joes MBSIDv2

joewhat

hi, i might aswell make my own thread with the questions i might have now and in the future and maybe some postings about my process.. oiy

here goes my first question,, i dont seem to be able to find any documentation on how to wire a midi jack like the one i have.. this maybe lack of knowledge on what to put in my search strings? because im very new to electronics, but i've bin around and have no luck finding anything.. can any one draw an tell or link me up? thanks alot

- joe

midi_jack.jpg

Hi again,, i have a little question about wire-ring my LCD to the core..

i have a WM-C2002M LCD - http://pdfserv.datasheetpro.net/ZETTLERElectronics/WM-C2002M.pdf

the pin connections on my LCD read like this

WM-C2002M_pinConnections.png

and here's the core connections

coreR4DETAILJ15.gif

1. it seems like i have two [DB2] and no [DB4]... what am i to do about this? do i connection the 2nd [DB2] to the [D4] on the core or do i not connect it at all?

2. on there core i read [b+ led] and [b- led] and on my LCD i read [LED A] and [LED K] i assume these are the once to be connected, but how do i know witch one on my LCD is the + and -?

3. just a little safety things.. this is the back side of my LCD and i just wanted to be sure i read it right according to the data sheet,, can anyone confirm my read?

LCD_rear.jpg

thanks a million. !

- joe

1. it seems like i have two [DB2] and no [DB4]... what am i to do about this? do i connection the 2nd [DB2] to the [D4] on the core or do i not connect it at all?

I guess Pin11 is a Typo. I think it should read DB4 there. Just try it, you won't destroy anything.

2. on there core i read [b+ led] and [b- led] and on my LCD i read [LED A] and [LED K] i assume these are the once to be connected, but how do i know witch one on my LCD is the + and -?

A[node] -> [+]

K/C[athode] -> [-]

3. just a little safety things.. this is the back side of my LCD and i just wanted to be sure i read it right according to the data sheet,, can anyone confirm my read?

The Pins 1,2 and 15 are indicated on the LCD-PCB.

Upper Row [l. to r.]:  1-3-5-7-9-11-13-15

Lower Row [l. to r.]:  2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16

auch, thank you so much...!!

i know you just saved me a ton of time about the pin layout on my LCD..!

A[node] ->

K/C[athode] -> [-]

here i understand that the [K/C] is minus? - and then the [A] is obviously + then.. but maybe you've got a word for google so i could maybe read up on this? just curious..

any how thanks alot. !! this project is awesome.. ! im thrilled

Hi again..

i started up my core today and this is what it looks like.. i get long line of black squares of not working core module on my LCD?

i tried out the current drain mA measuring and i get a strange constant 38.6-8mA? thru the hole process.. from connecting power to waiting about some time..

core_shooting.jpg

does any one know what im to do from here?.. should take the pic out and start from there?.. all my measuring before inserting seemed fine and i was very gentle trying not to ttouch any pins on the pic while inserting.. well.. i followed the assemble a core pfd... im a little lost.. :0(

- joe

seems all fine untill now.

The black row is completely normal as long as there is no MIOS on the PIC.

You'll have to connect the CORE with your PC (via MIDI) and upload the most recent MIOS-Version with MiosStudio (uCApps -> Downloads).

oh. ! this is very nice and a bit strange as i thought i bought a pre programmed pic from the smashTV. but i'll look into uploading a new MIOS..

but then was it possible i have received a PIC with only the bootloader? .. i cant just upload a MIOS to a blank PIC could i ? well .. speaking with out any read up.. ill go read some now.. thanks alot.!

this is what the label on my PIC says:

my_core.jpg

- joe

ok i see.. but there is a few ways to upload a MIOS i see and it kinda all depends on the current state of my PIC and since i thought it held the bootloader 1.2 and MIOS 1.9F..  but i have no MIOS if SPL you got it figured right? i assume.. - then how do i know witch version of the boot loader is on my PIC so i can chose the right upload method. should i just look for the upload request from the boot loader and assume that its version 1.2b?

also i read the midi trouble shooting page to be for a core with a PIC18F452, and i have a PIC18F4685.. does this have anything to say? did i buy the wrong PIC?

thanks again

- joe

You might want to double check all your LCD connections on both ends. I recently ran into the same problem, but I KNEW that I ordered the correct PIC, pre-loaded with MIOS from SmashTV. It was my LCD wiring was the problem not the PIC.

