For Sale: MBSID / MB6582 format with 6 SIDs (3 types)

lucem

After I realized I did not use my MBSID for a long time, and the wish to renew my keyboard rig for my band work,

I've decided I'd sell it and make someone happy who will use it.

It's a fully built and functional unit in MB6582 format (meaning PacTec case, MB6582 mainboard,front panel etc).

It's got six SID chips mounted inside, in pairs of 6581, 8580 and 6582 with the corresponding filter capacitors mounted.

I always wanted to use the remaining two slots for SwinSID modules to have and emulated SID in there as well,

but I never got around to that (oh, the long build queue...).

I didn't see the need to mount a fan, so it's completely quiet; if one needs the feedback potentiometers mounted, he can

quickly do that himself, as I mounted connectors for those (the corresponding cables can come along with the box when asked).

I've paid more than 500 € in parts for it, so the minimum offer should not go below 450 €.

This is not to make a profit on it, but I don't want to lose a lot of money in it either.

I'd prefer to limit this sale to Europe, Germany would be even less painful (shipping with the Deutsche Post _is_ painful).

I don't have any picture right now to add to this post, but I will add them later, they still need to be uploaded.

I should have pictures online tomorrow. Since the last set of photos, I had exchanged the front panel and knobs,

so I think you'd want to see how it looks like now instead of a couple years ago.

pm me if you're interested; I'm not so much around on the forums as I used to be, but I still receive pms by mail,

so this is the quickest way to reach me.

Oh, I haven't mentioned yet, of course the original C64 wedge PSU will come with it (for 230V/50Hz).

Okay, thanks so far, I'll see if there'll be messages :)

Edited by lucem

As promised, here come some picture of the box

Two shots of the inside (old pictures, still valid)

24.jpg

30.jpg

And now for the outside (freshly taken)

sid_left.jpg

sid_right.jpg

sid_front.jpg

Since the display is not to be seen active in these pictures, it's yellow on black

(that's what it's sold as - looks a tad bit greenish in reality, but not as green as the standard displays).

Well, I don't think I'll change my mind. Things I rarely use usually stay that way... sadly enough.

The 450 is the absolute minimum, I wouldn't go below that. But on the other hand I know that that's already a lot of money,

that I can't really ask much more, and that I don't want to make a profit from the sale, I'd rather take a small loss in respect to what it cost me.

The difference is made up by the fun I had with it ;)

Sure it's sad to let it go, I've spent a lot of time building this thing (and other midibox projects), so there's a lot of me in it.

But I'd rather see someone put it to use than it to gather dust

Seems ridiculously cheap. :D I paid at least 700 for the parts and used 2 months to get the thing running. Est. value 20 000 € (lost sanity not calculated).

Building and getting sound out of the synth is worth more than 20 000€. I would never buy me a one. I bought x0xbox from this very same forum and have cold and professional relationship with it. With my MB6582 I have very passionate and intimate affair going on.

Nestle

Thanks for the kind words :)

No, the price tag is alright, I won't chrage more for it than I paid in parts (700 is tempting, but it's the damn midibox spirit).

I had managed to get some of the parts quite cheap back in the day, so this kept it (comparably) low for me in parts.

Nevertheless, I love this box, but with the kind of music I make (good old metal), the SID sound doesn't play well with the guitars,

and it's monophony is a real limit. So I hardly find use for it in my music, and as a consequence, I better let go of it than have it gather dust.

As much as it hurts (don't know how many hours I spent working on the build), it's better this way.

wait, there was a metal band using SIDs? can't remember it just now, though :)

by how I remember - they managed to match sid and guitars quite well.

not that I liked the band, just underlining the VAST possibilities of sid -chip. :puppeh:

Nestle

wait, there was a metal band using SIDs? can't remember it just now, though :)

by how I remember - they managed to match sid and guitars quite well.

i don't know that band, but i remember from some song or demo sound in the songs section where it was used for a solo, that it sounded like a guitar solo, although like a synth at the same time (not easy to explain).

it has a really dirty sound!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit puzzled that the guy who bought the box is now offering it on the sequencer.de forums...

It obviously took him only a few days to go on and decide to sell it again, despite communication

suggesting that he really was looking forward to having it.

Well, so much for me on this; I was made aware of it by another forum reader and thought I'd

say my two sentences about it.

Due to the fact that he now wants 200 € more than I took, that's a possible licence violation

and I consider discussing that in private with TK to see about that; one can obviously never fully

prevent such things to happen, but in case I decide to sell anything midibox related, and be it spare sparts,

in the future, I guess I'll only do that to trusted people I personally know or that have a well-known reputation.

I can only encourage everyone else considering sales to do the same.

Yeah. There're a lot of clowns out there. Don't think in any way that this reflects on anything you did. You made a generous offer to the midibox community cause you knew someone would appreciate and care for it. It's a shame that not everyone shares your character and generosity. The world would be a better place. :flowers:

Kind words, thanks.

I'm not worried this would fall back on me, though - my stand on this should be clear to everyone who spent a little time on the forums.

I just hope there's a lesson in here for others, that's all.

how could this fall back on you?

in my opinion this sales clerk traveller has fooled himself, regarding the gain of say 200 bucks a higher value than having such a device for use.

(which has a far higher value for the user imo, anyway)

my guess is that a person who really appreciates the project (not just the synth), would probably build their own anyway, or already has. maybe difficult to judge, when someone has just signed up.

i mean, it's still better to expect a person to be honest with the danger of being wrong, than mistrusting everyone. you don't lose your positive way of thinking that way.

sorry, but no one! of you kids know the real truth ( also lucem, why didn`t you answer my questions ? )

here are the real facts :

- bought the midibox sid from lucem here ( 450,- euro + shipping )

- got it ( in a very bad package, i was lucky that the midibox was still alive ), the sound dissapoint me ( my sammichSID sounds 3 times better than the midibox , don`t know why ?)

- contact lucem - no answer ...

- decide to let the midibox go for a exchange against a monomachine so i add it in the synthesizer-forum. no profit thought !!!!

- no one wants to change the midibox against the monomachine, but i got 3 offers for a "buy now price" ( in time i become an offer for a monomachine from another one )

- i trade the box for someone from london for 600,- euro include shipping !

- i payed all shipping costs and carrying from germany to the uk ( round abaout 40,- euros )

- i made a new , secury package and drive the packet to the next town ( 50km forward and backward )

you see : a "very big profit" for me and waste of time...

we all have so much real problems and i don`t understand this discussion about a few euros more or less. everyone decide on his own. its absolutly boring.

the next days i will get the monomachine ( 750,- euro , too much ? what a shame to the seller ....)

i didn`t want profit, i didn`t get profit ! thats all.