MIDIBOX USB question

napierzaza

I have a question about the USB module.

It says you need a 24LC64 eeprom for the project, but I wonder, is it okay to use a Microchip 24LC512-I/PG in place of the 24LC64? I realize that the 512 is hugely larger, but I have a number of those around because I bought 3 and got a couple samples too. I assume I can change it to a LC64 later, but wonder if I can get it functioning with a 512 first?

Also, is there any information for installing the firmware onto the eeprom in Windows XP? It appears as if it doesn't work (it just doesn't identify the driver files as valid when I browse and find them).

I've even dragged them into the System32 folder and no such luck in identifying the module. I even unplugged the eeprom.

Starting the ez-usb control panel says there's nothing plugged in.

Hi Napierzaza,

I think I remember about such problems as well like it was working on Windows 98 but not on Windows 2000. Unfortunately, I can't absolutely not remember how I did solve the problem.

Another option (far less elegant I agree) is to burn directly the eeprom with the code. You simply need to convert the executable using a small program (I don't have it at hand and don't remember the name by heart) and burn it into the eeprom and you're done.

Best regards,

Lall

Like I said, or should have said, there was no eeprom on the board, so I was thinking of using a (very definitely) 512k eeprom.

Lall... :( I don't know anough about this sort of stuff to use that information, though it seems very close to helping me. If I could burn the eeprom though, however that might be possible... would it work on Windows and other OS'es afterwards or is the USB module completely defunct? It seems like it wasn't very popular and not one has really posted about it since 2003.

i was definately communicting to them thru windows 2000

once programmed they should work with newer os's

nothing has happened to them to make me beleive that the smd chips are no good if i thought they where complete junk i wouldn't have passed them on

good luck

kris

Programming works fine under WinXP. Once the module is connected w/o EEPROM, Windows should ask for the drivers.

If this message doesn't pop up, than it's very likely an issue with the USB connection, or with the module itself (bad solderings?)

A 24LC512 EEPROM cannot be used, as it has a 16bit address register, but only EEPROMs with 8bit address register are supported

However, once your module is detected by Windows, and once the Cypress driver is installed, you can temporary upload the mbhp_usb_midi*.hex file through the EzMr Control Panel - you have to do this after each restart manually. With the EEPROM, the firmware will be available permanently.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey, thanks for the responses...

Kris, I wasn't implying that the units in particular were bad, far from it, what I was wondering was whether it was a deprecated chip because of OS upgrades etc or something else that might have happened since then. The unit looks in good working condition and the SMD looks to be well done and undamaged! One problem though was that .1uf ceramic caps were used instead of 1uf electrolytic caps, but I replaced those.

Thorsten, it indeed asks for drivers when I plug it into my XP machine, I located the folder with the drivers but it responds saying there was nothing in that folder that could be used.

Also I had moved the .inf and the two driver files into my System32 folder and it appears to have no effect.

Is there something else I should be doing apart from trying to browse,find and select the firmware files? I'm a little spotty on driver installation.

I will locate the proper eeprom chip so that I might upload it forever.

Really? That's really weird. I'll try and look for alternatives. Does this possibly mean that the eeprom (.bin) file wouldn't work if I happened to upload it?

Side note: I was wondering just now whether you had any stats to how many midiboxes were out there, and of which kind. It seems like an interesting idea, I guess Smash/Mike could shed some light but it'd be interesting to know how many were out there.

hey napierzaza

no offence was taken

i was trying to make it clear that i think it could be something simple as you seemed to be getting down with them

it was loading the cypress drivers where i had problems

good luck kris

Hi,

Okay, in terms of eeprom how about a X24C00P?

That one is unfortunately way too small...

Reading the thread I think I remember now having used an alternative driver for the EZ-USB that a friend of mine was using in his company. I can't remember though when the problems started to happen with the official driver. I don't remember if I fucked up something at the install, played with something I shouldn't or simply had bad luck...

The fact that Windows triggers you that a new hardware has been found and tries to let you install the corresponding driver would mean to me that the USB is working OK and that the chip is doing the basic stuff it needs to do so that the PC can see it. It looks in a way like the match between the driver and the device found cannot be made.

Best regards,

Lall

You're correct, nothing more needed.

Note that if you get the alternate (or not) drivers working, you can already play with the chip without an eeprom as these should allow you to load code in the RAM of the chip. That's actually an easier way to make debugging than burning a new image each time in eeprom.

Best regards,

Lall

Not sure what you mean by debugging. Do you mean the process of having it identified and then loading the program onto the eeprom? That's all I want to do.

If you mean to imply that I'll be writing any code for the USB module... I'm not. I certainly hope the alternate or original firmwares are sufficient.

Rapid in the UK have 24LC64 for £0.62 plus VAT and Carriage

http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?kw=24lc64&tier1=Electronic+Components&tier2=Micros+%26+Crystals&tier3=Memory&tier4=Serial+EEPROMs&moduleno=35151

They have a lot of other useful stock too. Otherwise I could put some on my  next order and do you a swap for something.

Hope this helps

Mike

Okay, so now I have my eeproms and I'm trying to get it working again. I got some other firmware and stuff but there seems to be and issue. Windows identifies it as a usb  device, but that its ID is 0000. WOuld this be the case before you loaded the driver or does this mean theres some physical problem with the module?

Also the light in the top left of the module (one of the activity lights) appears to flash now and then, this is strange as there is nothing connected. In the second module no less than 3 of the activity lights are lit, but there are lit statically and don't flash.