TR-808 Clone PCB!

moogah

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And finally!

I won't recount how many extra steps were involved in getting this into an .mp3, lets just say I can't find my licence for cubase and I spent some time splicing audio in soundforge to remove artifacts from my laptops soundcard >:(

More and better sound clips to come ;D

BRILLIANT~!~

Did you read any of this thread before posting?...

;)

It's cool, I answer this question alot  :)  I think it would help if I could decide on using: Inspiried by "Sebastian's" clone, "MICROlarge's" clone or "Hallucinogen's" clone.  Of course, all of which are the same person :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi toxictv101:

How you plan to use the midio128 to trigger the 808.

Do you gonna use a trigger and an accent for every sound, or you

gonna assign multiple outs to a single drumsound (via a resistor

network or something) to get velocity response?

Sebo

for now i was planning to  just build 4 sounds modul

bass drum, snare,maracas & clap

with midio128 to trig it in midi, without velocity

i ve never think to build it with 4 output with different velocity on each

good idea  :D

i ll do it later.

But i would like later build a complet tr808 with all sound, sequencer, 24ppqn sync etc ...

lot of work :p

i ll post sample of the 4sound808 when it s done , think will finish it tomorow

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :P

Hey Moogah, I just read through your thread over at Ladyada. I like some of your ideas, especially regarding the filter and ring-mod, i'd had similar thoughts myself. I've even designed a simple ring mod based on the AD633, and i'd planned to clone the MS-20 for a filter, perhaps controlled by the accent CV (how's that for cool!).

Gotta say I was pretty shocked by the price you came up with, but I don't think it's unreasonable really, (far more so than the X0X I would say, though I really want one of those! Anyone want to help me build just the analogue part with a CV in??).  Do you have the files for Hallucinogen's clone? I need the schmitt and noise sections for the hat's and cymbal (though I'm undecided on the cymbal, I might leave that out).

Personally I don't have any use for all the 808 sounds, I usually only use the kick snare and hats, so I'm just cloning them along with all the DR-55 & DR-110 sounds.

That said, i'm looking forward to your seeing your project greatly.

Yea, the cost of doing a full kit for people was really outrageos!  To be honest tho, I was relieved to see that it was way more than anybody would want to pay so that I didn't have to consider doing all the extra work required for a full kit.  I'd much rather just provide the barebones stuff and let people benefit from the large amounts of parts I buy so that we don't all have to go through a wild goose chase to complete the parts list.  I'll be posting the eagle files too, so people are free to DIY the whole thing if they want to.

It is frustrating that it's taking so long, I definatly didn't have a good idea of everything that is involved in getting such a large design tested properly when I was thinking I could have it done by the end of summer.  I've probably still got a couple weeks left of waiting for some parts needed to finish the final (hopefully) test board, but so far the build has gone well.. except a mistake with the silkscreen has all the transistors in backwards... I'm busy desoldering now ;)

these are the kind of things that take the most time tho, I've had to really stop and do everything step by step so that I won't overlook things because I'm so familiar with the layout and the circuits, kind of like when you try to proof read something you've just writtin, your bound to miss alot of stuff.  Needless to say I've got several checklists that are pages long that get into every detail I can think of, right down to the exact dimensions for each part and several variants available at mouser that can all fit in a similar PCB footprint in case something is out of stock. 

And there are so many details that I didn't even consider at first which ended up taking alot of time to get sorted out.  I think it took a week and a half to determine the right size of PCB standoff to use!

Working full time has been a double edged sword, too.  I've now got plenty of money to buy extra parts and different parts so that I can get a first hand look at the differences between them, but I just don't have 6 hours a day to spend on doing all the work to get that stuff documented.  I already wish I could have taken the time to photograph this latest build, but at this point I'll plan on doing that with the same board that the first people get so everything looks the same (yes, I'll be building another along with the first people, that will make 4.5 808's for me!).  I'm trying to put a big emphasis on making this friendly to less expirienced builders, because I'd be a real shame for someone to get 90% of it right, but not be able to get a nice finished project due to the sheer size and number of components to deal with.  Things like using lots of visual cues with packages and keeping as many similar circuits in a similar layout have been a priority (and, damn, have I gotten good with eagle!).  There are still some areas that are going to be quite crowded, and I think people are going to have a real hard time with them unless they have a real soldering station (I use the 100$ Weller WES-51 with a 1/64" conical tip, Highly reccomended).  Then there is the proper cleaning procedeure.. I don't want to imagine what it would take to clean rosin flux off this board!  I would highly reccomend using organic flux solder like what comes with MOTM kits, and I'm going to reccomend the same build and cleaning procedeure that Paul does for his kits. 

As far as the added effects, I'm definatly still going to make a daughterboard which can make use of the 6 additional pots that are mounted on the main board.  People will be free to use these for modifications as well, and there are at least 3 unused opamps on board.  I was originally all die hard about using the SEM's filter along with an AD633 ringmod with an envelope follower to provide modulation, but lately I've been thinking that the MS-20 might be a better candidate for the filter (perhaps I've just been listining to too much aphex twin.. can that be a bad thing?).  In either case I want to wait untill people have finished units in hand to get some feedback on what would make the best use of available space. 

