Buying a Midibox sid?

Olorin

hi!

i saw this mbsid too on ebay but i thought that sale must have been approved by TK if it's being sold. and i can understand very well if people here are upset if they're really investing time and power to give help, good ideas and new projects for free. if you've read through the forum you know there's lots of asking and answering done and everyone likes it this way.

i'm an example for a complete loser or beginner too. all projects i've begun till now used to fail too, because i don't have enough skills or in order to not knowing whom to ask for help. such are e.g. some 8 step analog sequencer, a 2 octave cv keyboard and last year a trigger to midi convertor of PAIA to convert my drum trigger pulses into midi note-ons... all was failing. but they're still here and i'll look if i can manage or somehow get to know what i done wrong.

last year i've also bought 10 SID chips from WILBA (thanks) which are still in their envelope because i couldn't finish that PAIA crap yet. and there are other projects here i'm interested in, eg the FM synth, the MB64 controller, midi to cv and of course the MBsequencer (everything, everything).

but if you're sure you don't like doing it by yourself there's always the possibility to say ok i don't need 8 voice sid sound, so here's an auction on ebay where you can buy a selfmade sidstation (said to be older) but of course i don't know if it really isn't a midibox sid. here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.de/SID-SYNTHESIZER-CUSTOME-MADE-3-VOICES-OF-8-BIT-HEAVEN_W0QQitemZ280300059656QQcmdZViewItemQQptZStudioequipment?hash=item280300059656&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

and an original elektron sidstation (with original price of course):

http://cgi.ebay.de/Elektron-Sid-Station-MOS-6581-8-Bit-Synthesizer-RARE_W0QQitemZ110328834905QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item110328834905&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

i don't actually know a) if at least the links are functioning that way if i copy & paste them here b) if it's ok to link to non-mb-sales in order to not persuading s.o. to become builder

...but as you can see, i don't even know how to add a picture to my name <--

Yep, that first link is another fucking midibox. Some people are just total assholes.

I do quite like that case though...

Although, the knobs could be a bit loser to the sides, and how are you supposed to read the LCD whilst seeing which knob you are twiddling?

• 2 weeks later...

last year i've also bought 10 SID chips from WILBA (thanks) which are still in their envelope

WHYYYYY??!

It isn't fair...

Anyway, I think mostly everyone in this forum joined it because they thought MBox(SID, FM, Seq) was so cool that they decided to learn electronics and/or programming so they could have it. Not because they were a bunch of nerds with nothing else to do.

So if you are not willing to go trough the process of learning this (witch, in my opinion is half the fun), then you simply don't deserve it... Stick with sidstation then

Did you look at the wiring on that thing? Pass the Parmesan. . . I can predict that the new owner will end up here asking for help.

On this type of tack, a couple of questions of mine.

I want to build a Traktor controller for a Goth/EBM DJ in Manchester. The reason she needs it is that she is partially sighted, for the very same reason, she won't be doing any building, though she will have major design/layout input. She will want to give me something for my efforts: If I get her to buy me some MIDIbox board/parts is that still legit?

I have a Scandinavian musician friend who has never done any building, and was thinking of a P3 sequencer. In reality a MIDIbox seq would be better for him. I can get him over here for a week or so, after a UK gig, and do a kind of 'summer school' build, where I get him to do as much assembly as possible, but also make sure he has a working reliable unit when he leaves. Again, panel and style design will be all his. prior to the visit, though I will do the internal layouts and power supplies to make sure it's reliable and safe. Basically as if I were making up a 'complete kit', then supervising it's assembly. Can he pay me something for my time?

In my mind, the first one is OK, not sure abut the second.

Did you look at the wiring on that thing? Pass the Parmesan. . . I can predict that the new owner will end up here asking for help.

On this type of tack, a couple of questions of mine.

I want to build a Traktor controller for a Goth/EBM DJ in Manchester. The reason she needs it is that she is partially sighted, for the very same reason, she won't be doing any building, though she will have major design/layout input. She will want to give me something for my efforts: If I get her to buy me some MIDIbox board/parts is that still legit?

I have a Scandinavian musician friend who has never done any building, and was thinking of a P3 sequencer. In reality a MIDIbox seq would be better for him. I can get him over here for a week or so, after a UK gig, and do a kind of 'summer school' build, where I get him to do as much assembly as possible, but also make sure he has a working reliable unit when he leaves. Again, panel and style design will be all his. prior to the visit, though I will do the internal layouts and power supplies to make sure it's reliable and safe. Basically as if I were making up a 'complete kit', then supervising it's assembly. Can he pay me something for my time?

In my mind, the first one is OK, not sure abut the second.

What is the night called in Manchester? Our local EBM/Industrial venue (wendyhouse) has started to play crap techno, mainly to go for a general studenty type thing rather than those with a darker taste in music... I may be tempted to venture further afield to see what's on.

