Encoder Alternative: The Rotary Pulse Switch

dengel

http://www.knitter-switch.com/Products/eng/main7.htm

Check out the "Rotary Pulse Switch" - It is an analog rotary that mechanically emulates a detented rotary encoder. When you turn the knob clockwise, it generates one signal, and when you turn the other way it sends a different signal.

Like a Joystick, this will take two pot positions in your design, actuated from the same post/knob.

Some people run out of encoders before pots - if you've run out and need encoder type behavior (and have 2 or more open pots left) then this type of switch might make a good substitute for you.

Learned about it here:

http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/switches+indicators_1.htm

I sent them email in order to find where those can be bouught and they didn't respond at all...

that was almost 2 years ago

That's sad....

Also, no, they send different signals clock and counter-clock wise:

There is a special switch that makes a sequence of closures on one set of contacts when turned clockwise, but not counter-clockwise. It makes a sequence of closures on another set of contacts when turned counter-clockwise:

These switches can be wired to a keyboard encoder or a hacked keyboard.

Versions of this switch are made by Knitter-Switch, by Alps Electric Co, Ltd., and by Alpha/Xicon.  Knitter-Switch calls the item a "rotary pulse switch" (model MRP1-20). Alps calls theirs a "pulse/rotation sensor"  (model number SRBM1L).  Elfa carries Alps products. Alpha/Xicon calls their switch a "pulse switch". Mouser carries it. Look for part number 105-SR10030-PS.

The best way to understand these:

When you turn it clockwise, it closes one switch, turn it counter clockwise and it closes another.

Depending on manufacturer/model it will either do x closures per rotation, or only one closure when the direction changes.

This one from Mouser, made by alpha/xicon only closes the respective contacts when the direction changes according to the datasheet.

These don't seem to behave like encoders, and require the same amount of available pins.....I guess I'm not seeing the gain here vs. a real encoder (these cost 5x the price of an encoder).

Best

Smash

I see one cool use for this, and it's not MIDIbox related...

If you have a device that only has inc/dec buttons for some function, it sounds like it would be pretty easy to drop in one of these to use an actual knob.  Just parallel it up with the existing buttons!

Yes, if you use multi pulse rotary switch. I canot see anny good usage of the one pulse per direction rottary switch. It is more easy to increase/decrease by tapping the buttons than turning forth and back many so times with this one pulse switch. What matters is that this switch is almost not usable for MIDIBOX projects.