Anyways, back to the bench with me!

Oh, yea.. can someone reccomend a good digital camera for me?  Something under $300 that can take nice closeups of a PCB or a component?

I considered the cost of designing kits for some other projects as well - and it's hard to justify.  Generally it makes far more sense to just put in some overtime at work than to throw together a bunch of kits; not like it's intended as a money-making operation, but spending hours every week packaging up kits to ship out isn't exactly a great use of free time. 

PCB + hard-to-find components is one thing, but complete component kits is a different beast altogether.  And what if your sales estimates are off, or people defraud you, etc.?  Then you either get stuck with a bunch of extra boards/components, or lose money, or both...

I agree completely, I have neither the time nor the inclination to source parts for a kit like that, not to mention the financial outlay. I might offer it for my forthcoming DR-55 and DR-110 clones, but that's another story.

Moogah, is there any chance you could pass on the PSU + Noise files for the 808 to me, it doesn't seem to be available from xlarge any more. Also, I may be intersted in acquiring a couple of those hard to get parts if you're interested.

Hi!

I really like this project.

You say you have unused op-amps in there:

if I can recommend a use of that, then perhaps try a stereo, (un)linked action, ducking compressor?

Playing music live is great and all - but you DO need a compressor to get the most out of the soundsystems at most venues. Also it's a "requirement" for many kinds of dancefloor music!

Thanks,

Damian

Whilst I applaud the idea, I'd want a more sophisticated comp than could  be made up with a couple of op-amps! Especially considering the very fast transients involved.

As it happens, I just prepared some toner layouts for a couple of 808 voices. I thought it would be a good idea to do a quick price check, to see how expensive this is likely to be, and I was actually extremely surprised.

To build the bass drum alone (from hallucinogen's layout), it's going to cost somewhere in the region of £17 just for the components for this one voice. Add to that the cost of knobs for all the parameters and the case, and it's obvious that this is not going to be cheap, and this is the least complex of all the 808 voices. I priced up the snare at something like £26.

Obviously those sums are based on buying the minimum quantities of the best components, but the price is still going to be very very high for a whole clone.

I'd planned to build just the kick, snare and hats from the 808, and the kick and snare from the 909, giving a total of 5 voice boards. Taking into account these more complex circuits, i'd say it's going to cost around £120-150 just for these five sounds. For that money, I could get a working 606!

I'm glad to see some people thinking about onboard compression!  That's real high on my list of alternate effects to consider, as I totally agree with the comments made so far.  One of the things I've been considering is adding RogerFoot's PicoComp as a module to the design, it will fit nicely into the case and is a real nice compressor.  Some "lofi" FET compressors could be real interesting as well.

I'd planned to build just the kick, snare and hats from the 808, and the kick and snare from the 909, giving a total of 5 voice boards. Taking into account these more complex circuits, i'd say it's going to cost around £120-150 just for these five sounds. For that money, I could get a working 606!

Yea, price has been a constant concern, even worse when you consider that I'm using lighted switches for the SEQ!  However, I'm confident that my layout along with the parts I'm using makes for an affordable option, the price of the pots I've got makes a big difference.  I got real lucky and found a large lot of the most common sizes of pot we need for .45 cents each.  Good quality Alps RK09L's too.  Same with the opamps and transistors, the average price on the JRC4558's I've got is under .25 cents each and the trannies are averaging .15 cents.  All added together and I think you can build the entire thing for about the same cost as doing a full set of Sebastion's boards, assuming you bought a case for it :)

However... I just found that one of my large lots of 2SC945's is of suspicious quality.. I'm not going to send them out to people and will need to order a few hundred more from somewhere.

For the 2SC945, try this shop:  http://www.mainelectronics.com/bulksemi.htm

It's local to me, and I've bought stuff from them in the past.  Not sure if they have hundreds, or if $0.17 (CDN) each is a good price or not.  Worth a call, though.  And if they're crap, I can go by and rough 'em up a little (no, not really, but I will go in and complain if you have problems).  As much as I don't want to reveal my sources, they even have CA3080Es (DIY synth freaks take note), though they're a bit pricey at $1.50 each.  Still...

Jeez, $1.50 for CA3080?! I remember they were virtually giving them away a few years back!

FWIW, you can directly replace the CA3080 with an LM31600, which is two 3080's in a 14pin package, so some layout changes are needed.

With regards to cost, for my part the pots and switches are the killer. The rest of the components are just pennies, and the PCB's I make myself. The way I worked out the cost is by buying all the components for one module at a time, as that's how i'd planned to build my clone, by making up one complete module every week or two. 

The case I was planning to have made for me to resemble the 909, but in a smaller form. That will be made up by my dad for no money as we already have all the materials, it will just cost a bit to have the face printed up.

FWIW, you can directly replace the CA3080 with an LM31600, which is two 3080's in a 14pin package, so some layout changes are needed.

NOT - 2 complitely different OTAs from different manufacturers. Substitution involves also some minor changes in the surrounding circuit.

Moebius