panasonics encoders

d2k

Hey....

Today arrived my encoders from a ebay buy - and my oh my are they good :) Soz Ian, ur's are headin to encoder heaven :P...

The feel/response of them is excellent - even with the detent removed (which is very easy with these) they work/feel better - no skipping values at all!!

And I got a 100 of the beauties for only $24US (plus 15 shipping to Blighty)!! :D

Reeeeesult!

Peesh

dan

BTW: the auction has been relisted: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26211&item=2548904374

Hey.. those are the same ones I got!

I haven't tried removing the detent, I'll try that today. I can vouch for the quick shipping and good deal with the seller though. d2k ... Let me know if you find a good source of knobs for these babies. I only see one (ugly) one in my mouser catalog, and they are pretty expensive.

Justin

Edit.. I just removed the detent, and they are very smooth! Also, they are easy to mount on a pcb. They fit on a regular board, just by enlarging two holes.

Hey Justin...

The knobs i used for my LC are from Sifam - however I found these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2548702086

200 knobs with a choise of 5 colour caps for uk £9!!

They'll do for me :)

Best

Dan

PS: A group buy could be a possibility for these panasonic enocders if peeps are interested - they'd work out at well under a $1 a peice :P

Well there's no pleasin some people

If anyone else is unhappy with the encoders you got from me then I will refund your money

You know where to contact me

Hmmm, hope ur joshin ere but I wern't saying the ones u got were shit or that I was even unhappy with them...i've thanked you enough for the effort into gettin them in the first place...

This was just a good deal Ian - no need to be bitter :)

Peesh

Dan

PS: Urs will still be gettin used - don't u worry bout that :)

I'd like to jump in here...

1/4"/6mm - DType - one and the same...

They are not the same - I once tried to use the 6mm caps with a 1/4" shaft. Not a chance...

But you might be able to fix them using some kind of glue - though that might be a decision for life  ;)

Regards, ilmenator

I probably shouldn't have recommended that people pull apart and modify the encoders from Ian, as this is very difficult, and the button on one of mine dosen't work which is probably because of the modification???

but apart from that I am happy with the encoders from Ian, considering the excellent value for money. Mine are working well on my LC. (apart from the one with the dodgy button, but I can live with that!)

If anyone is concerned for the best quality encoders, then you can't go past the alps... very easy to remove the detent, they feel just like real pots!! (or buy non-detented version) only they are very expensive, unless you are friends with Nat!

as for 1/4" knobs on 6mm shaft, I just wrapped a small piece of electrical tape around the curved part of the shaft, before tightening the grubscrew, works fine, and its concentric!

Guest Flownezz

Steve and Ian...

Just wanted to add, i modded both the button and non button encoders succsessfully and they're workin' fine so I feel it was worth doing, just requires attention to detail ;).

Hi,

I'm one of the lucky guys that got these nice panasonic encoders ! 50pc for 12$ !!! Yooooouuuppppeeee !!!

I've received them yesterday and modded one of them without any big issues and the feel is excellent as pointed by d2k, even when not modded. However, as I'm not 100% sure about what I did (I removed a little plate), would it be possible that someone (dan?) posts pictures of its modification ???

Also, I don't know for you, but mine have an integrated switch, that allows to use the encoder as a push-button, still acting as en encoder. So I was wondering if it's possible to use this feature to assign to the encoder 2 variables, one when used in normal mode, another one while pushed...what do you think ????

Tks and if you can get those, go for it...

Relisted at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2550409211

Richard

Hey Richard...

Can't post any pics atm as my web space is down. However, you just open the encoder up, remove the main bit and the copper ring detent is on the top part (where the shaft is) under the encoder wheel...job done.

Ye, the inbuilt switch is a very nice bonus and of course can be used like any other switch - just connect as described in the din pdfs...

Nice...

Dan

Yeah, that's the same thing I did, just removed the little plate. I had the same idea as you about using the push button to choose a different value to change with the encoder. I don't think it would take too much code to check the button state when the encoder value changes. I don't know if I up to doing it though. At the price we got these encoders for, I'll just use one for each parameter and use the button by itself.

Justin

Hey goyousalukis !

I was considering that also....the only pb is I don't know which actions really make sense while pushing the encoder....???

I did it already for the navigation dial and the menu button...but appart this, no more idea....If you have any suggestions ?

Also I was wondering if anybody managed to find decent knobs for these guys but without pointer ? I'm looking for some soft touch one but they all come with pointer..(at least the one I found). :-/

Tks

Richard

Yeah Richard, I haven't thought of any. I just finished the basic SID step A, I want to make the Control surface like TK's, but I think that I will use the push buttons on the encoders to change the various items.

I think that the most usefull implementation of the push encoder, would be on a mixer type platform. You could have the encoder change Aux Send One normally and then Aux Send Two when Depressed. I guess it would make more room and save one hole.

I haven't found any cheap knobs yet. I have a bunch of .25" non D style knobs. I may try to modify them to fit, but they aren't very attractive. Coincedently, the jog knob from my Yamaha MU128 synth mod fits perfectly. I wish I could buy a bunch of these!

Justin

The push buttons are also very usefull if you want to visualize the value which is assigned to the knob without changing the value. Maybe I will build such a function into the MBSID application (although I'm using encoders without integrated knobs) because it improves the handling. Currently you have to change the layer to achieve this.

Another usecase is already support by this application: you can add 5 rotary encoders to StepA if you want to change the values which are currently visible in the menu (StepC users: change to the Assign layer in the ENV section). Integrated knobs would save 5 menu buttons

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thortsen,

That's a very good idea !!! I'll play with it.

Actually as I received too many of these encoders (50!!), I can afford to send some to you (let's say 10pcs): I've been lucky and you deserve some support.

If you want some more, I've seen that the auction is still hanging around on ebay.com.

Tks,

Richard

Hi,

maybe it´s possible to arrange an bulk order to gemany through another ucapps-user, living in the same country as the seller?

If anybody needs something from germany, just send me a pm

Sascha