Newbie needs an advice

dns370

Recently i decided to put all my affords in a sequencer project which will be my very first DIY. But things get a little bit confusing since the new SEQ4 is introduced and according to some posts allready in state of "nearly finished". I am not quite sure if it is better for me starting with the SEQ3 or waiting till the moment when the SEQ4 is officialy released.

As far as i understood the only difference on the hardware is the new core-board with the chip - right?

On the other side - thinking about my skills in soldering (i did some exercise) - it will take me a long, maybe a very long time soldering parts together. Starting with the DIN-, DOUT- and IIC-Midi-Modules seems to be the correct way for me.

This leads me to another question. The new coreboard has allready two Midi-IN/OUT´s. Further Midi-Outs (i need in sum four) requires at last two more IIC-Midi-Modules which means completing a MB_SEQ4 needs following modules:

3x DIN

1x DOUT

2x IIC-MIDI (with two Pic16F88)

1x STM32

Oh, beside all this i´d like to say "hello" to the community. I am watching this page since two years always thinking about a DIY-project but the time is now critical (i don´t like setting steps in my DAW everytime and in some case i´d like to be complete independent from my computer)

Greetings

Robert

Welcome!

I've personally built 2 sequencers, and helped two friends build theirs, and certainly rate it as a sequencer (The real time recording needs a bit of work, but this apparently is fixed up in V4)

I'd just build a V3 sequencer, and wait until the new core is available and then replace it with the newer core when that comes out.. could be tomorrow, could be in 6 months..

Shopping list

3 x DIN - yep

1 x DOUT - Yep

2 x IIC-MIDI (If you want.. this gives you extra outs, useful if you have heaps of stuff that responds only in Midi OMNI mode [old midi stuff].. like a JX3p or a SCI Prophet 600 etc..)

1 x Core

Then, don't forget the other hardware like LCD's , Buttons, LED's & the case etc..

Regards

Mike

Don't forget, if you want LEDs for V3 Track Group, Parameter Layer, Play, Stop, Pause, Stepview etc., you'll want up to an additional 11 DOUT pins, which equates to 2 shift registers (or DOUTX2).

I'm also wondering on the state of the STM Core, as I'm not going to machine my case/start screwing the boards down until I've fit everything in.

But, I can be patient...  :)

Thx for the reply.. :)

Yes i know ... there are many things to consider when i start with the project. I think it is usefull creating a detailed requirements specification and a step-by-step-plan because i don´t want to get lost and loosing my head.

By the way, Mike´s Electronic-Store seems to have most of the parts i will need for the MB_SEQ3 (the modules and chips). For the other parts i will go trough the list which Thorsten provided on the ucapps-site.

The case and the frontpanel is not high-priority-rated. I thought about a wooden case.

Greetings

Robert

Bla bla bla bla bla

Sorry, were you saying something? I wasn't paying attention..I was too busy playing with my SID synth..  ;]

Nah, it's all good.. it's documented... honest... would i lie to you?

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12092.0.html

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12413.90.html

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,11688.0.html

Regards

Mike