PlastiDip Coating for Enclosure

toneburst

Anyone tried this as a coating for small ABS enclosures?

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/index.cfm?page=products&prodId=5

I've always loved the idea of 'soft-touch' rubber-type boxes (not that I'm kinky that way, you understand), and I wonder if anyone has ever tried dipping an entire box in this stuff.

They also do

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/index.cfm?page=products&prodId=1

which is similar, I think.

any thoughts anyone?

Alex

http://www.toneburst.net

I think I'd rather spray it on, but yeh it does look interesting.

I wonder if you could stencil or screen it for lettering? Or put a transparency over your case with the overlay design printed on it, and spray the clear stuff over the top......hmmmmm

I haven't used it myself.  My brother used it to coat the forestock of an airsoft gun.  He applied it a bit too heavily in one go, but the result was quite good nonetheless.

Davo

I'll second Davo on the good results rating, I used the spray type on the day boxes in small coats, and was quite happy with the results.  Two of the fire marshals that inspected my 'boxen were impressed also and asked what I had used.  ;)

Best

Smash

That's a pretty cool idea, I'd not thought of using plasti-dip in that way before. I was about to put a thread in the parts questions to see if anybody knew where i could get white soft-touch knobs, but with this stuff I could make my own!

@Davo or SmashTV: What kind of feel does it have when it's been applied? Is it glossy to look at?

Cheers,

Dan

That's a pretty cool idea, I'd not thought of using plasti-dip in that way before. I was about to put a thread in the parts questions to see if anybody knew where i could get white soft-touch knobs, but with this stuff I could make my own!

@Davo or SmashTV: What kind of feel does it have when it's been applied? Is it glossy to look at?

Cheers,

Dan

It's more of a matte appearance.  If you apply it thin enough, it should be good for soft-touch knobs.  There's only one way to find out.

Davo

• 2 weeks later...

*looks at website*

"Soft Coat" Finish. A multi-purpose flexible solvent based coating that won't chip crack or peel. Matt finish.

*feels stupid*

Guess I better get myself a can of this stuff then! Anyone out there know if you can paint over it?