I think only TK can say whether the two scenarios are OK. Personally I'd think it'd be OK as you are charging for your time and expertise rather than making a proffit. They buy the kits and you provide an electronics lesson as it were.

What is the night called in Manchester? Our local EBM/Industrial venue (wendyhouse) has started to play crap techno, mainly to go for a general studenty type thing rather than those with a darker taste in music... I may be tempted to venture further afield to see what's on.

sadly, my favourite, (and I haven't been for a while due to other commitments), had it's last night in December Arrgh! http://www.sincitymanchester.co.uk/ Check the playlists, anyway.

She does the Internet radio "The Miss Jinny Show": http://www.missjinny.com/theshow.htm

Her co-presenter, Fitz also is the main musician in "Skinjob" - which I quite like http://www.skinjob.co.uk/, also  http://www.myspace.com/skinjobcouk to hear some music.

I'll ask the right questions at my next club night in Manchester, (Hint: my part is not musical...), and let you know what else is on. Is the "One in Twelve" in Bradford still running?

Sorry to hear about sincity, all the best goth nights seem to shut down, but often reappear a few years down the line!

Unfortunately it looks like the one in twelve club closed in 2001 www.1in12events.co.uk

There's Wendyhouse at Leeds university which is a good club night, but as I mentioned beofore, the upstairs "cyber" room is playing a lot of bad dance music, but still plays all the classics too. It's on the third saturday of the month. Occasionally they use "The Mine" downstairs which is an amazing venue. This is the one goth type club in the area where people from all over the place travel to get there.

My friends in leeds have started a night in Leeds called Mortalled (links to follow) which is at the Library Pub near hyde-park. The best night I've found in a while which plays EBM, Industrial, Darkpsy, techno, etc, all miced in with a bit o prodigy and faithless... can't go wrong with that really.

Corporation in Sheffield have a room upstairs called "Sin" which is on every Saturday which plays all the right music.

If your wanting a festival that caters for that type of crowd then Whitby Goth Weekend is amazing. There's two official nights (Friday + Saturday) but "fringe" events are held from the Wednesday to the Monday. It's held twice a year too.

• 2 years later...

Hi!

There are few reasons why I can't make my own midinox sid:

- all my time is separated between my family and little doughter from one side and working/ making music on gigs so I cant allow myself to get any soldering skills (it sucks to realise that i lost lots of time before my doughter born)

- it really hard to find commodore (or SID itself) in Ukraine

- if I'll be lucky to find it, noone would agree assemble it for any money.

Really feel sorry to ask anyone for to sell one made midiboxsid but I feel that vst's are leading me to the dead end.

P.S.: sorry for my eanglish

Edited by Tom Sine

• 3 months later...

I also work a lot, have a newborn, wife and family that takes time. Also the time I started midiboxing I had a lot of gigs and practice with the band 10h a week.

Still, I wanted to have a midibox sid.

I took a trip to the forum and it had taken me half a day of wait to know what I needed to build what I wanted...

I ordered in about half of what I needed from smashtv and I solder when I had the time. I'm not finished yet, and I do it in a slow pace when I for time for it. Though it is not for free it is still pretty cheap, and that was what dragged me the most towards this - the freedom to do it whenever I have time, money and in my own pace.

It is way possible to build a sid without learning the details. Not all have time for all the details, but mb platform is for almost everyone. And the soldering stuff, it is really not hard at all. There is a few tricks need to knows, but there are plenty of vids on utube that show how it is done and how it should look like.

And then you have the sammichsid... It is so easy to build, and its the closest to a complete solution u get for now.

I believe if u are a musician and know how to wire ur instruments, you will probably be able to do this too without very much effort.

As for sids, from time to time they are sold in the midibox fleamarket, and also on ebay. Not very hard to get, you just need to do a search now and then. It has taken me approx. 10th searches to get my sids. Some bought on fleamarket and some on ebay. You only need one or two, but you can use up to 8 in the 6582. I now have 8 of them, and that took me about 6 months.

And that also in a country it is nearly impossible to dig up commodores.

Everything, I believe, can be done, but in right time and with the priorities right. If u want to do something, u go ahead and make time for it. There are very few people in the world with that little time. Many of us in here are active musicians, and have time.

Don't mean to flame you in any way here, just suggesting and encourageing you to get going.

You will meet people here more than willing to help out in any way they can, and it is no talk of they don't want to be bothered wit it, help needed, help u will get. This community is composed by a lot of different people with lots of different skills. And are very welcoming to newbies.

So if you really want a midibox sid, here is the absolutely best place to be. Some sell their midiboxes in the fleamarket, and it just cost time to check now and then if you really think u cannot build one yourself, wich I believe is a very real possibility that you can do...

Good luck, stick around and see what happens here and what u can do and you might find urself doing less gigs and building midiboxes instead.

Haz a nice day.