MIDIbox of the Week (MIDIbox SID of Phonaut)

TK.

Here are some pictures of Phonauts Red/Black MIDIbox SID.

It took him 1.5 years to finalize the MIDIbox, but as you can see: it works, and the result looks just great! :)

He wrote

nach 1,5 Jahren Bauzeit möchte ich dir auch mal ein paar Bilder 

meiner MidiBox SID zukommen lassen.

An der Stelle nochmals vielen Dank an dich für dieses Projekt und die 

Freizeit die du denn Bastler opferst.

Die 4 Schrauben zum befestigen der Frontplatte fehlen mir noch, da 

ich noch keine Holz- oder Blech-Inbusschrauben in der Größe gefunden 

habe. Ansonsten aber voll einsatzbereit :).

zu den Daten:

- 2 x SID 8580R5

- optimized PSU C64

- Frontplatte von Schaeffer (inspiriert durch Jurbo's and TK's 

MidiBox SID)

- Platinen von Mike

- Bauteile von Reichelt, Voti und Conrad

- Knöpfe von RS-Components

- Gehäuse aus MDF

tino1.jpg

tino2.jpg

tino3.jpg

tino4.jpg

tino5.jpg

tino6.jpg

@Sinnsyk

The wooden case (mdf) is handmade by myself used a Saw, a Hammer a rasp and sandpaper. At last i varnished it 5 times.

As SLP said, the frontpanel is made by Schaeffer. I decide to design a very cost-effective panel, by using black aluminium. So it is not necessary to fill the letters with color. As you can see i use just short words like "Fltr" and lines an letters used the same stylus. So Schaeffer don't need to change the tool.

The backpanel is also made by Schaeffer.

@audiocommander

i like the smooth red colored led's ;)

The last parts missing are the mounting-screws for the panels because i cant find allen-screws for the wooden case. My 2 electribes uses such screws but i dont want to cannibalize it from there ;)

Regards

Phonaut

This is really nice box. I see you spend some time looking for perfect maching knobs. Great selection. I`m also glad you prefer red LEDs over the popular blue ones. Red gear always looks kinda devilish to me. As pay_c already said negative red/black display would be kickass. I saw it somewhere but I think they are much expensive than regular LCDs. I want to use one from the first time I saw it. Really bautifull. Anyway, great looking box, one of my favorites. You waited a long time for it, but I far as I can see it`s worth it. ;)

I once damaged the backlight from a blue 2x16 LCD 'cause I had a soldering error on my Core... then I found an orange one @pollin.de for 1,- EUR and simply exchanged em. It was hell getting the new backlight in, because it's about 0.5mm thicker, but in the end I got it... now I got a dark orange backlight with bright orange chars... looks like it would perfectly suit your box!  (but I won't give it away ;D)

• 1 month later...