MIDIbox SEQ V3 Teaser IV

TK.

Here a quick demonstration of the Button/Duo-LED matrix extension:

->

it isn't built into a case yet, therefore I had to push the buttons very carefully due to the loose caps.

The frontpanel will be ordered today (it's sponsored from the donations! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Just think about it: do you think that I would ever throw away my existing MIDIbox SEQ frontpanel?

Apparently, it's an optional feature, and I for myself will built this into a seperate 19" rack case.

The sequencer works nice without the Button/Duo-LED matrix - it's just one of many features :)

The schematic is a mix of the button and historic single-colour LED matrix, I will publish it once I find the time to draw the connections.

Here some additional infos from the ChangeLog:

[tt]

o overworked LED matrix, implemented button matrix

There are several configurations possible, here the tested ones:

a) historic 4x16 LED matrix which replaces the 1x16 GP LED row

Required settings in main.asm (or alternatively setup_*.asm) - search for the values and change the numbers:

#define DEFAULT_SRM_ENABLED    1        ; enable the LED matrix

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_L1    3        ; DOUT register of the left side (8 LEDs)

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_R1    4        ; DOUT register of the right side (8 LEDs)

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_CATHODES1      5 ; DOUT register which controls the LED cathodes - 4 pins used

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_CATHODES1      6 ; can be optionally selected if LEDs with high power consumption are used

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_DUOCOLOUR      0 ; no DUO colour LEDs

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_L2    0        ; only relevant for DUO colour LEDs

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_R2    0        ; only relevant for DUO colour LEDs

#define DEFAULT_SRM_BUTTONS_ENABLED 0    ; no button matrix

#define DEFAULT_SRM_BUTTONS_NO_UI  0    ; only relevant for button matrix

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DIN_L      0        ; only relevant for button matrix

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DIN_R      0        ; only relevant for button matrix

Note: compared to the old schematic, the cathodes are now mirrored!

This means that you have to change the wiring on your existing hardware

Upper Row:  DOUT pin D7

second Row: DOUT pin D6

third Row:  DOUT pin D5

fourth Row: DOUT pin D4

b) 16 "GP LEDs" + 4x16 seperate LED matrix

recommented solution, since this allows the firmware to display menu parameters seperately below the LCDs

Required settings in main.asm (or alternatively setup_*.asm) - search for the values and change the numbers:

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_L1    6        ; DOUT register of the left side (8 LEDs)

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_R1    9        ; DOUT register of the right side (8 LEDs)

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_CATHODES1      5 ; DOUT register which controls the LED cathodes - 4 pins used

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_CATHODES1      6 ; can be optionally selected if LEDs with high power consumption are used

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_DUOCOLOUR      0 ; no DUO colour LEDs

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_L2    0        ; only relevant for DUO colour LEDs

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_R2    0        ; only relevant for DUO colour LEDs

c) 16 "GP LEDs" + 4x16 seperate DUO LED matrix

recommented solution, since this allows the firmware to display menu parameters seperately below the LCDs

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_L1    6        ; DOUT register of the left side (8 LEDs)

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_R1    9        ; DOUT register of the right side (8 LEDs)

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_CATHODES1      6 ; SHOULD be selected with DUO LEDs (high power consumption)

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_DUOCOLOUR      1 ; DUO colour LEDs

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_L2    7        ; only relevant for DUO colour LEDs

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_R2    10        ; only relevant for DUO colour LEDs

d) 16 "GP LEDs" + 4x16 seperate DUO LED matrix + 4x16 seperate button matrix

The 4x16 additional buttons should only control the step gates (and other assigned triggers)

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_CATHODES1      6 ; SHOULD be selected with DUO LEDs (high power consumption)

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_DUOCOLOUR      1 ; DUO colour LEDs

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_L2    7        ; only relevant for DUO colour LEDs

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DOUT_R2    10        ; only relevant for DUO colour LEDs

#define DEFAULT_SRM_BUTTONS_ENABLED 1    ; using button matrix

#define DEFAULT_SRM_BUTTONS_NO_UI  1    ; only control gates (and other assigned triggers) with these buttons

