MIOS V1.0

TK.

The first MIOS release and a nice example application (MIDIbox LC) can now be found in the Concepts->MIOS->Download section.

For all people who already purchased a PIC18F452: good luck! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: a lot of additional documentation for MIOS itself and the MBLC wiring has not been written yet - so take it like a text adventure ;-)

Man... I've been lurking my way around here, ordering parts, and studying circuit diagrams, waiting patiently for the day I would see this post  :)

I just had to take this opportunity to state my complete awe and amazement in your work Thorsten - not to mention the selfless sharing of it. You truly are, as we say in .au, a bloody bonza bloke!  ;D

All the best mate... I'm sure we will see each other around here, as no sooner had I read this post, than I had received my new PIC18F452's in the mail (3 of the little beauties! woooo)

Thorsten.... YOU RULE!!!

Amazing news Thorsten    :)

I will be testing MIOS on my upcoming LC the only think is there are going to be a lot of questions. ;)

But for the time I have to deside the layout of the box >:(

And of course I need those 18F from Microchip (for free ;D) (stryd_one <-you are very lucky in the timming, I have to work on that)

Take care man

Dimitris

Sweeet..  ;D now I can think about putting these three 18F452's to work, they've been sitting here lazily for 4 months!!  ;D

I think I'll drop the my original MB64 idea and go with a MIOS-Sid with perhaps some simple step sequencer. My question is though, if I want 4 sids for my MIOS sid, will I need 4x18F452's, or would 1x18F452 + 3x16F877, or  a mix of both be adequate?

bonza,

k

Guest Johannes
I'd like to know if any type of PIC18F452 is suitable for

this project. I mean is there a specific model to get ? Like PIC16F877 - 20P ...

I think you need the PIC18F452-I/P model.

Thorsten, great work!!!  :D ;D :D

Now I only have to find some time to realize my project and start playing around with the code...

greetz

Johannes

Hi Kieran,

I think I'll drop the my original MB64 idea and go with a MIOS-Sid with perhaps some simple step sequencer. My question is though, if I want 4 sids for my MIOS sid, will I need 4x18F452's, or would 1x18F452 + 3x16F877, or  a mix of both be adequate?k

one 18F452 as master device, and the 16F877s as slave devices will work. In fact the control surface will control the SIDs similary like the Java GUI, therefore you don"t have to expect compatibility problems. :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Kieran,

one 18F452 as master device, and the 16F877s as slave devices will work. In fact the control surface will control the SIDs similary like the Java GUI, therefore you don"t have to expect compatibility problems. :)

Great!

The only thing that could make this even better is a small simple 1 octave keyboard..    ;D  Don't tell me you're going to pull that "rabbit out of the hat" when you release the control surface!!  ;)

I'm going to need some fancy power circuits sorted out to feed multiple sids different voltages (6581 vs 8580) + the cores!!

kieran

Hi Kieran,

a keyboard can already by realized with MIOS, since up to 128 buttons are supported... however, a velocity handler could be difficult... ;-)

Since the SID slave core itself doesn't require that much current (about 50 mA), you can supply it with higher voltages. Up to 15V are ok. The overall current load of one SID and CORE module pair is ca. 200 mA

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Kieran,

a keyboard can already by realized with MIOS, since up to 128 buttons are supported... however, a velocity handler could be difficult... ;-)

Since the SID slave core itself doesn't require that much current (about 50 mA), you can supply it with higher voltages. Up to 15V are ok. The overall current load of one SID and CORE module pair is ca. 200 mA

Hmmm.. velocity for 12 buttons of the keyboard (1 octave) that would be great. Aftertouch??  ;) Those would tie into the mod matrix OK, atleast! :)

Power:

Still, its getting close to 1A total once you take into account all the SID+core slaves as well as the master.

Perhaps a small powerboard PCB might be worthwhile sorting out which can also have headers to supply each MIOS sid board the right currents with a simple single input (eg. 12V 1A) to the PCB powerboard itself. I'll have a think about it further..

;D

kieran