I'm such a chicken...

Lo-Fi_Massahkah

About 8 months ago, I bought an old C64 and decided to build a full fledged MidiBox SID. I got the parts to go for full UI, knobs, LCD, LEDs - the works... Then I bailed. I got cold feet. I've never soldered anything but the piezzos of my home made midi drum trig kit. Everything is now tucked away under my desk...

The other day I got some inspiration on the Elektron-users forum where they were talking about the MidiBox SID compared to the SIDstation. And I figured I should start out small with Step A. I'm still a bit terrified, though. Where the hell do I start?

Anyway - I've come so far as to decide I don't want an external powersupply (my C64 didn't come with one), as I'd rather have everything in one box for convenience. How do I solve that pertaining to the two different voltages needed.

Thanks for your help and time. Please get me started on this project...

Cheers,

Mikael

Dude, you've already got all the parts? I believe this and the money that you have to spend for all the buttons, encoders,... is one of the bigger problems for most MIDIboxers! :D

Anyways, you probably want to do a lot of reading first. Read thourgh all of the information on uCapps.de first. When you think you understand what you're about to do then go ahead and solder the boards. Test and if needed troubleshoot them. The Step A control surface is rather simple to build so there shouldn't be any major difficulties. If you do run into some - post in this forum and you'll most likely get some answers.

Powersupply: I just bought two transformers from Conrad (~5EUR each) which will transform 230V~ to 15V~ for the SIDs and 9V~ for the Cores. Solder them to some board, do some wiring - done. This is a cheap and easy way to go. You want to make sure you've got some good isolation though when working with 230V! And a fuse is a must, too. A 1.5A fast blowing one will do.

This is about as much as I can tell you besides: You're the one who has to get started. If we get you started you're probably not going to finish the project... ;)

>Anyway - I've come so far as to decide I don't want an external powersupply (my C64 didn't come with one), as I'd rather have >everything in one box for convenience. How do I solve that pertaining to the two different voltages needed.

For an internal psu you should calculate 2 transformers (14V / 5V  or 14V / 9V maybe), capacitors, diodes, regulators... and a little bit of time (TAKE CARE WITH HIGH VOLTAGE AND CURRENT)... or buy readily built multivoltage psu as needed...or cannibalize broken electronics...or,or,or... :'( (i hear the chicken say: "so many options and possibilities...i can't decide...i'll never make it..."  )

;)

If you are a chicken: Do yourself a favour and stay external! Stay with Ebay...invest the 1$+shipping for a c64psu after all the stuff u bought already...

I you just wanna test and want to get rid of the chicken behaviour: test the SID A with a 9-12V *any* psu (external) to tease yourself with the taste of the SID before deciding to make it really GOOD sounding, giving it a good psu and knobs and LEDs etc. to have the real fun.

(How such an internal psu with 2 voltages can be realized in general can be seen in Thorsten's MBFM synth implementation...look at the pics he posted from it's "inner life".)

that may be a starting point to get a first success... remember it's just the first 2 little pcbs... after that you can't await to give him all the other options...

Don't be afraid, begin with soldering the core pcb. Go chicken, go!!!  ;D

Heat your soldering iron

Martin

PS: i saw somebody posted before me...nevertheless: BEGIN WITH SOLDERING THE CORE!

to be more clearly:

you are in fear of a failureTM, because you wanted the really big thing and are a perfectionist!

(like me!)

after eight months you are at the point to say: OK, i need a smaller step first to get more self confident!

you are in the right way!

the first task to make your fear go away and let the fun come in is:

BEGIN

solder the core and get it running.

PS: the psu is not really the problem, it's an excuse for not beginning...

The only place where to go now after 8 months is: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_core.html

Search for:

mbhp_core_1.jpg

It's very easy!

And don't think u are the only one with great dead projects in the drawer...

I hope this helps...you and all the other silent readers... ;)

We all start as chickens. I managed to blow a fuse in my c64 psu yesterday ( and i studied electrotechnics for 4 years...)!

Martin

Then I bailed. I got cold feet. I've never soldered anything but the piezzos of my home made midi drum trig kit. Everything is now tucked away under my desk...

Soldered PIEZOs? If those had wires coming out, your ok.. But if you had to solder wires to the disc - man, you're a guru already :D

Where the hell do I start?

Read some more and get your boards and start soldering ;=)

Anyway - I've come so far as to decide I don't want an external powersupply (my C64 didn't come with one), as I'd rather have everything in one box for convenience. How do I solve that pertaining to the two different voltages needed.

I'd rather see you with a C64 PSU fitted inside your box. Really. This is the place, where you are allowed to play chicken!! MAINs can kill you. Please - Don't use unshielded mains transformer inside your MB, if you're not entitled to do so. I'm not.

Bye, ya - Moebius

• 3 months later...