About to start out, some questions.

cartesiaLive

Don't be too worried, it's not that vague!

First

I am looking at what I need to buy from smashTV/Mike's.. I want to buy as much at once as possible, I am not fussed about saving a few dollars by buying every electronic component separately etc..

Anyhow, so Mike's Midibox Seq set..

the core, the DINs, the DOUT and the IIC..

Need a PIC yeah?

Is the only stuff I need after that the din connectors/leds/lcds/case/housing stuff/buttons/encoders?

What am I missing then (besides vero and wires and stuff like that)?

Power supply?

Anything else?

Sorry, all just seems to be kind of fragmented to me... And want to make sure I'm not missing something silly!

Second

Besides the issue of fitting all the controls on the front panel, do you think it would be possible to make a smaller-form MBSeq? All the ones I see around are usually either rack width or quite large desktop things...

I don't mind if it ends up having to be this size, but I'd ilke to try and make it fit into about the same width as the longest side of an A4 piece of paper, and not as tall as the shorter side of an A4.. possibly use 2 rows of 8 rather than 1 row of 16 encoders... but I'm not sure yet... housing seems like a far off thing at the moment!

Thanks for your time,

gavin

Hey there!

The limitation on the size of the sequencer is the LCD screens.. As it uses 2 of 2x40 LCDs, that puts a limitation on how narrow it can be.. you could stagger the LCD's ontop of each other like I've seen someone do. (Check the gallery)

You don't 'need' the IIC, but it's great for suckers like me with lots of old synths that only run in Midi Omni mode..

(The core already has a MIDI in & out)

For my first sequencer, I mounted everything in a big bit of cardboard/thin MDF and got it working.. then I got a feel for how I'd like things laid out etc..

Don't forget knobs for your encoders..

Dont forget the bankstick! you need memory in there..

If you go 'panel' mount for your switches & encoders, you probably could get away with not using vero..

Read read read.. it's all there.

Regards

Mike

Thanks mike - That clears it up nicely!

The IIC will be useful for me... I have some midi gear that doesnt have 'thru' ports unfortunately... Man I hate it when manufacturers do that!

I probably will end up doing panel-mount controls.. I think thats easier

I'm going to start ordering as soon as I get my tax return  :D

I've been wanting to do the MBSeq for a long time, but when I first found out about it, there was no way I was ready.... Since then I've done a few electronics projects so I'm feeling confident with soldering now.. and can actually understand how the MBSeq is all going to come together!

Can't wait! The lack of good (& affordable) hardware sequencers with the 16 knobs-per-step style control has been my nemesis for 5 years or so now. I programmed my own sequencer in Max for a pair of BCR2000 midi controllers.. that was pretty awesome, but for some reason.. a midi controller attached to a computer never feels the same as a piece of standalone hardware. even though technically its still just a midi controller and a computer  :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...