Where can I download modern pickit programming software fpr windows

Hi where can I download the pickitgui for windows, the link on ucapps.de takes me to a page with to many options to look through, I have the pickit 3.5. Also does anyone have a download link for pkcmd2 for linux? Thanks

Edited by Al99

this is the first time I am burning a hex file onto a pic18f4685, I have pickit 3.5 and an expansion board for the pic18f4685 i connected it to the far right of the connector at the bottom of the pickit 3.5 the expansion board has 5 pins the pickit3. 5. 6pins. There are 4 settings for the jumpers on the expansion board pic10FX, DIP8/14 DIP 18/20, 16F57, and DIO40/28 I have mine set for PIC10FX, when trying to connect to the burner with chip connected in the expansion board I get the message

"CAUTION check that the device selected in mplab ipe(pic18f4685> is the same one that is physically attached to the debug tool.

Selecting a 5v device when a 3.3 v device is connected can result in damage to the device when the debugger checks the device id

Do you wish to continue.? "

I select yes

Then click connect.

In red I get writing" Target device was not found (could not detect target voltage vdd). You must connect a target device to use PICkit 3.“

In mplab ipe i have family set to Advanced 8-bit MCUs (PIC18), device set to PIC 18F4685 and tool sets automatically to pickit3 s. No: BUR195068601

Please can someone direct me as how to establish a connetion to the pic18f4685 via the pickit 3.5.

Many thanks

The jumper settings you chose on the expansion board pictured should follow the recommendations printed on the bottom of the board for a DIP 40 IC (e.g. a dual inline package chip, with 40 pins)

> J1 = A

> J2 = pins 2 & 3

> J3 = pins 2 & 3

IMG_1048.thumb.jpeg.2d40bc7f208981400b4383da10fc7505.jpeg

IMG_1049.thumb.jpg.b053fb8157d82b1c1e992633d5a56e43.jpg

Hi I tried this and I am still getting the 3.3v error message and the "target device not found(could not detect target voltage vdd) you must connect a target device to use pickit 3" nessage, do you think my pickit3. 5 is damaged or mplad ipe v5. 45 is not compatible with pickit 3.5? Thanks.

I haven't used PickIt for MIDIBOX stuff but as I recall, if you're getting that error it may be because you need to elect to power the chip using power from the Pickit itself (as in the chip is not being powered externally). If it's for the CORE8 platform, it should be a 5V PIC. It takes some fiddling to get it working I found when I've had to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am having success building cores and connecting the lcd(I have built 2) and having the black boxes appear on the bottom row of the lcd but when I program a chip with mplab ide or mbhp burner and power up the core witb mios studio connected it says the core is not responding. Please dwestbury can I send you a pic 18f4685 in the post to flash so I can work out if it is the pics that are the problem or my soldering and midi leads on the core, thanks.

On 1/4/2021 at 9:01 AM, Al99 said:

Please @dwestbury can I send you a pic 18f4685 in the post to flash so I can work out if it is the pics that are the problem or my soldering and midi leads on the core, thanks.

Depending on where you're located, the back and forth shipping costs, combined with the costs of cores themselves, could make the whole process untenable. 

It might be cheaper for you if I simply create four fully functional cores, with:

> Bootloader v1.2b

> MIOS 1.9H

> MB-6582 Firmware (e.g., setup_mb6582.hex)

> Individual device IDs (e.g., 0 - 3)

This would cost about $50 USD + shipping (in a CORSTAT antistatic box).

7IB0mvB.thumb.jpg.77d55b2702639cd8a7a292bebe6ce521.jpg

Cheers,

-Darrell

Edited by dwestbury

I tried programming a chip with mplab ide 5.45 as i tried with mbhp burner but the ic socket broke (i am finding that the circular is much better than the flat so I am replacing) and the hex file downloaded from the pic has the same beginning and and end lines as the hex file but different inbetween, why am I so unsuccesful at getting mios studio to see the core, I built 2 cores and programmed chips with mplab ide and mbhp burner but mios always says no response from core, why am i so unsuccessful, is it my soldering, my midi lead or my chip programming? I hoped if i just follow instructions and schematics everything turn out just fine but not so, why?

Just now, Al99 said:

I tried programming a chip with mplab ide 5.45 as i tried with mbhp burner but the ic socket broke (i am finding that the circular is much better than the flat so I am replacing) and the hex file downloaded from the pic has the same beginning and and end lines as the hex file but different inbetween, why am I so unsuccesful at getting mios studio to see the core, I built 2 cores and programmed chips with mplab ide and mbhp burner but mios always says no response from core, why am i so unsuccessful, is it my soldering, my midi lead or my chip programming? I hoped if i just follow instructions and schematics everything turn out just fine but not so, why?

This process can be very frustrating when you're trying to figure out where a particular problem is.

My own posts in these forums can certainly attest to that. I spent days and days struggling through various dead ends, until I finally found a process that ultimately worked well for me (e.g., the document linked above).

Along the way, I realized that the MIDI interface I was trying to use (a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 Mk2) was not properly passing SysEx messages to my PICs via MIOS. This was one of my first issues. Unfortunately, I had completely destroyed my PIC and base PCB with all my removing and de-soldering and part replacements, while I worked that out. Now I have an 'iConnectivity MIO XL', which is one of the MIDI interfaces on the MIDIBox Interface Whitelist (http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=midi_interface_whitelist).

Other issues I encountered included some mismatched capacitors on the crystal above my PIC, which made communication synch to MIOS impossible. I also had at least one bad PIC that accepted the bootloader from MPLAB, but wouldn't function at all in my MB-6582. 

In my case, taking some time away from the issue to clear my head was key, combined with some very useful feedback and patient input from the community in these forums.