Multi-Input Touch Screen

thefRont

Yeah, already seen that. ;D ;D ;D

Rocking peace of ****. Hope this will make it´s way to homes fast enough. The only thing I don´t like is the fact that it actually only works with projection from behind. This is a handicap, but I hope they will overcome this point fast. Anyhow: STARTREK IS NOT TO FAR AWAY! :D :D :D 8)

After viewing this video, I'd like to know the opinions of the members of the community. Do you think hrdware controllers will disappear?

No really, they will co-exist with such touchscreens

Here the proof:

1.jpg

(a picture from the future ;-))

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone read up on this much?

A source I'll leave undisclosed informed me that the hardware that runs this thing is easy. The hard part is the motion tracking programming. My source also said they were trying to prototype for somewhere under $500. They're not developing audio or controller apps, but I wouldn't think it would be too dificult to port Max/MSP, PD, or even a custom MIDI software app for an interface.  I don't know how large an installation would be. I know it won't be a lemur (are multi-touch lcd screens available on the market?), but I'd hope it would be somewhat portable (I'm thinking MCU-ish).

Anyone interested?

Ouch, i jus saw the price, but i like ittttt. Just imagine stuffing that screen in the middle, sorround it wth pots/sliders/encoders and than you can have multiple presets.

Like sifferent screen controls setup + diferent kontrol midi messages for every setup.

I know it is possible withouth the Lemur but you can write on screen what pot does what...

Ouww, the idea is to good it hurts. If I'd find someone to buy/sponsor such device (from me)

so I could just build it. Now I know what I'll ask 4 the next christmas.

Lemur... Honestly although the concept seems really useful and cool I don't think I could actually think of a practical example of a way to use the thing... Plus at that price it's beyond the reach of 99% of the kind of musicians it's supposed to cater to. What a toss.

Like sifferent screen controls setup + diferent kontrol midi messages for every setup.

I know it is possible withouth the Lemur but you can write on screen what pot does what...

You can do that with a midibox :)

MIDIBox is really amazing. I think part of what makes the touch screen so appealing is the cool factor. Personally, the last thing I need is another damn controller, but if someone told me I could build a touch screen environment for about $500, you'd better believe I'd pony up the dough. The Lemur, on the other hand, is too expensive. I think I read somewhere that Apple is working on creating a device similar to the Lemur, but there's not much info to be found on it.

Combining MBHP with a touchscreen wouldn't be that difficult. You'd need some DOUTs controlling a screen (TFT/TV/etc.) and some blank wires crossing the screen vertical and horizontal which are connected to some DINs/DOUTs.

If you touch a part of the screen, a wire of the X-axis comes in contact with a wire of the Y-axis -> signal to the PIC.

I don't know if you know what I mean, but it wouldn't be that difficult to realize.

Might be harder than you've envisioned. What you describe is like the way that digital touchscreens work (as opposed to resistive/conductive analog touchscreens) but you've missed a few little details which are required to make it work.