Your favorite effects

DRÄPPEL

I'm targeting some UAD EQ's. I'd ultimately like to get a layout right in front of me which mirrors the look of the onscreen parameters and maybe even specific pot labels. I also would like the most used Nuendo buttons for the project items in convenient places. I'm trying to keep everything as "practical" as I can. (not as into VSTi or effect mapping here)

-George

I found the diy fx´s at www.tonepad.com ... a few weeks ago....

just cool stuff :o

I´ve build three since I found the site and I love them!!! ;D

pwx

I recently found that site too and I'm planing to build one of those effects as my first project since they seem quite simple. I'm not brave enough to make my own pcbs yet so I think i'll be using a stripboard. Which effects have you built and how do they sound?

I just ran into the Tonepad site a few days ago, odd coincidence. I've ordered the parts to build a TS-808 Tube Screamer distortion pedal for my little brother. I'm no guitarist, so I don't know how good it will be, but the list price on the net for one is like $150-$200. Pretty easy to build from the looks of it.

• 1 month later...

ive buit a friend a Pro Co rat, sounded good, fairly similar to the originals, though the original that i reverse enginered sounded a bit muddy compared to the one i build.

my fav effects( i play guitar) are digital delay, analoge delay , reverb and a parametric EQ, i just have a crapy zoom 2020 multi effects, as well as an ibanez mu-405 (i think, dont recall) and i also use a volume pedal a fair bit, and of course i use distortion.

:D I * L O V E * my Kaoss Pad 2!!!  :D

Much better than the first Kaoss Pad and just *FUNFUNFUN*! And: No matter for what you use it (Studio, Live, DJing ...) it´s just one of the best pieces you can get (my opinion). You even can only use it as a 2-channel MIDI controller (e.g. Cutoff on X-axis, Resonance on Y-Axis, some TB-303 clone software behind it and -> GO!) and it´s still fun as hell.

hi!

@DRÄPPEL: I´ve built MXR-Distortion/ DOD 250 Overdrive / Purplepeaker and the ReboteDelay2....

All work fine.... MXR and DOD 250 are modified with diode-switches,.. so I´m able to select different diode-types ;D

...and yes, they´re really easy to build and sound is also fat :D

Greets, pwx

Hi,

I'm builing th a voltage controlled delay based on the PT2399 delay ic (can get them @ small bear electronics). I'm using scott bernardi's design:

http://home.comcast.net/~sbernardi/elec/og2/og3_echo.html

it has voltagecontrol for delay time and feedback ;D .I'm making an eagle board file for a pcb which is going to be bigger and have more bridges than neccesary since this is my first eagle attempt... i'm not going to finish it at least for2 weeks but if it works i can of course share it with anyone interested.

cheers, marcel

BTW this is a digital delay chip but the sound can be similar to a ibanez ad-80 analog delay according to this (other) construction article

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/pt80techinfo.pdf

hmm i'm looking for real analogue... how come there aren't any DIY projects for those? i'm pretty sure analogue chips can still be fairly easily found...

hi; the bucketbrigade ic's (BBD's; MN3xxx and SADxxxx series) where most analog delays are based on are hard to find or bloody expensive. There are some projects with these chips on the web though.

I did see some new ic's that are clones of the old BBD ic's (@smallbear), perhaps this is the right starting point for you.

As for the analog/digital thing; im a complete analog freak so i know what you mean, but sometimes the difference between the two can be hard to hear.

I (want to) believe the guy who compares the sound of the pt2399 to the ad-80, which is in my opinion a really fat analog delay.

cheers, marcel

The most BBDs are hard to find - but there is still plenty of old MN3207s floating around.

And Shanghai Belling makes BL3207s and BL3208s (and probably had MN3207s made for http://www.visualsound.net/bbd.htm.. just marked as MN--)

I'd guess those are made with original Panasonic prosess.. licenced or stolen ;)

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/ has a analog delay project: AD-3208.

Bye, Moebius

Byt the way, Marcel - Don't you say you got those MN3011s...

guys i just found this:

http://www.itn.liu.se/~nikro/diy/delay/index.html

and it's got the pcbs too.

about digita vs. analogue - yesterday i was playing a bit with my zoom studio 1204 (the cheapest multieffect ever ;) and i was thinking like this - okay, the delay is just a delay. but the analogue delay sound is so characteristical because of the specific decay/slight resonating feedback... so i used my zoom just for delaying the signal and connected its output back to its input but via an old analogue param EQ.

MAN this combo sounds NICE!!! the best thing is that the EQ has 2 bands (low - 40-960 and high - 0.5k-16k) and you can use one band for general attenuation of  the signal (let's say the low end) and the other one for spacy out-of-control growing feedbacks :D

just don't try this while very stoned cause once i almost blew my whole gear when i couldn't get my head back together to get the feedback back under control ;)

still the best thing is a tape delay - when you slow it down you can hear the loop pitching down! but i heard that on my friend's delay also and i'm pretty sure it wasn't a tape one.

• 5 weeks later...

hi!

@DRÄPPEL: I´ve built MXR-Distortion/ DOD 250 Overdrive / Purplepeaker and the ReboteDelay2....

All work fine.... MXR and DOD 250 are modified with diode-switches,.. so I´m able to select different diode-types ;D

...and yes, they´re really easy to build and sound is also fat :D

Greets, pwx

I'm going to build the ReboteDelay too but I think I will wait for them to make a pcb of the 2.5 version, also I'm hoping there is some relatively easy way of adding cv to these effect units so I can build some sort of modularish effect box with a couple of effects and a few lfos

I'm going to build the ReboteDelay too but I think I will wait for them to make a pcb of the 2.5 version, also I'm hoping there is some relatively easy way of adding cv to these effect units so I can build some sort of modularish effect box with a couple of effects and a few lfos

Sounds good,...... on wich shematics are the lfo´s based on?

I´ll build 2.5 version, too.. ;D

....seen a few mods (add cv..) for those fx´s somwhere in the www.,.. but I can´t remember at wich site it was :-\

If I find them, I´ll post the link...

Greets,

pwx

Sounds good,...... on wich shematics are the lfo´s based on?

I´ll build 2.5 version, too.. ;D

....seen a few mods (add cv..) for those fx´s somwhere in the www.,.. but I can´t remember at wich site it was :-\

If I find them, I´ll post the link...

Greets,

pwx

I'm not quite sure yet, thinking of going with a very simple lfo design so I can squeeze in as many as possible. I'm just about to start building a MBFM so I still have some time to think about it.

I'm aso not sure which effects I'm going to use. So far I'm thinking ReboteDelay,  Small clone chorus, some kind of distortion ( it's very hard to pick one, they have alot of them at tonepad and there are even more if you look at other places too) and a compressor, although I'm not sure if the compressors made for guitars will sound good with synth sounds.

If you find the cvmod that would be great!  In the meantime I will look around for it too.

• 4 weeks later...