RFC: MBSEQ V4 percussion tracks

TK.

drum mode: does anybody really see the need for more variations, e.g. 4 parameter layers with 64 steps, if only 8 drum instruments are played per track?

(I think: no)

I don't see the need for more than that either.I think if it makes the UI more understandable and productive then leave it that way. But...would it complicate things if you could have 16 drum instruments on a track. Would that mean 2 layers per instrument and still 64 steps? I think being able to edit the notes/cc ect.. is more important than squeezing more instruments into a track. I could think of many circumstances that I would want 2 notes playing, mod wheel and pan at the same time for one drum instrument. And those would use up the 4 parameter layers for each drum instrument in a track correct?

Regards Echo

But...would it complicate things if you could have 16 drum instruments on a track. Would that mean 2 layers per instrument and still 64 steps?

yes, because 2 * 16 * 64 = 2048 bytes, but only 1024 bytes (per track) are reserved for parameters (for various reasons)

Just use two tracks with 8 instruments each, it doesn't make a big difference (in distance: it gives you more flexibility when defining direction/progression parameters)

I could think of many circumstances that I would want 2 notes playing, mod wheel and pan at the same time for one drum instrument. And those would use up the 4 parameter layers for each drum instrument in a track correct?

You won't be able to send CCs on drum tracks, since CCs are channel based, but drum instruments are note based. Thats the MIDI protocol.

Instead, you would either control a sound parameter via velocity (if your drum machine allows this, e.g. it's supported by MBSID), or you would send the CCs from another track within the same pattern. You can comfortably switch between the drum and CC track with the track button - in fact, if you wouldn't know that these are different tracks, you wouldn't see a difference.

Or you would use a common track with 4, 8 or 16 parameter layers, and control the drums which really require sound parameter changes from there.

If you would like to send two notes, just use two trigger layers

Btw.: I noticed, that a drum track is nice to play polyphonic sequences with up to 16 predefined notes (scale) on a synth as well. :)

This means: "Drum" track doesn't mean, that you can only play drums

and "Note" track doesn't mean, that you cannot play drums from there...

Basically the track type only defines, how MIDI events are generated and edited.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

To give you some impressions (pictures taken from emulation, but it already works on the real HW as well):

Drum Edit Page:

mbseqv4_drum_edit.png

Step View selection with zoom function (64 steps):

mbseqv4_stepview64.png

Step View selection with zoom function (256 steps):

mbseqv4_stepview256.png

(unfortunately, due to the LCD limitation of 8 special chars, only 15 of 16 dots (gate triggers) can be displayed per stepview)

Trigger View selection:

mbseqv4_trgsel.png

Now it's time to implement a 16x16 BLM for the emulation ;)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

You gotta have more cowbell...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4royOLtvmQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4royOLtvmQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4royOLtvmQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Definately more cowbell.

And those diamonds in the step view, thats waaay too much Cubase vibe for me  ;)

No, it's awesome. Great idea of using a simplified step scheme for the drum tracks!

As for the drum mode, I'd also say we don't need more variations than the ones you lined out.