MIDI to USB converter

vamooos

PLS DO search before posting!! :P

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_usb.html

Anyhow: I really recommend to buy a device (whatever USB2Midi Interface - Midiman or similar) as you won´t save soooo much money anyhow by building this on your own and second it´s kind of a medium to hard DIY project cause of the SMD-Microcontroller and the needed programming of the 24LC IC.

Greets!

In the meantime very cheap USB MIDI interfaces are available

Or the 8x8 EgoSys (ESi) that Thorsten enlightened me to recently. ($150 !!)

Thanks!

George

PS--  If there were ever any interest from knowledgeable parties here:

I've got a MIDIMan "Portman PC/S" 1x1 serial interface here, which was killed back when 2K/XP came out. The guts are really simple. It's "brain" appears to be 3- 18 pin PIC chips (16C54), and the rest of the circuit looks relatively "basic" as well (single-sided board maybe too). The PIC's are all socketed. It's a really cool box, with a nice, thick metal case. You could probably stomp on it without hurting it. It uses the 25 pin female serial connector. With no XP support, it's probably a really cheap eBay item now.

If anyone here with Windows COM port knowledge feels that they may have a shot at doing anything with it, I'd gladly rip it up and map the schematic or board out in Eagle. I can attempt to read the chips too, but I guess it's possible that they're code-protected. When I last looked at it, my PIC apps didn't support that model, but I may be able to find something that would.

* I realize that thing was likely "copyrighted", but hey, it is long dead now, and it would be more to save someone the hassle of building a box, rather than to commercially exploit the dead  copyrighted program code or anything.

• 3 years later...

In the meantime very cheap USB MIDI interfaces are available, like this one for 20 EUR (!):

http://www.thomann.de/de/swissonic_midi_usb_1x1.htm

Hello,

I know this post is quite old... but I wanted to warn others people if they find it and do the same mistake as me : buying the Swissonic MIDI 1x1...

I've built the MBHP_CORE_V3, programmed the PIC and tried to upload MIOS with the Swissonic interface, and I had overrun errors. When searching on the Internet the meaning of this error, I've discovered this page : http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midi_interface_blacklist.

So I'm going to sell the Swisscom 1x1, and I'll probably buy a Midisport 2x2 (hoping it's better).

Or I'll just use my good old computers which all have good old ISA sound card with MIDI :D

Olivier ;)

Yes, the blacklist is still being updated, as we find more challenging tests.

An excellent option for the DIY'er is the GM5, or the GM5X5X5.

Both have been build by a bunch of people here, and bulk orders

have been done (and may still be available..??)

We even have the option of changing the names of the ports, if

you add a small ROM chip.

More info available if you search "GM5" on this site and the WIKI

Have Fun,

LyleHaze

I would love to know if is possible an way to build an DIY MIDI->USB cable.

I got yesterday a old dd-12 yamaha drumpad that has support for midi, and the that cable is the only way to use this dd-12 in my newer computers. But unfortunately, the cable is expensive here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Thanks a lot Soclt and ultra for your offers, but I ordered and received a Midisport 2x2.

Now that I got a little time, I've been able to test it and it works much better, I've been able to program the PIC with MIOSStudio :)

Now I'm stuck with stupid problems :

- I don't have a jack plug, so I had to solder some headphones for now.

- I used connectors everywhere on the core and sid, I've tested and I've the right voltages everywhere... then I plugged every components on the SID PCB and... the J2 connector doesn't fit anymore because of the SID chip. Guess I'll have to cut this connector and solder everything directly but I don't have time right now. That's just bad something like that happen right near the end.

Olivier ;)