88 keys piano midification

Wapata

Hi everyone !

My father in law wish to make his hold piano (who sound like a sick dog) a midi one... to make it playable by my futur kid.

At first i've re-take a look at this: http://www.ucapps.de/index.html?page=midibox_kb.html but it's up to 64 keys. 

So, just to be sure, for me, it seem that i need a CORE_STM32F4 Module (nude should be okay), a DIO_MATRIX Module (for now i dont see how many...), 2 momentary button per key and this http://www.samplerbox.org/. (no screen, minimum buttons).

I'll be able to use the 88 keys with velocity, 2 pedals, 2 program buttons, midi in, midi out, with midi port and usb. And may be a relay for switching on and off the sound amplifier).

I am good with this, or there is simpler for this particular project ?

Thanks for reading, maybe answering and... for being here !

ps: I know ucapps and midibox for years... i'm happy to finally use this work !

Hi,

yes, MIDIbox KB is the most simple project for this purpose.

Note that it supports two keyboards. For 88 keys just use the first 64 keys as keyboard #1, and the remaining keys as keyboard #2 transposed by 64 semitones.

You will need two MBHP_DIO_MATRIX modules

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Nice !

That was the part that i did not understand. Because I'm not a MIOS user yet I suppose.

For a project like this one, do you think the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 PCB is needed, or the LPCXPRESSO nude (like ''Minimal Circuit to get USB running'') is enought ? The hardware plateforme is not as easy to get than the Lpcxpresso (or did i miss a link for a kit somewhere ?).

Thanks for the answer ! 

The MBHP_CORE_LPC17 design is pretty much outdated, I would recommend to use a MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 instead.

It shouldn't be so difficult to connect a MBHP_DIO_MATRIX module to the pins which belong to J8/J9 even without the line driver, but if you are not an electronic expert, it's safer to use a PCB - both (MBHP_DIO_MATRIX and MBHP_CORE_STM32F4) are available in John's shop: https://modularaddict.com/manufacturer/midibox

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thank you so much for this link ! I was note able to find a shop with theses products ! I've been thinking that it was normal due to the open-source way (i hope it's an understable sentence)... so thanks.

So. Let's go for MBHP_CORE_STM32F4, two MBHP_DIO_MATRIX ! I've midi ports in stock maybe USB B female port too, pots for the pedals, and i'm searching the 88x2 buttons right now (with no 'clic' sound) to put them in the way of the piano's hammer. The raspberry expander is working great (and i have to find western piano sounds for the father in law), a chines 20Wrms amps is there... Just need some good old speakers now.

Let's find the rest of the onboards electronic parts now ! Oh... and restock some meters of electric cable too.

Please keep helping so great, it's very cool :happy:

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that you will not achieve a result that comforts you or your father in law with normal switches.
There are other systems out on the market (PNOScan from QRS) which are perfect for this purpose because they use some kind of infrared-sensors and work without mechanical contact to the keys. This makes it very easy to set the deadbands and the correct brake / make points per key.

Maybe you should save work and time and go with this system even if it's not that cheap (about 1200€ or so).

Thanks for the answer. I have bought all but the switches now.

I have to make prototypes with what I have to see what can or can't work. The double IR switches are on the list. As well as classic micro-contact and round 7mm. Looking for quiet action. But even at 1 euro per switch, I'm far away from a 1200 euros keyboard.

The ir switches may be good but will need power.. but it sound the best solution for me IF we find a place to put them easily.

... Do 1n4002 diode behind the switches would work ? I know the it's more for power than logic.. but I have something like 1000 pcs at home and no other.

By the way, I just see that I didn't mention a thing: the piano wires who doesn't sound good will be definitely cut ! The piano will be midi only. 

Here we go !

18h20, the iron is warming. 20h00, it's cooling down.

Thanks to Modular Addict and TK (and this page: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_core_stm32f4.html ) I have to say it: it's SUPER easy to make !

Next, i will make the DIO_MATRIX and MIDI_IO boards.

TK. ... You make a really good job, you're cool enough to share it with us... So thanks again !

IMG_20171011_181423.jpg

IMG_20171011_200121.jpg

Woops. I've got questions: why did my 10p ribbon cable are not all the same ? If I make exactly like the pictures of DIO_MATRIX and MIDI I/O, the red line doesn't go to the same pin at all. It's reversed for the matrix one and pin to pin for the dio one. Is there a trick ? Or did I miss something big ?

Thanks for the help !

EDIT: oh... and don't do like me, it's not because 8 connectors are oriented the same way than the two lasts ones are too. J10B and J11E...  And as it's hard to de-solder a 10 pins connector, you should think to turn the plastic part only.

Edited by Wapata

• 2 years later...

Long story short :   father in law did never talk again about the project. So I went to make a midification of my old Yamaha gear (Yamaha DSR-2000) but then the keyboard fall and is broken.

Now, we are a year later and i come back to midi keyboard. A 4 octaves one. And it's working ! And right now, i see some issue... like... The screen... it take me so much time to have it working and i did see that it's useless ! haha. And I can have 4 analog input, that's great, but not more than 4. And worst, i will never have "octave up/down" button because I can't have button.

So i should go to MidiBox_NG instead of MidiBox_KB, even for a simple nude keyboard. In fact, the only -really- missing things are the octave up/down, and being able to change the USB-Midi settings. Like I would like to have only two USB ports, one dedicated for the keyboard (with midi IN and OUT 1) and the other dedicated for Midi In and Out 2.

Well. Just to say : still alive !

large.IMG_20191106_180021_4_.jpg.809fd04

In the general idea of Midibox_KB : should we use it only as an interface from the keyboard to midi, and then make a separate Midibox_NG project to take care of all the other things (like buton and led ) ? If so, what should be the connection between the two devices ?

Hi, I didn't build one, but I try to help you.

"Please note: the same keyboard driver is also available in MIDIbox NG. If you are searching for more capabilities (e.g. integrated controller with many pots, encoders, buttons, leds), consider to use the MBNG firmware instead of MBKB."

So it depends on what you want to do or better how much controls you want.

Take a look at the dinx and dout modules pages, they are the basic input output modules for the cores.