You have the right PIC for MBSIDv2.

It won't hurt to upload MIOS, if you want to give it a try, even if MIOS has already been uploaded by SmashTV. But, after building a mono SID and working on MB-6582, both times, I ran into this problem and it was my LCD wiring/soldering that was the source of the issues.

Also, don't forget to wire up your LCD for four-bit for a MBSID, if you haven't already, following this schematic.

"Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post."

eww...

Hmm... According to the Label on your PIC, there should be MIOS on it. But if you have MIOS on your PIC, there should be a message saying "Ready." on the LCD, which is not appearing here.

There are two things I would do for troubleshooting in this case:

1. Check the wiring of your LCD. Compare the CORE-schematics with the pinout of your LCD.

Try to contact the supplier of the LCD and ask him what he can say about the strange typo in the datasheet.

2. Connect the Core to your PC (MIDI), start MIOS Studio and check if your Core is sending any Upload-Requests at startup. Then Check if there is a MIOS-Version installed on the Core.

hope that helps

edit: 4-bit mode is a good point, frailn. I haven't thought of that.

where did you read about the 4-bit LCD mode?

The only way I was able to capture most of the information I have been using for MIDIbox projects is to print out all the documentation I find, then re-read the hardcopy and highlight the mandatory information that applies to my project. Also, I print out any info I find off the beaten track, like in a forum entry. If you have an hour to kill, try searching on something random like MBSID LCD issue or MB-6582 in the forum and just read people's issues and the resolutions. It has helped me tremendously. Sometimes it helps to go to the wiki and find a page of generic information that is not related specifically to your project. Like the LCD page. It may have a lot of info that does not apply to you. But, there will be one little nugget in there that is a must have. I'm an IT project manager, so I may be over-organized. But, having all the print outs in a folder, with the appropriate information highlighted saves me a lot of time and headaches.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again, i thinking about something but i dont know if its possible..

i wonder if it would be possible to power my MBSIDv2 setup from a pc.

my naive setup looks like this.(my MBSIDv2 setup is a one CORE two SID module stereo setup)

1243104797spaceman3000_indeni.jpg

spaceman_inprogress05.jpg

it a asus eee pc 900 stripped and modded for one finger touch-screen. some usb circuit from where ever.. but it gives med a possibility to have Machine Drum like encoders(if know that machine from elektron, its just endless turn encoders with push switch, and i get HID data for my programming)

but i have this Optimized PSU circuit and i was wondering if i could power it from the computers PSU... so here my plan:

the pc's PSU is 12V 3A, so i thought that i could use the 12V directly from the PSU to act as the 9V for the OPSU. and then drag the 5V for the OPSU from a USB port. - i think i have some Amp left as im not charting any battery on the PC.

any thoughts? ideas.. is this doable, crazy not working?

thanks

- joe

does it make any sense what i am asking?

should be doable, if that's what you wanted to hear  ;), but: switchmode PSUs tend to produce some high frequency digital noise, which will be hearable in the SID's audio output. I'd rather find a 12V transformer-PSU and try to run the PC and the SID with it.

What's that encoder-to-USB-PCB?

I used a switchmode PS in my SID synth..

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12413.75.html

The Power Supply I used has a 5v &  12v output.. I regulated the 12v down to 9v for the SIDs.

After A-B'ing it with a commodore 64 PS and the switchmode PS and I could not hear any difference in background noise etc..

Just my $.02, your results may vary.

Regards

Mike

Hi SLP, yeah something like that i wanted to hear.. im very new to elektroniks.. so i just wanted kinda feedback.. i've bin looking at this for some time now.. here and there. because it would be optimal with only one PSU.

what is switchmode PSUs? - i thought the Optimized PSU took care of the noise?--

What's that encoder-to-USB-PCB?

i was on the look out for somthing like the machine drum encoders and input them to my max/msp

i stumbled upon some flight simulation geeks at http://www.desktopaviator.com/ who provide this for a better and real flight experience :0)

he ships both the PCB and encoders.. i dont know if this is cheap?