Willing to give it a try

Nigel

Hi guy at first a was a little bit sceptic about building my own midibox SID because a don't have any skills envolving

circuitry but now that I've seen you are such a good online community I'm willing to give it a go.

So I ask if there are amongst you whom have got any pdf material they can send me so I can get started on my first project.

:tongue:

cheers Nigel

You can find most of the information available on the midibox SID on the wiki at http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midibox_sid

Once you have read that, if you have any specific questions we would be more than happy to answer them for you.

If you already have 1 SID chip, and can get 1 more, you might be interested in the sammichSID, a kit made by Wilba to make a 2 SID chip synth. http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=sammichSID

You can also find tons of info at http://www.ucapps.de/ All midiboxes are listed and explained there, but also each and every midibox module is described with building guides and everything you would want to know to get your own build going :)

On that site you also can find links to other important resources, like our wiki (also mentioned by Levon in the post above), shops where you can order parts for midiboxing, and a pretty sexy gallery that holds pictures of a lot of beautiful builds which members has built in the past (pictures of even newer builds can be found in the gallery section of this forum).

Ofocurse you can also find a lot of help if you search this forum. If you have a question, chances are very high that it has been asked before, and that way you can find answers much quicker instead of having to wait till someone answers your post.

It is a kind of 'unwritten rule' we practice inhere; to avoid forummembers ansering the same questions over and over again, we urge newcomers to read, read and then read a little more - and don't worry :) to start out with you will probably find all of the information to be confusing, but quickly you will get the hang of it.

I'm really happy that you decided to give it a shot :thumbsup: Welcome to the coolest community on the internet!

Also, consider building a MB6582 - it is a great package with the awesome power of up to 8xSID, it is not difficult to build and can be done in two weeks, if you have time in the evenings... there are also building tutorials with parts lists floating around ;-)

thanks for the great welkom...wich model do you recommend building for someone with

no building experience and only on C64 to dismantel (I have a second one but I want to keep it unharmed)

I'm on a tight budget to but if I buy part in small order I will manage

cheers :ahappy:

nILS is right, the MB6582 has quite some solder connections... the SammichSID comes to mind if you want an easy, well documented project suitable for two SIDs, which is available as a completely packaged kit.

And... it is sold by a hero ;-)

Edited by Hawkeye

MB-6582 was my first project too, didn't find it too hard. The sammichSID seems even easier though.

MB-6582:

pro:

Hands-on controls

8 SIDs

Well documented

con:

You have to source the parts yourself

Expensive

sammichSID:

pro:

Easy step by step documentation

Complete kit available

Not too expensive

con:

No knobs for live tweaking

Just 2 SIDs

I've checked out the sammichSID project and I think it is way to complex :frantics: to be my first project are there any other

DIY synth projects jou recommend.

My standards are it needs to be really cheap, easy and well documented so it's more kind of a learning project

before I start a bigger project

cheers Nigel :ahappy:

I've checked out the sammichsid project and I think it is way to complex :frantics: to be my first project are there any other

DIY synth projects jou recommend.

My standards are it needs to be really cheap, easy and well documented so it's more kind of a learning project

before I start a bigger project

cheers Nigel :ahappy:

It doesn't really get much easier than SammichSID

- Full kit

- Easy build, very well documented

- Cheap

Keep in mind that many people built a SammichSID, even beginners :thumbsup: The only alternative that would be any easier, would be to buy a MSSIAH for your C64.

probably the same level as the SammichSID (haven't built one) would be the Shruthi-1 at http://mutable-instruments.net

they are similar projects w/r/t very beginner friendly documentation (both noob proof), come with case and parts and low cost.

if you like to go smaller at the beginning you could search at www.electro-music.com for APC or cacophonator schematics. that's probably the cheapest way to start with some nice noise sounds and really low parts count.

note that the SammichSID is probably already the easiest way to put together a standalone SID synth if you compare the steps you'd have to go otherwise with the modular approach (which isn't that complicated either).

Edited by rosch