MB6582 Design Opinions?

sensorium

I ordered a red anodized aluminum panel from FPE.  It is red (obviously) with white text and black lines.  I'm looking for recommendations or LED and LCD colors that will complement this scheme.  I thought of all red, but that might be red overkill.  What else would look nice with this panel in your opinion?  Thanks in advance.

dim whites for leds and red or white negative lcd.

you did not say a word about knobs - if (goblinz') reds you might be into troubles of red shades - which could be quite differently saturated than your front panel. whites would put you in much less troubles.

I have red and white knobs to try out...

And which ones of these would be considered "dim" whites?  Also, if you click on the 1st option, this LED has a square top instead of rounded.  Do you think this would look nice?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htm

Also, where can I find a compatible white NEGATIVE LCD?  I'm only finding positives.

If you use square ones, be aware of the fact that you'll need one little square hole for every LED.

This is going to be expensive or veery hard work.

Dim white LEDs will look pretty. The Problem here is that you'll have to increase the current limiting resistor and therefore decrease the LED-current. If you "underpower" a white LED, the light gets some kind of dirty green touch.

Dim white would be <1000mcd

The RL5-W15120 could work.

I can't say whether the big viewing angle is a pro or a con.

If you use square ones, be aware of the fact that you'll need one little square hole for every LED.

This is going to be expensive or veery hard work.

Actually it is still round from the top view.  It's just flat instead of being rounded across the top.  You can see the side/top view of it here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/W15120_specs.htm

How will that look?

And this is the only black/white LCD I can find (but not negative). 

http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFAH2004ATFHJT.html

How will this look with the white LED's?  And can you get the LED's and LCD to be the same "shade" of white?

I'm a big fan of LED's that look like their colour when they are not going.. I find that the red ones that are clear are quite hard to see in well lit enviroments, where as red LED's that are encased in red plastic are much easier to see from different angles & lighting conditions.

For the sake of your eyesite, forget about blue, purple .. (Have you ever tried to use the Poly Evolver in the dark... did Dave Smith even try his synth in a dark room?)  also forget superbright LED's unless you want to use them as a torch.

Any colour you pick is up to you dude (It's your design after all).. red on red would look cool.. .. yellow or orange could look cool... Green could look at bit christmas time, so I'd probably avoid.

Regards

Mike

Thanks all.  I went with the Amber crystalfonz LCD and Diffuse Amber LEDs.  I hope it will look nice!  Now I have to find a way to make my Waldorf style knobs to match the scheme.  I have grey, red, and white.  Maybe I'll just black them out?  Ot try to do a clean job with some amber testor model paint?