technobreath

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

For people who didn't know they existed, it looks like Bourns has LED backlit rotary encoders! The tri-colour version is PEL12T which is pretty cool. I believe these would work GREAT with the transparent knobs if they fit...

Attached is a screenshot of the datasheet showing what they look like.

post-8939-006305200 1295423683_thumb.png

Nice find! It looks like the PEL-12S are the ones without momentary switches (don't need them) but looking at the specification compared with these Alpha encoders from Mouser (confirmed working by others from ) shows that the footprint is quite a bit smaller than the Alpha encoders. This would probably mean that the legs/tabs would not fit the holes on the PCB? And where are the terminals for the LED? The other specifications pretty much match up though. I may be wrong - perhaps someone more knowledgeable about these things can confirm?

Edited by toadstool

They look pretty cool.

The problem though is that they are very expensive and that they must be ordered in multiples of 200, since they are not on stock (mouser)

Price is 3,71€ p.p + VAT = 4,41€ when ordering one package of 200. When ordering a bigger amount like 1000 price drops

to 2,97 + VAT = 3,53€ which still is a lot.

I doubt many people would spend that much on rotary encoders only, even though you need only 15.