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DIN_L      11        ; DIN register of the left side

#define DEFAULT_SRM_DIN_R      12        ; DIN register of the right side

o there are now 4 additional buttons and LEDs for selecting the

track group (G1=track 1-4, G2=track 5-8, G3=track 9-12, G4=track 13-16)

The pin assignments are made in mios_tables.inc (or within the setup_*.asm file)

[/tt]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: thanks for your nice feedback! :)

Thorsten, its hard to find proper words for your work and dedication. You cannot suprise me with capabilities of any new MB project, but I`m always amazed and thrilled with it. I`ve got that session 4 video on my flash drive so I can take it with me where ever I go and play it to the friends. I played it so meny times hipnotised looking at those blinking lights.

That track is just great, definitly my style. ;D Different from what I`ve heard before and  much better. Sounds like Aphex Twin ambient works. Really nice. Congratulations.

Today I received 40x2 LCDs for MB SEQ I am going to built. :) I wanted to make old stile SEQ but when I saw those 4 track of dual LED buttons I decided to wait till it comes to light because it is so amazing and looks more usefull and clear what and when is going on. I`ve never have chance to work with musical hardver so for me it wil be really great experience building and playing with this sequencer. Countless Thank You, and keep on making good music. ;)

And it supports multiple outputs, so you could, just for example Ryk ;) modify it to drive DOUTs for your analog drum gates when you select a certain output, without removing the normal midi capabilities :D ... But that's a thought for another thread :)

• 3 weeks later...

And it supports multiple outputs, so you could, just for example Ryk ;) modify it to drive DOUTs for your analog drum gates when you select a certain output, without removing the normal midi capabilities :D ... But that's a thought for another thread :)

Which'er me hopes! :)  I'm going to stick to the 'drum controller' thoughts on my current collection of modules. My modular is ready. :)  I just got my Ken Stone Cynare Drum Simulator completed last weekend, and my modular is happily playing a Bass Drum / Snare Drum / Hihat groove, from my divide by 7 counter and 8 Gates out sequencer.  But I can't WAIT until I can control the thing from my MIDIbox contraption. ;)

Now - if I only had all of the parts that I needed NOW - I could complete it in a couple of days ...... alas. ;)

Ryk

http://www.sdiy.org/damian - my modular synthesizer's homepage

• 5 weeks later...

All I can say (again):  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Made it up again, TK! Will have to rip my Seq V2 apart and put it together again, I think.  ;)

I really really really have no time, but that's again some type of machine bringing up the *havetobuild* habit in me. In my opinion (beside the Synthies) the BEST thing up to now you've managed here, TK! I have NO idea how you implement all that stuff within that little PIC uC, it's just amazing work (throw those Microchip example proggis to the dustbin, TK is coming!)!

Thorsten, I have played that video over and over.  I agree with the comments about the track too - nice piece!

I have a small question:  given the limitations of the PIC you're using (the new one if I remember right), what are the theoretical maximum x and y dimensions of 1/ a LED and button matrix 2/ a LED-only or button-only matrix?

Thankyou.

Thank you both! :)

Today I migrated a MIDIbox SEQ of a friend, he was speakless when I demonstrated all the new features, and the whole time I saw a big smile on his face! :)

I have a small question:  given the limitations of the PIC you're using (the new one if I remember right), what are the theoretical maximum x and y dimensions of 1/ a LED and button matrix 2/ a LED-only or button-only matrix?

You mean for MBSEQ or in general? However, for both I can say, it's only a software, not a hardware problem. Even the limitation of 16 DIN/16 DOUT chain can be solved by adding a second chain to other free pins. But for MBSEQ I cannot recomment this, because this will affect the realtime capabilities.

For a standalone matrix, I would assume that there is enough CPU free for 3 additional 16 DIN/16 DOUT chains when the guy who programs this has good assembly skills (you have to optimize the handlers like I did in the SRIO driver - unrolled code)

Best Regards, Thorsten.