Homemade Stereo Midibox (Couple questions)

Starfire

Ok so I soldered this up over the past week and it's working great!

But I do have a couple questions.

1. I have a 5v regulator dedicated to just running the SIDS and it gets pretty toasty, is that normal?

2. When a patch isn't playing I can still here the oscillators running in the background very faintly, again normal?

Thanks!!

Here are a couple pics...

StereoSid1.jpg

StereoSid2.jpg

congrats - looks like straight from back to the future - i wouldn´t recommend posting pics of 8580s to the public nowadays as there are reportedly crimes being commited to get them :-)

what voltage are you feeding the 7805? don´t know about the oscs, i don´t hear them in the mb6582...

1. A SID draws a max. of 100mA on the 5V rail, so other than an input voltage that's too high, there's no reason for the vreg to become hot. Why are you using an extra 7805 for the sid in the first place?

2. Yes, the VCAs don't necessarily completely cut off the signal

Was hoping to quiet some of the noise, which I did a bit (Not much to be worth it) my input is from a 12v regulated PS. The regulator running the PIC and LCD doesn't get hot, I find it odd that the other does, but everything works fine, I've checked voltages and they are all good also.

Bought a couple old C64s off ebay to get those, I have an order in for the MB-6582 so I need more too! Still need 2 more 8580s (Have 2 on there way to me), was going to do 6 8580s and 2 6581s

do you have any c64 psus lying around from your ebay orders? If you are concerned about the heat, you could "copy" the power supply section of the mb6582... you would only need one c64 power brick and one voltage regulator for that - but i am too much a hardware noob to explain you how it works exactly :-)

Edited by Hawkeye

I guess I was concerned about a short, but it wouldn't work then, at least it shouldn't. With my small aluminum piece on there it's not hot enough to burn you, but pretty toasty. I have to say I originally built with one sid, but adding the second for stereo effects increases the awesomeness of the SID sound 10 fold.

On a side note, does anyone know of C128s had 8580s in there or 6581s, or both?

they were both in the c128

tip - most versions of the c64-c with a "new keyboard" (look at the graphical character symbols on the keyboard to see the difference) have the 8580... but not all... i ripped 9 of them and still feel guilty about it ;-)

Yeah Thats where I got the 2 in that pic, but they have been thin on ebay lately. I did get one that had the right keyboard but hat a 6581 in it, I have 3 6581 so don't need anymore. I feel bad about it to but really, who's using C64s anymore besides for the sid chip like MSSIAH.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1. I have a 5v regulator dedicated to just running the SIDS and it gets pretty toasty, is that normal?

Sorry to jump in I just saw this thread....

You really want the SID on the same 5v rail as the rest of the logic.

Anytime you have a logic HI on the data lines driving the SID, you are tying the two different +5 power rails together.

This can end badly for the weakest part involved.

I'll greatly over simplify here and say you never want more than one source on a DC voltage rail, otherwise they get all competitive and fight each other. :)

The long answer: any differential between the two regulator outputs (different trace lengths/wiring or even a few mV variation between two from the same batch) will have the higher source of the two doing all it can to bring the output voltage up to spec, while the other sees the higher voltage at the output and gets bitey.

Depending on the regulator and circuit bitey might mean shutdown, oscillation, shutdown + draw like a big load, etc.

There are ways to design around the issue - but not without losing some regulation.

I agree with the boys.... good work!

Best regards

Tim