PSU do?

Also, I noticed that the DOUT module wasn't explicity mentioned in the FAQ for the minimal control surface.  Do I really need one if I don't plan to have any LEDs on it?

Right, I understand that the C64 PSU is external.  I meant more along the lines of is the "optimized PSU" option more necessary for the complete control surfaces or even just the basic control surface, or would another PSU do?

Also, I noticed that the DOUT module wasn't explicity mentioned in the FAQ for the minimal control surface.  Do I really need one if I don't plan to have any LEDs on it?

The optimized PSU is very easy to slap together (I did it in an afternoon with no problems what-so-ever, and my soldering skills leave alot to be desired) plus from what I've read you'll get the best signal-to-noise ratio using that option.

For the minimal control surface (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you only need a DINX2 but you could use a DINX4 with only 2 of the 4 shift registers stuffed.

no, the DOUT isn't necessary but that's up to you i guess (LED's etc.).  either way, the C64 PSU is used.  i'm not sure what you are asking.  the C64 PSU gives you both 12V/9V and 5V rails and the optimized PSU "optimizes" it's efficiency.  better signal to noise ratio etc.  otherwise, you will have to find a separate PSU for your Core module and a separate one for your SID(s) module(s) not to mention that you may not get as clean a sound with whatever you decide to use.  i'm still not sure what you mean about the whole cannibalizing of the C64...?

Buhler, yea that's what I wasn't sure about.  Without the C64 PSU I thought I'd need a separate power supply for the core and SID modules.  As far as "cannibalizing", all I meant is that since I don't have a SID or a PSU at the moment I'm likely going to buy a C64 with PSU and just snatch the SID chip.  I might just ask here in the fleamarket since I'm much more likely to get a working 8580.  Or I might just wait and get extra chips from the SID Mega-Sale #7.

I was originally planning to get 8 for the MB-6582 but I know myself well enough to say I'll probably leave the components sitting around like many others.  If I build one of the basic models first I'll be much more likely to actually make the MB-6582.

It's probably easier to build the MB-6582 since the control surface and case are already planned out for you and everything is contained on just two boards. I'd say the only benefits of building what you plan to build are the total cost and the experience of really "doing it yourself."

veau: That is a very un-DIY way of looking at it. The mb6582 is an awesome thing, but I doubt that it could possibly fit *everyone's* needs. Depending on the way you plan to use your mbSID your way of going about building and setting up the CS may be pretty different from the mb6582. This is one of the enormous advantages of the midibox concept - its customisability.

edit: typo. thx bugfight.

-ize endings are perfectly correct British English also...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

... and technically,-ize endings are preferred for an international context like internet forums etc.

Worldwide, -ize endings prevail in scientific writing and are commonly used by many international organizations.

So...  :P

-ize endings are perfectly correct British English also...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

... and technically,-ize endings are preferred for an international context like internet forums etc.

So...  :P

[/quote

Not in my part of England it isn't! I shall continue to use -ise, No problems other people with different native languages adding their own flair to the English language so I'll do the same (I'm from a reputable posh part of the UK :/ ). The only other option is that I start typing in a broad Yorkshire accent, but then don't think anyone would quite understand me. I bet the wiki page was written by an American anyway. ;D