Motorfaders?

Stigmata

Guest the_Swede

The ALPS have touch-detection sensors, the panasonics do not. In addition, I presume the action differs somewhat. I have heard people complaining about the lack of smoothness of the panasonic. Try to get more opinions.

The MIDIbox MF controls the motors with a pulse wide modulated voltage. Not all parameters like pulsewidth, duty cycle, acceleration are adjustable yet, I choosed these values based on my observations with the Alps faders. I will add a calibration menu for these parameters when I find the time...

Touch Sensor circuit: see http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_din_touchsensors.pdf

Alps faders are coming with an additional pin for a direct connection between the fader knob and the capacitive input circuit.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Panasonic faders.

I took apart one of the panasonic faders.  I found that there's and extra track running alongside the pair of tracks that make the pot work.  It has a hole along one end for a single pin to stick through.---------------0

Anyone think there's a way to use this to make the fader touch sensitive?

If not, what is the extra track for?

btw, nothing comes in contact with the track right now.  would probably have to fuse something to the part of the slider that holds the slider knob.

Basta,

some motorfaders have an extra resistor track for use on automated analogue mixing consoles, where the resistor forms part of the signal path. But this creates the problem where the electrical noise from the motor gets into the signal. That's why VCA's are usually used, where a control voltage is referenced from the slider position, which contols the Voltage Controlled Amplifier for that slider. I think this is how the automation system knows the position of the fader too.

cos on some consoles you can turn the VCA's on and off.

well at least I think I know what I'm talking about, someone correct me if I'm wrong!

bye from Steve ;D

• 1 month later...

Hey Basta...

Any joy from the extra track on the panasonic faders for touch sensor capatiblity? I had a look at the datasheets for the faders and they have one version that has touch detection ;) so, as T also stated:

My ALPS faders only have such an extra track --- for the touch detection

It might work ;p

Best

Dan

Guest funkmasterkola

I believe taht you guys got price quotation for the motorfaders. Some one told that Penny+Giles used in original mackie stuff is expensive, and I can't find price anywhere. Could you type how much [apr.] is the cost of panasonic vs alps vs p+g?

Theres the datasheet btw, looking at it again - I think we have the right faders for touchsensor input!

Man I wish..... ;)

I just put the meter to a Panasonic fader (just to be sure) and none of the pins have continuity to the fader post.  It is one from the Allcorp batch.  

Later!

SmashTV