square wave

flake-

I know many FM dedicated synthesizers from yamaha / korg doesnt have square waves.

yamaha v50, DX11, YS200, TX81Z, the Korg z3 guitar, ... wich uses (YM2414 FM chip) has dual LFO, eight channels and was also more expensive.

but doesnt have sqare waveforms.

how doest it sound? really square at the oscilloscope? tell me about please

I know many FM dedicated synthesizers from yamaha / korg doesnt have square waves.

yamaha v50, DX11, YS200, TX81Z, the Korg z3 guitar, ... wich uses (YM2414 FM chip) has dual LFO, eight channels and was also more expensive.

but doesnt have sqare waveforms.

how doest it sound? really square at the oscilloscope? tell me about please

Pulse wave

• 2 weeks later...

The lack of square waves in FM is related to the fact that those two don't match so well...If you modulate a sine with a perfect square, you get two sines at two frequencies, wich is rather boring. The Opl3, wich is used in the MBFM, has square waves though. I'll get a scope view for you, but please tell me: why do you need/want a perfect square?

Essentially none of the classic synth create what would look like a perfect pulse wave. It's typically a lot more of what you see in Imps first pic. Is there any reason for your craving for a graphically perfect pluse wave?

There was a brief discussion about this over at the Shruthi place... Olivier mentioned that your naive "graphically nice" square wave - from your first "Arduino synth" would end up sounding like shit due to the very sharp transients as soon as you'd transpose it up a bit. Obviously you'd need to use bandwidth-limited syntesis as you'll reach higher octaves. Both the shit-sounding square and a BW-limited version were played and contrasted. The latter ended up looking more like such poor synths as the Minimoog, Arp 2600, Korg MS20, Roland system 100, Sh-101, TB-303, SH-x, Jupiters, Yamaha CS etc. But maybe our ears are deceiving us?

FM-based synthesis won´t be able to achieve a "perfect" square wave, as it just layers sine waves of different frequencies, and you´d need a lot of layers/operators to get close to a perfect square wave.

It always "overshoots" at the corner points, exactly like in Imp´s posted pictures. Also, agreed to j, a perfect square wave without any postprocessing/fx may sound a bit harsh, it is just unnatural :)